Skip to main content
Home Boating

Need help with a trailer tire issue please

BailiwickBailiwick Posts: 13 Greenhorn
Friends, I have a Skeeter 24 Bay with Goodyear Marathon 205 75 14 Load C tires. I've had 6 flat tires in two years on the interstate, and 4 were from separation (others from nails).

This one happened today.

I drive about 1 hour to the water, and mostly going 70 mph.

I check the air pressure (50 psi) regularly, and keep the boat in a covered garage with concrete pad.

Needless to say, tired of changing flats.

Thinking of making the switch to a 15 or 16 inch wheel and purchasing Load E Maxxis.

Is there a way to know if that tire would fit in the fender well before I order? I think the Maxxis is 225 75 15
Skeeter 24, Yam 300, 8 ft Powerpole

Replies

• R DaysR Days Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Cant help with your question but that's been about my luck with the marathons. I check the air pressure before each trip.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Why not grab an old tire from the store and bring it home to check it. I'm sure most local tire stores would help you out to get your business. Fenders are a pretty easy adjustment, i'd be more concerned with axle spacing. Might be a good idea to pick up two old tires. lol.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,683 Captain
    First is your trailer a single or double axle? Next the tire diameters are 2 1/2" larger.
  • BailiwickBailiwick Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Double. And torsion arms not leaf springs. EZ Loader trailer that is made for Skeeter.

Most of the tires that shredded were 3 years old based on the DOT stamp.

The trailer seems very well balanced and the tires show ZERO signs of tread wear whatsoever. I even have a torque wrench and make sure the lug nuts are tight before most trips (had one wheel with lugs that backed off a bit over time once on this boat).

But I started thinking about the miles on those tires and may have solved the puzzle:

I've put 3,000 miles PER YEAR on them, and owned the boat 2 years. Just remembered that the previous owner pulled that boat to TX and back so that would be another 1500+ miles. So I would guess those tires have 7500 highway miles in 3 years.

I'm certainly tired of being nervous on the interstate at 0530.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    It's hard to tell from that photo. But next time you hitch up the trailer to your truck on level ground. Put an I-beam on the top of the trailers Ibeam. You may have to raise or lower the height of the ball in order to get the trailer level. If the trailer is not level one of the two axles is carring more weight that the other. Which will heat up the tires. That may be the cause of the blow out. Aside from the fact that those Good Year Marathonradial tires are not as good as they once were. Good Luck.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,526 Captain
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Matt JornMatt Jorn Posts: 234 Deckhand
    your problem is once the glue that holds the tire together gets over a few years old they let go and separate. Check the manufactured date before buying the new ones. A lot of times the tires are a couple of years old before you buy them. Then keep them covered to help with the glue aging in the Florida heat.
    Pura vida!

Matt Jorn
    blog.FishingNosara.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,774 Captain
    Its the tires you are using. I will NEVER own marathons again. They are JUNK!!! Alot of trailer manufactures have stopped using goodyears for this very reason!
    Jason :USA
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,139 Captain
    1outlaw wrote: »
    Its the tires you are using. I will NEVER own marathons again. They are JUNK!!! Alot of trailer manufactures have stopped using goodyears for this very reason!

:Agree
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    I don't know anyone else locally that has experienced more flats. This is crazy. One tire actually blew, then formed a tail that bent my fender in, and then took out my brake lines...that was expensive. And good thing I had a mallet in the truck or I would have never opened up enough room for the spare.

I just bought a set of Maxxis tires.

I'll never run Goodyear again. I can't even imagine how nervous I would be pulling this boat 1500 miles for a man journey with Goodyears. Although in fairness to the product, all of my defects have occurred with tires from 2012-2013.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,774 Captain
    And just to add to my statement.....I have been a automotive tech for over 20 years. We are independent shop and tire dealer...We will not sell or install goodyear marathons.
    Jason :USA
  • LobsterMonsterLobsterMonster Posts: 5 Deckhand
    Its simple...your going too fast, keep it at 65mph. On my way home from the Keys every year I always pass the guys who blow by me, they're on the side of the road changing tires.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Having towed RV's and boat trailers easily over 100,000 miles combined, I run Maxxis ST's and aluminum rims. There is another school that runs LT tires. I stick with ST's for their ability to better distort in rough back-up conditions.

High speed balance each tire and rim.

Tire pressure at maximum rated pressure with rims rated for at least that pressure a must. 65mph maximum.

Temperature measurement of tires and hubs a must. Knowledge of information gained helps to head off problems.

Cover tires whenever possible.

Make sure your spare(s) are of same quality as running tires and rims.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 810 Officer
    I've had issues with Marathons and no lager run them but though mentioned, it needs to be asked. What speeds are you running? Trailer tires degrade substantially over 65 mph.
    My trip to the water is 65 miles. About 40 of it is interstate and I run 65-70.

Thanks for all the comments and help. Putting my Maxxis tires on today.
  • reyreyreyrey Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Only tires I had blow out were Goodyear Marathons, two in a matter of a few months. This happened a few years back and I refuse to purchase another Goodyear product.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 861 Officer
    All trailer tires are subject to have problems for the simple reason that hey in most cases seat most of the time, that weakens the walls and create structural cracks, I put a set of made in china tires on my trailer over 4 years ago and they are still going, but I use my trailer/boat at list 3 times a month and that is the difference
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Switch to light Truck or Passenger car tires. Kuhmo has a tire that is 14" and rated for over 2,000 lbs. per tire. Passenger vehicle tires are built to a much higher standard that ST or trailer tires.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 572 Officer
    eTrailer.com has D-rated tires in your size. I replaced my C-load rated tires with them and see much less sidewall flex which gives me a little more piece of mind; that and the 400lb increase in load rating per tire.