Home Conservation Forums

mandatory evacuation?

voltmanvoltman Posts: 150 Deckhand
are you required to evacuate by law? or can you choose to shelter in place ?

Replies

• If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,133 Officer
    Pretty sure they won't arrest you. That being said you are on your own if you need help during the storm. Emergency responders won't come if you need them.
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    no arrest but they will ask you for your next of kin just in case you are killed
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    We stopped using the terms "voluntary" and "mandatory" a few years ago in SC. You can't really make someone evacuate.
  • voltmanvoltman Posts: 150 Deckhand
    thanks guys, it was just a question ,personally i would evacuate if it was called mandatory,but my concern would never be the evacuation its the returning.it seems they have there head up there rear , as to when to allow people back in there neighborhoods,,,in my opinion ,its simple ,
    when the storm is over .
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    usually you have to wait 1/2 day after the storm so they can run an inspection to see how safe it is to return trees,electric wires, floods
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    When the storm is over you still have downed power lines, sometimes no water, trees down across road, etc. Better to stay away until the authorities allow residents to return. And they don't have their "heads up their rear." We pay them specifically to protect the public not to make things easy for a few malcontents!
  • Like stated above, they ask for next of kin to scare you!
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,897 Captain
    The issue is looting. Residents aren't allowed to return, but somehow the fn crooks make it through. Just had that problem after Hermine...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    The issue is looting. Residents aren't allowed to return, but somehow the fn crooks make it through. Just had that problem after Hermine...

Exactly the reason we stay in our neighborhood. Home very secure, smart folks preparing properly, lots of generators and the best part, on a dead end street with just 18 homes, there are at least 12 AR's ready to protect the neighborhood!

Actually no one comes down our street without being on camera!