Home General Fishing

Trolling planers

freshbaitfreshbait Posts: 41 Greenhorn
What is the largest weighted item you can troll behind a size six planer without tripping? Can you troll a large yozuri bonita, what about a larger skirt like a black Bart San sal? If you can troll items heavier than planer, what keeps the planer from tripping?

Replies

• freshbaitfreshbait Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    65 views and no replies? I'm starting to wonder if anyone on here this site really goes fishing.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,325 Captain
    Just a guess but planers aren't much in fashion these days (what with deep-dropping and downriggers). As far as what will or won't trip your planer a bit of experimentation should sort that out in a hurry. It's been at least 30 to 35 years since I last used them - but I long ago left blue water....

Wait a few days before giving up - you might get some responses yet.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • terrapinterrapin Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Years (and years) ago, a neighbor, who was a commercial kingfish man, gave me one of his planers. I set it up with an outrigger clip and secured it with cord to a cleat on the stern. I think I caught more fish with that than any one position (outriggers and flat lines). The downside of that was having to clear weeds and pull it up after getting a fish, or getting a hit, while still moving, as the planer didn't trip.
  • seabassassassinseabassassassin Posts: 87 Deckhand
    I haven't tried it, but I don't think you'll be able to pull a yozuri bonita behind a planer. Maybe a #16 or #24. I may be wrong, but I think the San Sal Candy has a flat front. I would lean more towards bullet headed lures. Seawitches with medium ballyhoo shouldn't be an issue and you can probably pull an iilander junior with a ballyhoo.
    Redfish Boats - Bull Red Tournament Edition
    USCG 6-Pack
  • pretenderpretender Posts: 148 Deckhand
    I wouldn't troll a Bonita or black Bart from a planer. Troll a sea witch or islander or something of that nature
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,314 Officer
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    a bit of experimentation should sort that out .

Exactly