Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ocean Conditions

Marko2885Marko2885 Palmetto Bay, FLPosts: 102 Deckhand
Just a question, hope I don't seem dumb but i have not been in Florida long (only a few years) but more importantly a boat owner for the last 2 seasons. I know there was some major storms that came through but why has it been so rough still since the storms have passed? I know summer is a time the ocean usually is nicer and you can get offshore easier but last year at this time if I remember the weather wasnt this rough.

Thanks for any comments back, also what do you look for in the future weather forecast to know it if it will be a rough week or calm seas bssides the marine forecast apps? Thank you! :huh

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    It has been nasty for almost 2 weeks but looks
    like Saturday looks good we will be fishing.This
    time of the year cold fronts bring strong NE winds
    and rough seas.But also some good fishing,get out
    there and catch them up.
  • savemejebussavemejebus Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    winter is coming
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    I was out running around the ocean this morning...nice out...not flat...but nice!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,725 Captain
    Anyone that fishes will have to learn a bit about weather... Here's a few
    tips to get you started....

Whatever the wind is supposed to be -add 5 to 10 mph for ocean conditions...

In winter our weather is ruled by cold fronts. Winds normally come out of the east, southeast in summer -northeast in winter. As a front approaches the wind shifts to the south, then southwest, then to the west, the to the northwest as the front passes,ending with the wind dead out of the north... Depending on the strength of the front it could be mild -or the winds could be howling - and very dangerous.

Watch your local forecasts and you'll learn when it's okay and when it's not safe at all to be Oceanside.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,375 Officer
    What Lemay wrote is the best condensed version of our winter weather i have ever seen !!

I would like to add one thing. When the wind direction is blowing straight against the Gulf Stream current it will slightly increase the wave height and also push the wave period closer together, and if you are in a small boat it will be significantly rougher when this occurs.

For example, say the wind is out of the NE at 12 knots for all of South Fla. The waves off of Key Biscayne will not be as high as those off of N. Key Largo, since the Gulf Stream turns toward the north off of Fowey Rocks Light and the wind will not be blowing straight into the current. This might not be important for offshore designed boats, but i basically take out a bay boat to fish the reef on calm winter days and this factor often determines where i launch.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Marko2885Marko2885 Palmetto Bay, FLPosts: 102 Deckhand
    Great information, thank you! Now I know what to look for when planning for a better day, again thank you to all :USA
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 659 Officer
    When the wind is from the North, grab the big rods!!!
    But anyone who gets seasick, leave them at home LOL
  • Marko2885Marko2885 Palmetto Bay, FLPosts: 102 Deckhand
    I just can't wait til this weather turns around for the better, its been very windy and forecasted 8-11ft seas for quite some time now. Hopefully soon it will subside and we can get back out and do what we all love, have a beautiful relaxed day out on the water.
  • conquistadorconquistador Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Marko2885 wrote: »
    I just can't wait til this weather turns around for the better, its been very windy and forecasted 8-11ft seas for quite some time now. Hopefully soon it will subside and we can get back out and do what we all love, have a beautiful relaxed day out on the water.

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/651.html?MR=1

Friday...maybe...I've already prepped my boss that I may take off that day.

Also to add to your post....Fall is a windy time due to the changing temperatures north of us. For things to calm down we need < 15 mph winds.
    1996 24' CC w/300 Yamaha - Sold