Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Paver Driveway

Need some advise here. Should I have my new paver driveway sealed? If not, just pressure wash every few years? Any pitfalls to having it sealed? Water based sealer or the other kind?
Completely lost here, just don't have the knowledge in this area. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Enough AlreadyEnough Already Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Sealing can bring out the color and hold in the sand but you need to do it right. I used a xylene based product and rolled it on heavy. Looked great for a while (2 years) but was pretty slippery. Now I have an issue where the coat is fogged up and looks like a milky sheen across big areas. What I have found out is that 2 light coats, preferrably sprayed is the way to go. I just got an estimate today to chemically strip and re-do mine right - $800. Almost $1,400 if I want it sand-blasted. You will need to look at water-based vs. xylene based pros/cons of each.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 987 Officer
    I know folks that really paid for pressure washing pavers.....they blasted the sand right out from between and under the pavers.....
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I was told and did use just Thompson Waterseal. Mainly to keep the diesel fuel from dripping in. It worked fine and I just sprayed it on with a chemical sprayer every month or so. When I pressure washed it I just did it at a sharp angle so i wouldn't clean the sand out.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • GTSRGTSR Posts: 750 Officer
    Toyotas dont drip
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,964 Captain
    Use the round thing a ma gig that floats on top of water to pressure clean not the wand..
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    :Agree X2

:Agree X 3

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • First BornFirst Born Posts: 85 Deckhand
    Go with a xylene based sealer rolled on with absolutley no moisture on the pavers. Typically moisture will cause those white spots. Before rolling on sealer you might want to pressure clean and sweep "mason" sand into the joints with a push broom and then sweep off all the residual sand. Sealing will help keep the sand into the joints. I never tried spraying on sealer but have heard that some of the chemical compounds in the sealer will actually dry before hitting surface of paver. If your doing a pool deck be careful with two coats cause it can get slick.
  • AlwaysSomethingAlwaysSomething Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    At this point I decided to not do anything. Besides the extremely steep price I was quoted, I really did not see any upside. Mostly negatives and as mentioned above the problems that can stem from sealing. In the future they can always be done. I was a little concerned about sealing new concrete anyway. I would think it would take a couple of months maybe more for new concrete to cure fully and all the water to be gone. Maybe that's why some pavers that are sealed immediately get that white cloud effect. Think I'll wait for now. ee how they hold up. Thanks for the help.