Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

We are debating

etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
Shoot or let them grow one more year.... they are either 3.5 or 4.5, we know there are a few other deer that are bigger but these two are interesting because we see them during season where the rest are hit and miss.

Replies

• etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    FYI not in FT Myers, in Live Oak
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
  • WhitetailWhitetail Posts: 154 Deckhand
    That's a tough call. I'd say 3.5 yo studs. If you let them walk this year, will a neighbor shoot them? Most likely. But if you let them walk and they make it through the year, they'll be monsters for sure! Like I said, tough call. Not sure what I'd do... but it's a good problem to have!
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I'd say the one in the back is a 4 year old for sure. I'd let em have it if it were me. I hunt just south of you in Mayo and those are studs for that area
  • TlpTlp Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    I would shoot with bow for sure rifle I would pass if there were bigger buck in area
    Whitetail wrote: »
    That's a tough call. I'd say 3.5 yo studs. If you let them walk this year, will a neighbor shoot them? Most likely. But if you let them walk and they make it through the year, they'll be monsters for sure! Like I said, tough call. Not sure what I'd do... but it's a good problem to have!

We are actually fairly confident a neighbor would not shoot them. We only have one, on about 50 acres, we have close to 1000 and they are on the other side, they may go into the state forest but there is no hunting there. It really is a tough choice, it may come down to what else we have running around come September.
    AllenR wrote: »
    I'd say the one in the back is a 4 year old for sure. I'd let em have it if it were me. I hunt just south of you in Mayo and those are studs for that area

I know thats the crazy part we have several all around the same size, which makes it hard on the aging since they look a like, some are 3, some 4, some 5, and on or two may be older.
  • 33vector33vector Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    if your debating, Let them grow.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,406 AG
    If you don't, i hope they are there next year for you. I'd take one if it was me.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 876 Officer
    33vector wrote: »
    if your debating, Let them grow.

Yep! If it dont immediately make you reach for the safety....let him walk. I think they are 3yr olds with great genetics too.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,647 Captain
    Since your next to a protected Forest I would let em walk.

But give any first timers the green light. Definitely would make someone on hellava 1st buck
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    I have property I can hunt between Mayo and Live Oak off 51 very close to the bridge. We've taken three bucks off that property. Mine was old and heavy with a live weight of 211lbs, but none of them had racks like that? I'd take the better one and see if the other makes it next year? Great bucks for that area...Good luck!
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    etommy28 wrote: »
    Shoot or let them grow one more year.... they are either 3.5 or 4.5, we know there are a few other deer that are bigger but these two are interesting because we see them during season where the rest are hit and miss.

The back deer is over 5, the front one is a 4 year old. Both have bad knees and well developed chests but the back one has more muscle structure and definition. It will become very obvious in the fall as they pack on weight for the rut and their necks swell. The back deer would be #1 on my hit list. And if you want to put more mass and length on all your deer, you need to get on an aggressive protein feeding plan. It will help to have much more growth and health with your herd in the future.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    huntmstr wrote: »
    The back deer is over 5, the front one is a 4 year old. Both have bad knees and well developed chests but the back one has more muscle structure and definition. It will become very obvious in the fall as they pack on weight for the rut and their necks swell. The back deer would be #1 on my hit list. And if you want to put more mass and length on all your deer, you need to get on an aggressive protein feeding plan. It will help to have much more growth and health with your herd in the future.

I agree with chuck
  • mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 344 Deckhand
    They are at the age when they start to wander. Let them walk and you may never see them again.
    You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...
  • GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 228 Deckhand
    You can equate shooting deer to chasing women. I have no regret of the women I've caught or deer I've shot. I only regret the ones that I passed on.
  • dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 876 Officer
    Geetch wrote: »
    You can equate shooting deer to chasing women. I have no regret of the women I've caught or deer I've shot. I only regret the ones that I passed on.

I like that analogy.
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 321 Deckhand
    I'm with 33vector. You are obviously not a meat hunter. If you are debating , let them walk one more year. If they make it , next season will be a no brainer. Nice to see hunters like you. Take a doe for meat and let those monsters breed.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Take or leave is your decision, naturally. Personally I wouldn't bust either, but simply because I'll never drag another animal out of the woods.....too old and too darn sorry to do so now! But we all see things in a different light, and here's what I think I see......

These are very good racks and are probably a pretty good indication of soil fertility in the area where these bucks range. (Genetics, naturally, is also a player.) There are isolated pockets of better soils scattered all through north Florida that will produce racks like these. Northern Jefferson County slopping over into Madison, County is a good example. You are probably also in a good soils pocket.

Larger racks, those with more mass--not necessarily more points--are directly tied to the amount of P2O5 in the soil. You might think about fertilizing the food plots with an elevated rate of this element up to about 17% of the standard N-P-K rating of fertilizers. If you can find a fertilizer dealer in the area and get them to custom blend your fertilizer mix, it's suggested to get a total blend of 17-17-17 because this will give you all that is needed for a Whitetail's nutrient needs. In addition, you might think about this:

IF....you have scrub hardwoods on the tract that are not going to produce a desirable hardwood forest, you can simply cut the small scrub hardwoods off with a chainsaw and fertilize the cut-off stumps out to 4-5 feet with this same blend to the rate of about 200-300 pounds per acre. The cut-off hardwoods will re-sprout profusely and this will draw in Whitetails like crazy to browse the high nutrient sprouts. And, you can also do this to increase the rack density and pull in more deer:

Locate the better, large acorn producing hardwoods on the tract and fertilize these with this same 17-17-17 blend to this same rate of fertilizer--maybe increasing it to 400 pounds per acre--and watch how many Whitetails this pulls in when the acorns start to drop! Scatter the fertilizer out to about 1 1/2 times the length the limbs extend from the tree trunk. Deer are going to favor the White Oaks first, with the Swamp White Oaks being #1, then regular White Oaks, then the Red Oak group. You'll also probably see an increase in turkeys and even wood ducks if you fertilize choice Oaks. You'll see deer walk past unfertilized mast producing trees to get to fertilized ones. Instinctively wildlife seems to know its best food source!

One other thing: Putting these suggestions into practice is not going to produce immediate results! It is going to take a couple of years to start seeing big returns! It WILL happen, however!
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Since its North Fl, I'd say let them walk. Looking at the ears, they have room to grow.
  • austinfennellaustinfennell Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    etommy28 wrote: »

i agree with whitetail. bow season tcb it , but if there still walking by gen gun hold off and get a nice start on 2017-2018 .
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,340 Captain
    Likely other hunters may have let them walk. Propensity of area hunters a consideration.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,022 Admiral
    I hunt N FL but on public land, if I was lucky enough to see bucks like that they wouldn't get far. But, anyone that hunts where I hunt would not hesitate to pull the trigger so there you go.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers