Home Ask the Law!

Canadian Hunter

team-dirt-napteam-dirt-nap Posts: 3 Greenhorn
I have a buddy at work who is from Newfoundland and he is here on a work visa doing an internship with our company. So far, he has shot his first gun and we hooked him up with an old bow he is learning how to shoot now. Basically, we are trying to turn him into the biggest redneck we can before he goes back to Canada. I want to take him down to the houseboat this weekend for the opening weekend of squirrel season, but I am not sure about getting him a hunting license, him carrying a gun, etc. I am going to give the FWC or ATF a call and check it out, but I was just wondering if anyone had any info about the requirements for a Canadian citizen hunting here in the US. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,015 Moderator
    All it takes is a non resident hunting license. I've hunted and fished in Canada a lot. No reason it would be different for a Canadian to hut down here.

Check the South section. I'm sure they have a lot of Cubans who hunt :)
  • NathanNathan Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    As Jack said, make sure he has a non-resident hunting license. As for carrying a gun, as long as he is here legally on a valid work visa he can buy and possess firearms.

Nathan
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Nathan wrote: »
    As Jack said, make sure he has a non-resident hunting license. As for carrying a gun, as long as he is here legally on a valid work visa he can buy and possess firearms.

Nathan

Hunting license lets him bring his own gun down or probably use someone else's but I doubt it lets him legally buy a gun unless it's a grey market transaction.

http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

"Also, non-citizen cannot purchase a firearm from a federally licensed firerams dealer unless they have been a resident of their state for 90 days."
    Since he is down on a work visa and assuming he's not on track to become a permanent resident of the state he'll never reach that 90 day mark even if he's here for 5 years.