Home General Paddle Craft

Anglins Beach offshore 11/05

Planned to catch mullet from dania around 5am but the creeks and ramps were empty. Picked up half a dozen gogs from anglers on the way. Launched from anglins around 7:30, late start. Slight north current and south wind kept us from drifting. Slow jigging, only caught an almaco and aj. The others pretty much skunked besides one aj and grouper. Missed a big cuda on live bait. Saw a huge mahi go airborn but nothing swam close enough to notice my bait. Winds picked up, started to head back in around 11am. Got a king on the way in. Rain poured on us. **** weather shorted out our day.

Heres the vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvdSUgAWpR8
If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,914 Captain
    Nice report and video...too bad the weather went bad -- Decent haul for a short trip. Your reel has a good clicker, most conventional reels are not made for that level of clicker use. An Avet would be burned out after one or two fish with the clicker on -- $10 plus labor to replace the clicker gear. Glad to hear that no one lost any gear, but sucks that 2 kayakers flipped. I was out Friday - almost no drift, and wind setting kayak SW...very slow for jigging most the day, but a slow pick on live bait.
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 536 Officer
    Thanks! Nice to get some rod bending action after not being out in the water for so long. I love the clicker on the shimano, the avet is sometimes silent. Im gonna end up selling the avet and get my first daiwa reel (non electric). Gonna look at the saltist 2 speed, I like the blue color.
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Nice video!
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    Any safe day out there when you can bend a rod is a great day!
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Nice video Remy, and congrats on the Kingfish. The Almaco was a good size too, hope you kept it, they are sooo much better than AJs!

Sidenote: Am I the only person who turns off the clicker when fighting the fish? Makes for boring videos on my part, but I feel like its safer for the reels?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 536 Officer
    I like to the sound of screaming drag. Im used to it on a spinning reel, but the conventional is so much better because of the louder clickers.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,914 Captain
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Sidenote: Am I the only person who turns off the clicker when fighting the fish? Makes for boring videos on my part, but I feel like its safer for the reels?

Agree - Clickers are made to report a bite, then be shut off for the fight. If you leave your clicker on while fighting a fish on a head boat, the deck hand will usually yell at you to turn it off. It may look impressive to an unfamilier video viewers, but unprofessional to leave it on during a fight IMO, plus puts undue wear on the reel -- different strokes for different folks.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 519 Officer
    Nice video and nice fish.