Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

7/30 Boca offshore (non) report

This is not a fun post to write, but we blew out of the Boca inlet at about 6:30am. The mission was to find some mahi, since we hadn't tried in quite some time. We ended up finding two large bamboo logs & were certain that they would be holding fish. After several passes with ballyhoo as well as pitching live pilchards, nothing but almaco jacks :banghead. We ended up 30 miles offshore in our search and trolled a small weed line with no hits. We finished off the day drifting at a few spots and caught one yellowtail snapper and a short grouper (surprise, surprise)...

Went back out for a quick evening troll & the seas had chopped up a good bit. We caught 1 Spanish mackerel & had a toothy fish hit and remove a hook off of a braid lure. I'm pretty sure it was a wahoo, but not certain? :banghead:banghead:banghead

Good luck out there everyone.
Ed Moore
Broker-Owner
Live South Florida Realty, Inc.
LiveSouthFL.com

*FREE MLS app for your mobile device: Text EDMOORE to 87778 or visit: http://87778.mobi/EDMOORE/

Replies

• Totally HookedTotally Hooked Posts: 599 Officer
    Thanks for the report. I had 3 buddies that did the same thing. your not alone.....
    [SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Brfdlt/jump.gif[/SIGPIC]

Life begin's as soon as I leave the dock!
  • AnyhooAnyhoo Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Probably saw you out there. Left Boca inlet at 6:30. Trolled for wahoo for the first 90 minutes. Weed were brutal. Caught one cuda and took off. Headed offshore to look for mahi. Found all sorts of floating debris. None of it held any mahi. Would up 27 miles off and still nothing. I wispy thin line with bait under what weed there was. Trolled for a bit-Nothing. Headed back-found a floating stump-Nothing. Fished the reef for one yellowtail, a couple of undersize snapper and a grunt. Called it a day. Worst trip in 3 years. Ocean was just dead (at least were we were).

Anyhoo.
  • wharf ratwharf rat Posts: 142 Officer
    Same for me out of boca. Trolled inside 6-830 with no bites and headed off. Worked the rip about 10 off and found a log with bait on it but no mahi. Trolled the rip for 30 with no action. Called it a day early. Came home with our tails between our legs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    21st Century Auto
    14 NW 2nd St.
    Deerfield Beach FL 33441
    (954)427-5753
    Est. 1983
  • Rlap5455Rlap5455 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Had a similar day out of Boca Saturday morning. Left out about 7:30, trolled north from 100 to 300 ft as far as Boynton. When we circled back and had the only hit on the troll, it was a sailfish, that quickly broke our line, and then put on a spectacular free jumping show for a few minutes, just to make sure we saw he got away. Then retreated for some bottom fishing, with a bunch of shorties. At least we were out there.
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    It happens...sometimes it's just dead out there...good for mixing it up and trying different things....you gave it everything, thanks for report, I'll remember it the next time I strike out that I'm not the only one it happens to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OldSaltOldSalt Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Barracuda wrote: »
    It happens...sometimes it's just dead out there...good for mixing it up and trying different things....you gave it everything, thanks for report, I'll remember it the next time I strike out that I'm not the only one it happens to!

Ditto!