Home Sportsman's Kitchen

sous vide

big al 75bbig al 75b Posts: 28 Deckhand
i have a sous vide cooker coming this weekend. anybody tried one. was hoping for some tips or recipies.
thanks, al
a drinkerman with a fishing problem

Replies

• LiverockLiverock Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Kenji Lopez over at Serious Eats has posted a wealth of sous vide information. My favorite recipes so far are long cooked chuck roast and definitely the Short Ribs! http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide
  • castnet3castnet3 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I did a 12lb brisket for 60 hr @ 130....then seared the hell out of it on both sides...was great!!!
  • jjvanbjjvanb Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Something that no one seems to mention is food safety when cooking food sous vide. After you seal your food item, you should pasturize in boiling water for 1 min or 180 water for 3. And be careful when preparing recipes that call for extended cooking below 140. That is where bacteria can grow and cause you some trouble. Other than that.... you can add anything to the food to impart flavor... your creativity is the limit. Generally sear or grill proteins after you sous vide, just to add that flavorful crust. Get yourself a good digital thermometer with a probe. You can use adhesive weatherstripping foam to prevent the probe from breaking the seal. The big benefit of sous vide is a more tender texture, because it cooks longer without overcooking, and it cooks much more evenly. You can do a rack of lamb that has the same pink in between the bones as it does in the center. Knowing what temperature you want your finished food at is more important than following a recipe.
    Not everything is better with sous vide.. I did two new york strips side by side, one sous vide, then finished on the grill, and one start to finish on the grill. The sous vide one was more tender.... but the additional char and flavor from the only grilled one had so much more flavor, it was definitely better.

Try the following temps as starting points and adjust to your taste..

Beef- rare-122 med-rare 131 medium 140 medium well 146 .. no need to go above that..
    Salmon or meaty fish- 116
    Hard vegetables- 180

Hope this of some help! Would love to hear how your first sous vide meal turns out.