Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Selling pompano

RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
What kind of permit do I need to sell pomps. I fish from the beach and I'm over 70. Do I need a RS? I have a couple of applications but they require a commercial boat registration etc. Run into a lot of guys with the paper work, so they say, who just fish the beach and sell to local markets. Paper work I got from the DMV doesn't specify any beach guys, just commercial boaters. Tks

Read more:


  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    SPL, RS, and Pompano Endorsement if you plan on keeping 250 or more. Size limit 11-20 inches fork length. Also remember that if fishing for sales you are considered commercial fishing then and must keep the catch separated from any and all contaminates and it must be iced down immediately.
  • RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
    Tks for the reply West, been selling fish most of my life, had my endorsements when I commercially fished in the Keys, been just rec fishing for the last 15 years, didn't realize I had to go through all that again just to fish from the beach. Just wanted to make a few bucks to pay for my gear.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    If you do it...good luck
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,848 AG
    Some more information for you.
    I understand where you are coming from but in the last few years effort to separate commercial from recreational fishermen some things
    just got lost.

    Entry level fishing for one.

    Exemptions to Income Requirements

    Persons that qualify for the exemptions are not required to show the $5000 income requirement to be issued an RS Endorsement at the time of application. However, depending on exemption type you may have to re-qualify for the RS by using the above qualification methods. If…
    You are a person age 62 or older who has qualified for a Restricted Species endorsement for 3 out of the last 5 years. You will be issued a permanent Restricted Species endorsement.
    You are a person age 62 or older and provide acceptable proof of $2,500 in sales of saltwater products to a licensed Wholesale Dealer during any 12 consecutive months in the last 36 months.*
    You are a person age 70 or older and held an SPL 3 out of the last 5 license years. You will be granted permanent exemption to the income requirements listed herein.*
    You are a disabled resident who can provide acceptable proof of disability from the Railroad Retirement Board, U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Armed Forces, Social Security Administration or a licensed physician and have held the SPL for 3 of the last 5 years prior to the date of disability.*
    Physician's StatementAdobe PDF
    You are an immediate family member of a fisherman who held the RS and has died or become disabled, you may qualify for one full license year**. Application must be submitted within three years from the date of death or disablement. Must provide a copy of the birth certificate and proof of death or disablement.
    You are purchasing a commercial fishing vessel from a seller who holds an active SPL and RS based on verified income earned from the sale of saltwater products to a license wholesale dealer, or an RS based upon a qualifying method other than the vessel purchase exemption, you will qualify for the Restricted Species endorsement for one full license year from the date of purchase of the vessel. The Restricted Species endorsement will only be attached to the vessel purchased until the vessel holder qualifies for a restricted species endorsement based on another qualifying method. The endorsement may be moved to another licensed vessel only if the vessel purchased becomes inoperable.
    Vessel and Seller Requirements:
    The qualifying vessel shall be no less than 16 feet in length.
    The buyer must be the registered owner at the time of application.
    The vessel must have been currently registered as a commercial vessel at the time of sale and by the buyer at the time of application.
    Please submit the following supporting documents with your application:**
    A copy of the signed vessel title or notarized coast guard bill of sale showing the purchase price and
    A copy of vessel registration or other current documentation showing use as Commercial/fishery vessel at the time of sale and after the transfer of title.
    You are a disabled resident military veteran who has been certified to be at least 10 percent service related disabled by the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs or its predecessor or by any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces and who submits a copy of their discharge/disability documentation.**
    Re-qualifying sales must be valid sales to a licensed wholesale dealer in any 12 consecutive months in the previous 36 month period. Qualifying disabled resident veterans will only be required to document $2,500 in qualifying landings or crew shares. **
    You are a resident veteran who has been honorably discharged from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the Reserves, the Florida National Guard or the Coast Guard who submits a copy of their discharge documentation within 48 months of discharge. This exemption is allowed one time per military enlistment. **
    Residency (resident includes resident alien)
    Resident (includes resident alien)- A person who has continuously resided in the state of Florida for a period of one year preceding the application for license.
    Resident Alien– A person who has continuously resided in the state of Florida for at least 1 year and can provide documentation of permanent residency status from the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
    Non-Resident Alien– A person who has not resided in the state of Florida for at least 1 year and can provide documentation of permanent residency status from the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

    *Applies only to an SPL issued to an individual.
    **Requires Requalification using one of the acceptable qualification methods and only applies to an SPL issued to an individual.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!


Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.


Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now