Sonar question for Mako Skiff Owners

charlesnailscharlesnails Posts: 4 Greenhorn
I have a 17ft Mako skiff and had a Helix 5 sonar installed. The transducer was installed on the left side of the motor. I cannot get a solid bottom reading when on plane. Works fine at slower speeds. I have heard that I should have mounted the transducer on the right side of the motor and that would have the transducer out of the wash created by the prop? However, Bass Pro Shop didn't think that would make a difference, and that it was more the tri-hull of the skiff. Anyone had any experience similar to mine with some ideas that might help? thanks

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    It should be adjustable , move it down some and take a test run.
    Trick here is one adjustment at a time.
    Then change the angle. and another run ....

Do you have any pick ups in front of it?
    :BUNNY gestapo

• charlesnailscharlesnails Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks , I will take a look at it. I don't have any pick ups in front. I just lose the bottom at about 1/2 speed or more....just static and maybe a thin outline of where I think the bottom might be. Thanks for your help
  • rich7841rich7841 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I have a Mako 17 Skiff with my transducer mounted on the right side. I have the Hook4 and get fine readings on the sonar for the bottom at all but top speed. I have it mounted so hangs down a little bit, maybe 1/2 inch, below the hull almost exactly like in the image attached.