Home General Paddle Craft

Fishing for Giant Tarpon from a Kayak

Lightning strikes twice for me this 2016 ocean kayaking season. Got my second giant tarpon of the year over the weekend fishing just north of Sebastian Inlet. Trolling Live Atlantic Bumpers (Horn Bellies) for bait.

This fish had a relentless spirit about it and despite by best efforts and plenty of experience whipping big tarpon in short order, still battled me for hours dragging me all over the ocean. Glad to finally win out in the end and release her!

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjgxmYex3M&spfreload=10

Replies

• Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Dude. That's sick! Nice work.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,974 Captain
    Congrats. That was quite a long sleigh ride fight. Kudos for respecting the law, and jumping in the water to revive and photo your Tarpon catch. Nice footage and good job. I did a trip out of Sebastian earlier this year...nothing but sharks on the atlantic pumper. I can catch plenty of Tarpon down in Ft. Lauderdale, but would like to make a trip back to Sebastian for big Red and Black Drums. Any idea when is best for that ? or a local fish report that I could monitor to find out when to go ?
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    That's one massive Sardine there Sir. Great job. Two lifetime fish in a single year!!
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    RWood, well done! Way to go treating the fish with respect.

John, bull reds give us nonstop action here October/November/December with Nov being the best IMO. Winds and surf are unpredictable, but on the right day may be doable from a yak. PM me as it gets closer and hopefully we can hookup and give em hell. I usually fish it several nights a week during that mullet run and its off the hook!!! Bull red on each drift in the inlet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Impressive! Thank you for making sure that fish swam away!
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Great catch.:Rockon
  • RWood OutdoorsRWood Outdoors Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Winter months for Sebastian inlet Redfish and black drum.
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Wow! Really nice video Ryan. Thank you. As you jumped in with the fish, did you have any concern that a really big shark might have been attracted to the fuss?
  • RWood OutdoorsRWood Outdoors Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Yeah the sharks were in the back of my mind, and I probably won't be making a habit of doing that. But with the adrenaline rushing and considering I didn't have a shark problem for the duration of the 2.5 hour fight, I went for it. Couldn't be worse than spear fishing right?
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,974 Captain
    davederb wrote: »

John, bull reds give us nonstop action here October/November/December with Nov being the best IMO. Winds and surf are unpredictable, but on the right day may be doable from a yak. PM me as it gets closer and hopefully we can hookup and give em hell. I usually fish it several nights a week during that mullet run and its off the hook!!! Bull red on each drift in the inlet.

Appreciate the info. Late Fall/Winter months not optimistic for kayaking offshore Sebastian, but I will stay in touch -- Thanks
    Winter months for Sebastian inlet Redfish and black drum.

Thank you
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    I had that video on my "watch later" playlist and finally got around to watching it. Good job!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!