Home Conservation Forums

Eagle's Nest Question

The phone person at the FWC said that if someone was clearing land within 300 feet of an eagle's nest that is on the FWC website (they know about it) that they only will investigate if the eagle is visibly upset. This eagle pair has been flying nesting material to the nest but now seems to be gone. I would assume that if they were visibly upset that they have decided to build their nest elsewhere and we missed the upset phase.

Have eagles come back from near extinction enough that this person was correct, that you can go in and clear land 100 or so feet from a known nesting site.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    if they know about it, you might have some trouble.......in the 90's I had to take an oath, signed in blood, and after about 7 years of being a hunting guest on the plantation, I was showed the nest that was there for decades .....the owner knew that if the Feds. found out about it . there would be a large surrounding area that would be closed off for all........might be easier nowdays.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    They never were near extinction in FL. We have the next highest number of Bald Eagles after Alaska. Since they were placed on the endangered list/banning of DDT they've made a huge recovery. In my area we have a bunch of them and it's not unusual to see them feeding on road kills with a flock of buzzards. I have seen nests on the St. Johns River, Stick Marsh/Farm13, Blue Cypress Lake and the Garcia Impoundment.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    Just wait until winter when you start seeing the sea gulls hanging out in inshore shopping mall parking lots and such.

Then that is the time that if you go tour the county landfills you will see a remarkable number of them scavenging along side the buzzards and gulls.

No shortage of them in Florida.