Home Fly Fishing

Broken tip opions needed

saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
I broke the tip section about two inches down from the tip top and sent the rod in to have a new tip section made.
Prior to sending it in I called and stated my desires to have the broken section returned with the new one. Since it was a NON warranty repair I was told to write it on the repair form and it would be returned.

Here's the short of it.

I got the rod back but not with the old tip section. They admitted their mistake then started making excuses like "a shorter tip DRAMATICALLY increases the stress on the next section leading to further breakage" thus why they trashed it.

I stated that would be my problem and the tip was my property and they had no right to trash it.

Here's the next reply back from the sales manager,
"(standard company policy -- loose shards of graphite are quite dangerous and we destroy them after measuring the fittings)". Quite dangerous? A very blatant insult to my intelligence, me thinks. I replied back "I spent four years in the Army in combat arms and a broken rod section would on the bottom of the list of things I would consider dangerous to me".

No reply back.

They gave me a cap the t-shirt, kind of like giving a kid a candy bar and saying "Now go away"

What's your opinion of this customer service and their statements about a broken tip. I think they owe me a tip section.

Thanks

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 283 Deckhand
    SB non warranty as in you paid full retail for new tip section. Then small claims court hassle...but if there is some fine print somewhere that says in part send broken section in and it won't be returned...then it's pat on the head GOOD DOG.. They should have said we're sorry didn't. see your note to return...we always do destructive testing on fractures to ascertain ......etc. BTW. How old the rod ? Did they have to make new tip or just send from stock or warranty inventory. Would have been nice back up tip with just a new TipTop just two inches down ....I have an old TCR 10 down 1. Inch from tip
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
    Well you see that's it, they admitted their mistake. To me customer service is paramount to doing business.

Ok just to make it more clear the company is Thomas & Thomas (under new ownership, you would think, let's bend over backwards to make this right ). I talked to two different people prior to sending it in and got lame excuses, insults to my intelligence "graphite shards are extremely dangerous". The rod is in excellent condition with serial numbers just for replacing parts and I should have been told "don't send the tip, it's not needed for the new one". Bottom line, they screwed up!

The new tip cost me $150 and probably cost them a quarter of that. Even to make another tip to cover their screw up they still would have made a profit and kept a customer but chose to lose one and hopefully others will read this and choose to spend their money elsewhere and cost them way more in the long run.

I've been a business owner for 28 years and screwed up more than once and bit the bullet to make it right. Now the bulk of my customers are by word of mouth referrals or returns. The little money I lost initially has been more than made up for in the long run.

I guess T&T doesn't think that way.

And as you said trapon41, having a back up ( even 2" shorter ) sure would be nice, especially when on a trip.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Salty,

I realize it's after the fact now.

What I would have done was just install a new tip top on the old broken piece, and screw sending the section back to the company. I did this once before with a Loomis rod and the rod with the shorted tip out cast the old rod before I broke the tip....I was actually happier, and considered breaking the tips off a couple other rods.....

I would demand that they send my property back, or send them an invoice for the same amount they charged you. You can always call your credit card company and cry fraud....my 2 cents

Car
    Thanks Carl. Exactly why I wanted to have tip returned was for fishing windier days or around mangroves and docks.
    I now know better to NOT send the tip in no matter what someone says. Did consider calling Visa though.
    Called Scott and they said they would return my tip but also said it probably wouldn't be necessary to send it in with he rod. Couldn't get through on Sages line.
    I was hoping the staff would step up to the plate and do the right thing w/o contacting the new owner and CEO. But I did and he called me back, not only apologizing for the way this was handled but also thanked me bringing it to his attention as was going to make it right, very right when he got back to the office Monday. Apparently he wants his customers happy and satisfied with T&T.

Thanks Neville, I wish you success with the new take over.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Bob, for future reference they do not need your broken section to fit a new one.
    Mr Dirt,

The Korean rods only cost $25-35 dollars shipped here to the USA, they usually don't want the broken piece back for the parts, However the USA made rods coast approximately $125-$150 range, so sure they want the broken rod back for the guides and tip top. This is what I had been told by friends who work at the largest USA rod Manufacturing company. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
    Mr Dirt,

The Korean rods only cost $25-35 dollars shipped here to the USA, they usually don't want the broken piece back for the parts, However the USA made rods coast approximately $125-$150 range, so sure they want the broken rod back for the guides and tip top. This is what I had been told by friends who work at the largest USA rod Manufacturing company. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

That just isn't true. Nobody uses old hardware on new sections, not even the korean/Chinese. A premium nickel titanium snake retails for about 3$, manufacturers buy them for a fraction of that price, and nickel or stainless snakes are even cheaper than that (less than a buck).
    Thanks yall for all the input and yes, I will never again send in a tip that would still be usable for this very reason and hope that this helps others who may be faced with this in the future.

But ultimately this problem lied with the hired help which will be getting an education next week on proper T&T customer service etiquette the way the new CEO expects it to be.

Also the turn around time for new tip was just over two weeks.
  • tunatakertunataker Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    saltybum wrote: »
    Also the turn around time for new tip was just over two weeks.

Two weeks is not that bad. Scott Fly Rods took longer to replace a broken tip section covered under warranty. Loomis was the best at turnaround and they even replaced the entire rod not just the broken section.
    Mr Dirt,

believe what you want :)
    Mr Dirt,

believe what you want :)

Think about it Carl. It costs more to pay someone to clean the guides off an old blank than it does to replace them. In 8 years of handling every warranty claim in the county, I've never seen a fresh section of rod with bent, pitted, or rusty snakes. I can call Jerry Seim in the morning if it'll make you feel better, but I know what he's going to say.
    Bill,

Relax-smile, it really doesn't make any difference to me what "Jerry says", I had a friend who worked there for years tell me that. I don't know why he would lie? again who cares really?

Carl Blackledge
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I guess if I wanted the old tip I would not have sent it in, I would have said I lost the tip and I need a replacement, I doubt you would be the first person to have actually lost a tip looking for a replacement.

If I did send the tip in with explicit instructions to return the broken one knowing how the fly rod repair process goes I think I would be do it with the understanding there would still be a very good chance I am not getting it back.