Home Conservation Forums

Out of state boat trailer w/ no tags

We are coming from S.C. going to Cudjo Keys 9-22 -16 , we don't register our boat trailers . So we will not have trailer tags . Will this be a problem , if so what can we do to accommodate Florida state laws .
Thanks

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,220 Officer
    Tag not required in Florida if it is not required in your home state. The S.C. boat registration and car tag should be adequate representation to law enforcement.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    What snook affinity said though be prepared to be stopped and checked as it is a valid reason to stop a vehicle/trailer in florida
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    I have been towing boats down to the Keys from SC for more than 10 years. Never had a problem with no tag. Tie down straps are another story.
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,145 Captain
    If you travel on the turnpike do you have a toll transponder? If the trailer & boat > 3K lbs, working brakes on all axles are required.
  • R DaysR Days Posts: 95 Deckhand
    We get stopped every year on vacation in florida. In missouri a truck tag over 18k pounds is one tag only and is displayed on front of truck. We get stopped for no rear tag. Officers have always been professional and once I explained it to them they let us go after telling us it is a stupid law. I agree and we part ways. I'd make sure to print off your state DOR regarding not having to have a trailer tag.