Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

To many of these are dying after being dragged ashore, can anything be done?

biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
Hello, far to often these large sharks are dying after being dragged ashore. Knowing that is illegal to kill them and they must be realesed immediately, can anything be done legally tomprevent more of them from dying? Thanks.
this is ILLEGAL! "If a fish is brought out of the water, it is “landed”. If anglers stop the act of releasing a fish to measure it or take a photo, it is not “immediately released.” If a fish isn’t “immediately returned alive and unharmed” (and if the extremely physiologically stressful act of bringing a hammerhead out of the water results in it dying after release, it was not released “unharmed,”) it is harvested. If you drag the shark out of the water and leave it there until it stops moving long enough that you feel safe to approach it, that is not an “immediately released” animal, and it isn’t an animal that is “released unharmed.” Landing and/or harvesting hammerhead sharks is illegal. This is clear under the law, and has been confirmed by numerous consultations with an FWC Law Enforcement official." - via Southern Fried Science

Replies

• pbsnookerpbsnooker Posts: 882 Officer
    Just curious, how many are dying from "landings" such as you have pictured on an annual basis? 100-200? Or is it much less, say 5-10?
    Where are you getting your #s from? All the shark fisherman I know of are very consciences when it comes to reviving/releasing there catch. I personally don't know of any sharks not being able to be revives. Did hear about one possible death do to landing on the west coast.
    I believe the laws in place are adequate enough.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,905 AG
    Hell of a storm. Looks like the may get wet.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,284 AG
    biminibrad wrote: »
    Hello, far to often these large sharks are dying after being dragged ashore. Knowing that is illegal to kill them and they must be realesed immediately, can anything be done legally tomprevent more of them from dying? Thanks.
    this is ILLEGAL! "If a fish is brought out of the water, it is “landed”. If anglers stop the act of releasing a fish to measure it or take a photo, it is not “immediately released.” If a fish isn’t “immediately returned alive and unharmed” (and if the extremely physiologically stressful act of bringing a hammerhead out of the water results in it dying after release, it was not released “unharmed,”) it is harvested. If you drag the shark out of the water and leave it there until it stops moving long enough that you feel safe to approach it, that is not an “immediately released” animal, and it isn’t an animal that is “released unharmed.” Landing and/or harvesting hammerhead sharks is illegal. This is clear under the law, and has been confirmed by numerous consultations with an FWC Law Enforcement official." - via Southern Fried Science

They only die if you cut their fins off first. Have a drink and relax.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,680 Captain
    Rhabdomyolysis can kill a shark. fish and even people.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000473.htm
    Giimoozaabi
  • While I am a conservation nut, as long as Hammerhead sharks are legal in Federal waters, they must not be in as bad of shape as we think. I'll bet Mark the Shark kills more in a year than die by the ridiculous handling we see in that pic!
  • flattieflattie Posts: 275 Deckhand
    I think they should stop taging them. And quit feeding thim seal decoys.
  • flattieflattie Posts: 275 Deckhand
    They've just been protected over the past few years
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Stud fish caught from the beach. I'd of gotten my pic too!
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • Heck Ya..Dang Big Un.
    It's a Bud Lite Night...:USA
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Heck Ya..Dang Big Un.
    It's a Bud Lite Night...:USA
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • voltmanvoltman Posts: 152 Deckhand
    that will not hurt them.