Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ok. Now I'm mad.

Been hearing about these pesky throw back fish, but now they are taking over my grouper spots. Been fishing these areas for 15+ years without having to deal with these. But I guess it's due to their extreme rarity that it got this way.
2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
Hurricane 246 FunDeck

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,251 Admiral
    Been hearing about these pesky throw back fish, but now they are taking over my grouper spots. Been fishing these areas for 15+ years without having to deal with these. But I guess it's due to their extreme rarity that it got this way.

Five of my great grouper spots out of Destin have been overrun with those endangers red snapper. Can't find a grouper bite now.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• harbisonharbison Posts: 4,060 Captain
    Now hold on...NOAA can 'prove' that red snapper do not exist.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,434 Officer
    Must be photo-shopped. Everyone knows there are no ARS in the Gulf........
  • LJW50LJW50 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I have been catching them on swiss cheese bottom for a month. No real structure but they are loaded up on it.
  • Matt822Matt822 Posts: 149 Officer
    throw it back so the commercial guys can catch it and sell it!
  • Grouper7Grouper7 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Same here. 80-90ft depths are loaded with those sizes.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,463 Officer
    I was getting them right at 60ft. Like I said, never caught them before.

This really has to change. And cutting back recreational seasons is certainly not the answer.

Like LJW50 said. These were just on swiss cheese bottom. Not even a show of fish or any relief on the sounder.
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,210 Moderator
    ARS regs certainly do not have a whole ton of logic to them, kind of sad...frustrating, you pick the adjective.
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 603 Officer
    just carry a sharpie with you and turn them into muttons!
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 479 Deckhand

Now that is funny and now the thoughts are HMMMM......Would it stay after ice
  • bigh20bigh20 Posts: 251 Deckhand

:rotflmao
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Just put them on a diet. Filet and release. LOL
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,463 Officer
    And another trip this weekend getting to throw back a bunch of ARS. Went an extra 10 miles to go North to my old tried and true grouper holes in Hernando 40-45' of water. It's getting silly. All of them at least 17".

Only way to avoid them was BIG live bait. Then most of the gags were getting nailed by Jewfish. Got a few gags out of his mouth but only got 1 keeper to the boat after wrestling it back from the monster. Poor guy almost looked happy to see me. LOL

Oh, and (1) 20"+ Mango. Getting harder to convince the Mrs. that spending $150 in fuel for 2 fish is worth it.:shrug
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck