SUP fishing

I don't see many posts from people who SUP fish. I did an 'advanced search' but not a whole lot came up. Seems to me it's getting more popular yet I don't see a lot of people SUP fishing locally? I only recently started doing it but I absolutely love it. It'd be cool to see more posts from people who share the same passion.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    Our other moderator PalmbeachPete is big into Paddleboard fishing. I recommend searching for his posts and his YouTube videos. I tell ya, his videos make me want to go and buy a SUP... Except for the fact that I'm broke haha.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Just picked one up from Jon @ Nautical Ventures for the sole purpose of catching sailfish. Should be interesting.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • krashkrash Posts: 656 Officer
    I SUP fish, inshore and some fresh water, but seldom post photos any more....

Had a borrowed DragonFly 13.6 like Pete's and loved it except the weight... sat back and said what do I really need the Mercede's or will a Kia do, found a beater project Kia bought it and it serves the purpose and is easily 15# lighter than the DF... -- Fish the Future

Ideally when I hit the lottery I'll have DragonFly build me a carbon fiber lighter version of the DF 13.6, til them I'm financially challenged.

Which SUP did you pick up ?, NV has some nice stuff.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • goneCoastalgoneCoastal Posts: 34 Deckhand
    I just bought a Bote Rackham. Hasn't even touched the water yet! Previously I used a Bote HD.
    I just bought a Bote Rackham. Hasn't even touched the water yet! Previously I used a Bote HD.

Nice choice.... check into Fish The Future, I have loads of info on there.
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Had been looking at the Rackham Bugslinger - awesome graphics.
    NV had an Ahab that was damaged in shipping. Jon repaired it, and the price was definitely right.
    I love my PA14, but really want to catch Sailfish off the SUP.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • goneCoastalgoneCoastal Posts: 34 Deckhand
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Our other moderator PalmbeachPete is big into Paddleboard fishing. I recommend searching for his posts and his YouTube videos.

Good call! Thanks!
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I have been out of the country for a few weeks and need to get back on the water. Love fishing of the SUP. i will be posting when I do.
  • silentquestsilentquest Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Fished several years on various Hobie kayaks and they are great! A couple of years ago I switched to SUP fishing though. Started with a DF 13.6 and it was great but sold it because of weight and length and went back to Hobie (which is heavier and almost as long. haha) Then I sold the Outback and went to the Bote HD which I still have. Will be putting it up for sale though as I have ordered another DF 13.6. The Bote is very lightweight and easy to fish from. I have the Bugslinger edition. The only drawback for me of the Bote is I couldn't customize it to my needs and I don't feel the materials it's made from are as durable as the DF. It is much lighter though so if that's important to you then Bote it is. When I bought the Bote I had an SUV and needed to lift the PB to the roof so weight was more important to me than now that I have a pickup.
    HIGHLY recommend PBP's videos and posts. Knows what he's talking about and a great guy.
    I wanted to go back to the simplicity and ease fishing which is the reason I started kayaks in the first place. The Hobies are awesome but they are heavy and I just found I wasn't going as often. Everyone will decide what's best and most fun for them.
    You's right, the DF is a great platform.. its built like a boat, 2 part mold with a foam ribbed inner structure, gel-coat over vinal-esther resin... which is why its heavy. No conparison in tuffness to the standard epoxy over eps foam boards, but thats what you give up to get lightness.

I like the looks of the Botes, and if I came across a project HD that could be my next one.

The DF is a little easier to rig stuff, more like a boat, but you still don;t have much access to the inside of the hull to back anything up unless you install an access hatch, and if you don;t know the layout of the ribbed structure its still not that easy. You can however drill and screw into the gel/resin as if it were the deck or console of a boat.

The epoxy over eps-foam is much more delicate when hitting rocks or oysters, hard boat ramp surfaces and much to thin to drill and screw into,and you get no access to the interior side to use backing plates. There are many glue on options, mots boards have a few leash-plug tie down points, and if you are handy and familair with working with fiberglass, especially epoxy, you can do some modifications.
    So far I've been able to get by with glue on tie-downs... but I mainly only tie down my cooler/drybox and have a couple simple bungies for paddle and/or push-pole.