Home Egret Boats

Islamorada

cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
My wife wants to take me there for my 40th birthday. Where is the nicest place to stay and the best guide to take me and her fishing for like reds and snook and permit with conventional reels not fly?

Replies

• Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    The Carribean Resort, Capt. Al Polofsky 305-587-1744
    By the way, Happy Birthday
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    I have stayed here. Good couples place and won't destroy your wallet.
    http://www.coralbayresort.com/

Also Pines & Palms.

Fishing--I've done the run from Islamorada to Flamingo--Florida bay. Which is beautiful.
    Great seeing the birds wake up on the flats. Your wife will love it.
    Guide Brian Gwilliam lives in Islamorada and makes the run every day.
    He uses Live pin fish and targets big snook and reds.
    Give him a call. 786-797-6796.
    PM me for more details if you like.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • LMKLMK Posts: 596 Officer
    Man that Coral Bay is very cool, thank you for posting that.
    Hope your trip and your birthday is great.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    My wife and I got engaged down at Coral Bay. Actually out at Channel 2 tarpon fishing and watching the sunset but we stayed at Coral Bay. Best value in Islamorada. For upscale my wife does love Checca Lodge for the days I leave her behind to fish for the day. I strongly second the recommendation for Brian Gwilliam. He is a great back country fisherman, especially for guys that want to fish spin. Great personality too which goes a long ways to making the day fun.

As for the fishery itself, please keep in mind that Florida Bay basically died last year from major salinity issues. The fishing has been terrible in the bay itself this summer. Brian doesn't mind making the long run across the bay and around to the remote gulf coast of the glades, which is a really sweet area to fish. Just remember he is burning a ton of gas and let him know you will tip him accordingly and he will gladly make that run. I did hear that the bone fishing right around Islamorada is finally making a comeback so there are some options close by too. Permit will be arouund close to town as well but they are always hit or miss in the upper keys. But that long run arouund to the gulf coast is awesome, that's what I would shoot for. Amazing scenery and the fishing can be fantastic as long as there isn't a west wind.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?185053-Best-place-to-stay-in-Keys

Haven't heard back from Cairo Trout.

If the Moorings doesn't work...........move south to Little Palm Island ???
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    It's in October. Still undecided. Thanks for the recommendations
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    cairotrout wrote: »
    It's in October. Still undecided. Thanks for the recommendations

Well if it's anytime close to Fantasy Fest you may decide to go to Key West and see things you wish you hadn't.