Home Conservation Forums

Out of state vessel title, error HIN

I purchased a vessel from NY. I was getting my stuff ready to go to the tax collector to register it, and noticed the HIN is one letter off. I went on down to the tax collector anyway. They said they couldn't help me. That I had to contact the NY Title Bureau. So, I called them. To the person there, I explained that to register the boat in FL (according to the tax collector in FL), I needed a letter stating that there was a clerical error on the title, and that the correct HIN is TTU32009D001.....not TTV32009D001, or that they could just issue a new title. She said they cannot issue a new title because I am not a NY resident. She also said she could not verify there was an error because they are only required to archive the paperwork for 5 years, and the paperwork that my title was produced from has been destroyed (title produced in 2010). She said all she could do is issue a letter stating the paperwork that the title is based on had been destroyed. I've been waiting for that letter for about 1 wk now. Doubting they will even send it.

I know the first 3 letters are the manuf ID. TTU is definitely correct as this is a Thunder powerboat, 33 LOA. TTV is the ID for Tidecraft, they dont make any boats over 20' according to the NADA.

Anyway, I am getting sent in circles. I called the Brevard tax collector again yesterday. I wanted to speak with one of their specialists, but the lady said that is not possible. When I was initially there, they did give me a copy of a paper from their book that stated this:
When the department receives an application containing an out-of-state certificate of title and the applicant is requesting a correction to the vehicle identification number (VIN), the following should be submitted:

• An original letter on letterhead stationery from the motor vehicle division of the state the certificate of title was last issued. The letter must state that the vehicle identification number on the certificate of title is incorrect and indicate the correct VIN number.
• The applicant must have a corrected certificate of title issued in that state before Florida will issue a certificate of title.
NOTE: There may be situations when the VIN number can be verified as an obvious error (i.e., the National Automobile Theft Bureau (NATB) book or VIN edit shows that an “S” should be a “5”). A Division of Motorist Services Regional office administrator/supervisor has the authority to review and authorize the correction. Instead of one of the two requirements listed above, you may accept written authorization from the administrator/supervisor on letterhead stationery.

So, I asked since it seems like just an error, if one of their superv/admins could review it. She said that only applies to cars (VIN), and then mentioned something about the marine patrol before she put me on hold. Then came back on the phone and said my best bet was to go back to the tax collector.:willynilly

So the question here is, should I go talk to the marine patrol? I dont seem to be getting anywhere with the nuts at the tax collector. Thanks


  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,248 Officer
    I would contact FWC and see if they can help. If not you may have to get a court order correcting the HIN. You could contact the Clerk Of Court and see if they have a process you can complete without an attorney. Good Luck.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,798 Captain
    This is a perfect scenario of how there is too much government involved = cluster. In Ga, you don't have to title boats.
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    I would contact FWC and see if they can help. If not you may have to get a court order correcting the HIN. You could contact the Clerk Of Court and see if they have a process you can complete without an attorney. Good Luck.

    I will email FWC. I've got a friend who is a maritime lawyer, but dont want to bug him with this. It seems like it should be such a common sense solution to match the new title with the make of the boat..........but we are dealing with gov't here.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    How was the sales transaction conducted? Do you have a bill of sale or a sales contract with the correct HID number on it?

    Or did they just sign a line on a paper title they had and hand the title to you and send you on your way? If you have sales paperwork with the correct number on it, I think the change approval will be easier.

    That is ..........if you are prepared to pay FL sales tax on the sale.:wink
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Yeah, I'll pay FL sales tax. I bought from a dealer in WA. He just reassigned the title. The BOS, I am sure he copied from the title, and has the incorrect HIN as well. I think I'm going to hire a person who does title work to do it. If $200 can make it all disappear...........well worth it.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    Yes if someone will do it for you for $200 that may be less hassle.

    I think if you got the dealer to send you a corrected bill of sale and you took just the bill of sale to a tax office, and didn't even mention a "paper title" from another state existed, they would register it in FL.

    I know person to person boat sales in FL are legal and binding simply writing out a bill of sale on a piece of paper listing ID numbers of boat, trailer, and motor.......then DL numbers and signatures of both parties.

    Never had any issue doing it like that..........heck they didn't even ask that it be notarized.

    Good luck, hope you get it done without too much grief.
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    We will see what comes of it. I emailed him/dealer but no answer. The tax collector told me to bring the titles to the boat and trailer when I asked what I needed to register it.
    Hopefully the "title goddess" will take the case and crank on them.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!


Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.


Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now