Home General Freshwater Fishing

Northern Pike 8/18/16

I occasionally get to Wisconsin and last week I caught this bad girl. I was fishing the Fox River in Waukesha, Wis. I found this spot 7 or 8 years ago. It's a park right in the middle of town. Slow moving and pretty shallow too. Lots of weeds in the spot where I catch the fish. Zoom Toad with a light wire leader did the trick. I caught a dozen or so fish, bass and pike and one blue gill. The fish were very aggressive with some great topwater bites.

Replies

• bigh20bigh20 Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Nice catch! Those pike are a hoot to catch!! I purchased my first boat after getting out of the Army (a 16 ft Sylvan) and tooled all over Minnesota catching those things for a few years before heading south. A lot of fun and great to eat after you clean out the y bone. Congrats!!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,220 Moderator
    Nice one. They live in the Yampa river in Craig , Co. Not native and eat the trout so they do not care for them.
    I didn't get to catch one when I visited but would have been cool to mark it off the list.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    We used to go to lake Champlain very year for a week or so , we caught some studs trollin big spoons an bucktails!!
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    Thanks guys it's a fun place to fish. The world record was caught in Germany 30 years ago and weighed 55 pounds. That fish must have been a slob.
  • bigh20bigh20 Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Can't imagine catching a pike that big!!! Biggest I got was a 36 1/2incher in a medium sized lake outside of St. Cloud. Since then, a friend of mine who still lives there has caught a few pushing 40inches!! Amazing!!!
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,149 AG
    bigh20 wrote: »
    Nice catch! Those pike are a hoot to catch!! I purchased my first boat after getting out of the Army (a 16 ft Sylvan) and tooled all over Minnesota catching those things for a few years before heading south. A lot of fun and great to eat after you clean out the y bone. Congrats!!

They are highly underrated table fair. My brother gave me a mixed bag of fillets. The pike was incredible. Firm, big, white flakes with a mild flavor.

On my brothers lake in central MN, every year around labor day big pike would move into this river inlet. We caught over 100lbs one morning. Pretty much every fish was 40"+. Then everyone else figured it out and I am sure they were keeping them.

I miss soaking big suckers for them under a bobber on a pontoon and drinking beer.

Captain Todd Approves