Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Now amberjack closed - fish tags soon to follow

1235»

Replies

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    Oh and if you want to fix the whole fishery. Just make the GPS less accurate. Say accurate to a couple hundred feet, instead of 5 feet. With todays boats, fishermen, tackle, and technology the fish don't have a chance. 20 years ago only Charter Operators were this good, these days if you have the money to buy the equipment every one is a pro, its a no brainer.

This sounds like good talking points to validate the need for "limited access fisheries"...............only problem is, that it is blatantly false.

Today, just as was 20 years ago (and I expect will be 20 years from now), be it commercial or recreational..........

10 percent of the fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish.

Anyone with even the slightest powers of observation and deductive reasoning can see that for themselves. All one has to do is observe the weigh in results of a couple fishing tournaments and compare total number of boats fishing with the number that hang fish on the scale.

Even today's high tech equipment does not make everyone a fish slayer.

Most people realize that and it is why they think NMFS's way of sampling a handful of anglers and extrapolating landings data is a joke at best or con at worst.

But those who would give away our public resources for private profit, continue to expect John Q. Public to drink such Kool-Aid.:wink
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    No, I didn't hit the wrong button the time your IP address was revealed - that was a mistake that was addressed and we have moved on. You need to get over it.

Offer catch shares to the western states? No, you are again confused notreely. States have managed their own resources for decades using bag limits and seasons - they work fine, and are certainly not catch shares.

Asking for local management of a fish that swims off of Galveston Texas is taking fish away from Florida fishermen? That is not only laughable, it's ridiculous, but then again we have come to expect the laughable and ridiculousness from the EDF crowd.

I know, it's nefarious to ask that the fishery be managed locally for the best interests of the fish and the fishermen living there. It makes no scientific sense whatsoever to manage the Gulf fisheries as one unit - what happens off of Florida should have no bearing on what happens off of Texas, and vice versa. Each area has it's unique ecosystem, biomass, and effort - Florida fishermen should be able to fish the maximum amount based on what the Florida ecosystem can sustain over time. Texas fishermen should not be underfishing their fish because the Feds'/Democrats don't like Texas.

The great people of Alabama have been prohibited from accessing their great artificial reefing system for 98% of the year, while the commercial boys have 365 day access to those same reefs. I think Alabama/Florida panhandle anglers should have equal access to the reefs that THEY deployed - not taking away access for the benefit of a few commercial operations.

Texas Tom it looks like the Graves bill took another hit this week. The FWC commission publicly denounced any support for the bill if the commercial fishery is involved. They are crafting a letter to Congressman Graves to inform him of their decision and I heard from a little birdie that letter will be against the for hire industry being involved also. Now that 2 of the 5 states have withdrawn support for the Bill, I wonder what loser you'll back next. Maybe you can come up with a plan that doesn't try to take fish from Florida private recreational fisherman and reallocate them to Texas.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,595 Captain
    Notreely
    Met your Dad in Orange Beach at the BMGC - nice guy.
    Maybe the answer is for Texas to secede and become its own nation again, eh?
    The system is obviously broken, beyond hope of repair at this point.
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    Notreely
    Met your Dad in Orange Beach at the BMGC - nice guy.
    Maybe the answer is for Texas to secede and become its own nation again, eh?
    The system is obviously broken, beyond hope of repair at this point.

Wow, met my dad ! You should call the national enquirer because he's been dead for 11 years. But he was a really great guy!

Secession Is about as rational as the rest of your ideas. Maybe Texas can be part of Mexico again.
  • As promised.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now