Skip to main content
Home Boating

Contender 31 Tank Issues

26reg26reg Posts: 1 Greenhorn
I'm contemplating purchasing an '01 31 FA. Anyone have any comments to the fuel tanks in these? I've heard 2001 and older 31's are subject to premature tank failure and it's an expensive repair when they do fail. Anything I need to be particularly aware of? Thanks for any input.

Replies

• squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 537 Officer
    I've replaced fuel systems on a few contenders.25's and 31's - no way to inspect those tanks without removing !

every contender I replaced,they had the 3 tank set up - main and "wing" tanks

smart play - older boat like that,i would "bite the bullet" and replace.contrary to popular belief,fuel tanks will NOT last a life time.10/12yrs is about it,especially for foamed in,unprotected tanks - "unprotected" being,not epoxy coated. aluminum tanks should be cleaned,scuff sanded,and chemically etch primed,then epoxy coated,to the proper thickness,NO FOAM !! tanks should be "chocked" and secured in that manner
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    +1 with squidvicious! Get a tank with tabs welded to the sides so that it can be bolted to the stringers. Get it coated with Coal Tar epoxy and do not foam around it. The foam keeps water in contact with the tank and the water is the source of the corrosion. The tank should rest on a bed of plastic strips designed for the purpose. Go to this site for details http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,646 AG
    squid is spot on, the prep work is paramount.
    Even if you don't have the tanks painted your tank builder needs to remove the scale off the aluminum inside and out of the tank.