A few of my creations

Jared DJared D Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
Well, I have been reading this forum for a long time but never contributed. So here is what I make for use in NE Florida for Reds both in the grass and on the mud flats. I have made hundreds of flies of all types but these are what I had on hand this morning. I don't tend to over fuss over the flies- looking for function over form. I have probably given 100 flies away so far this year to some buddies who also fly fish.

First is a New Crab.

Then I have some bend backs. Love these in the grass.

Here are what I call sliders- I am sure they are something else (maybe a Kwan variant)

And last are some flies I **** up after a trip to Lido Key and seeing what a guide recommended for snook there.

Forgot to add in the Mudbugs - these work great in the grass as well- popper action.

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,750 Captain
    Nice looking flies. Thanks for sharing & keep the coming. Good luck with them.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Got a recipe for that top fly? Looks good for reds! I like the feathers that breathe and give action to the fly.
    .......Rick
  • Jared DJared D Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
    Hey Permit Rat,
    It is a size 2 Mustad hook. Blaze orange thread. A little orange bucktail first. Then wrapped four Ginger colored rooster saddles to make the claws. (I have been making them with smaller "claws" now and they come out better). Two for each claw.
    Next I put two wraps of pale yellow hackle just to give a transition.
    The next thing is the eyes- made from beads I melt on 20 pound mono. Beads are from Joann Fabric.
    Then I wrap on the crazy legs (pumpkin) and dumbell eyes (I use the xtra small).
    Last I wrap from the hackle to the dumbell eyes with root-beer chenille.

25 pound mono guard and then fish.

I tossed a similar one (shorter claw feathers) out this weekend on the flood tide for Reds. Looked great and it is easy to throw, very delicate entry. No tailers to feed it to though.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain
    You been holding out on us. Thanks for the recipe on that top one too.
  • JWTJWT Posts: 405 Deckhand
    great flies - look like food. i really like the new crab + the joannes fabric eyes are great.--they have good stuff for tiers :wink i like the mustache weedguard, but for a double i prefer 20 mason. just cause i have a bunch of it & it suks for leaders
  • LMKLMK Posts: 553 Officer
    Great looking stuff man