Home Politics

Is Gary Johnson poaching votes from Hillary?

ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,839 Captain
Yeah, that's it, the libertarian is pulling votes from corrupt statist Hillary Clinton.
:Spittingcoffee
Johnson's campaign has started buying TV add time, positioning him as the alternative candidate. I believe that a likely Johnson voter is someone looking for a way to vote against Hillary without voting for Trump. I get it. But the reality is that pulling a vote away from Trump will only serve to get Hillary elected, and Johnson is polling high enough to easily represent the margin of victory, for Hillary.
If you think Obama has subverted the rule of law and pushed the boundaries of executive power as far as they can go just wait to see what Hillary will do as president. The woman has so little respect for the law and the Constitution, and such a huge appetite for power, that we could easily descend into "banana republic" status under her "leadership."
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson-5949.html

Replies

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,201 Captain
    A vote for someone is a vote for that person. I will not vote for Hillary or her former supporter, trump. The 2 party system must end.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    A vote for someone is a vote for that person. I will not vote for Hillary or her former supporter, trump. The 2 party system must end.

That may be but Johnson isn't impressive at all. He's nothing but a protest vote. I can only think of two people who have run 3rd party EVER that had a clue, that was Ron Paul and Ross Perot. Johnson is as much an empty suit as Obama.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    That may be but Johnson isn't impressive at all. He's nothing but a protest vote. I can only think of two people who have run 3rd party EVER that had a clue, that was Ron Paul and Ross Perot. Johnson is as much an empty suit as Obama.
    He is not who I wanted on the LP ticket, but i still like him better than clintrump. He is by far the most fiscally conservative choice. And his and his VP have the history of cutting taxes and state government bs.
    Many people I know are done with the 2 corrupt parties, so the LP is not a protest vote. It's illogical to say otherwise for others.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    And he's poaching votes from Trump.

So what's your point?
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,417 Captain
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    And he's poaching votes from Trump.

So what's your point?

The question to me would be who is he poaching the most votes from? I would wager Trump based on the large number of Republicans disillusioned with him. I cannot see many Sanders followers going with Johnson as he offers less than Hillary does as far as like mindedness goes.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,929 AG
    He's nothing but a protest vote.
    So is trump.

Captain Todd Approves

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    In earlier polling where they were doing only Hillary vs Trump and then adding in Johnson, Johnson pulled equally from both candidates.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Johnson is as much an empty suit as Obama.

Based on what? He has far more experience as a political leader than Hillary, Trump, Stein, or even Obama. He was a successful govenor. Trump is a protest vote against Hillary, Hillary is a protest vote against Trump.... those who vote for Johnson are voting FOR something... not against something.
  • ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,839 Captain
    Carbon tax and gun control don't seem like libertarian stands. Beware statists in libertarian clothing.
    As much as their advertising focuses on the corruption of establishment politicians, it's not Hillary who'll lose votes to Johnson, and he may well be the difference to her winning or losing. Bottom line: a vote for Johnson/Weld only helps Hillary become president.
    Throttle wrote: »
    Carbon tax and gun control don't seem like libertarian stands. Beware statists in libertarian clothing.
    As much as their advertising focuses on the corruption of establishment politicians, it's not Hillary who'll lose votes to Johnson, and he may well be the difference to her winning or losing. Bottom line: a vote for Johnson/Weld only helps Hillary become president.

Gary has said he does not want any changes to the 2nd amendment. He was asked at last town hall on cnn. Again, he is not my first choice, but far better than the other 2. And, you are wrong about him helping Hillary; many polls show that he draws more from the dens than the ****.

Bottom line: my vote does not belong to either party. Whomever you vote for, is who you vote for. And stop with the spoiler warnings; Perot votes where blamed for bush 1 losing; however later polls showed that Perot drew votes equally from both parties.

It's only the fault of the gop & the dems for nominating horrible people.