Home Fly Fishing

best sweet water fly

CajunRichCajunRich Posts: 262 Officer
I still trying to get into fly fishing and have a lot to learn. With the water being very low right now the fish seem easy to find. Come August I will graduate and have more time to dedicate and I am very much looking forward to the challenge.

Replies

• deerflydeerfly Posts: 768 Officer
    you might start with learning to be more specific. :)

Just needling ya a bit there, but this can't be a silent bunch when the questions are a bit vague. That said, there is no best fresh water fly as there's no best saltwater fly either. What type of fish and/or waters are you planning to fish?

Generally speaking, panfish and yearling size bass will hit pretty much anything that looks like something they might be able to eat. Kinda' like the miniature great white sharks of America's interior when they are on the feed. Poppers, rubber spiders, small baitfish patterns, etc hardly make a difference, they all work under most conditions. You just have to put them in the water where the fish are. If it's freshwater trout (any species) you're targeting I can't help you there whatsoever.

Anyway, give us a bit more to go on and I bet you'll get some good answers. Panfishing with a fly rod can be some of the most fun that can be had with the long rod. Welcome to the insanity too btw...
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Hmmmm. As the question is written, I'll read it as, "If you could take only one fly to fresh water for the rest of your life, what would it be?"

In that context, it would probably be the Turk Tarantula, probably in a size 6.

You can dope it up and pop it on top, or let it get soggy and fish it sort of like a muddler. Had success in lakes/ponds, canals, moving water, still water, heavy vegitation - you name it. Bass, panfish, catfish, cichlids, peacocks...

If you narrow your question a bit, I reserve the right to change my choice!

And like Deerfly said, welcome to the insanity. If you are married, start buying your wife flowers now. She won't understand later once the illness really takes over...
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    And like Deerfly said, welcome to the insanity. If you are married, start buying your wife flowers now. She won't understand later once the illness really takes over...

LoL, women just don't understand the passion of fly tying & wait until you tie your first fly, the feeling that you get is amazing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • CajunRichCajunRich Posts: 262 Officer
    I am in south Florida my main interest are bass, crappie and bream. Its a new fishing challenge for me. I purchased a random couple boxes of flies of ebay to try an assortment of things. I need to put more time with it on the water.
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    Check here http://flaflyfish.com/library-of-flies.html at Florida Fly Fishing "Library of Flies" see Myakka Minnow and Black is Back on last page for bass, bream, etc....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • CajunRichCajunRich Posts: 262 Officer
    Thanks thinfisher that is a lot of info that I will spend some time reading.
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 768 Officer
    Miama, heck you're in bass and panfish mecca plus a few exotics thrown in for good measure! Spent the first 41yrs of my life down there. Between the residential canals and lakes out to the Everglades you have no shortage of options for bass and panfish for sure.

I think if I was to only have one fly for that it'd probably be a rubber legged popper on a #6 or #8 size hook. Chartruse is a good color, as is black or yellow. Maybe a size or two bigger if you'd rather miss some of the bluegills attacks in hopes of hooking more bass. You can make them yourself or buy them.

This sort of thing is probably about as easy as fly fishing gets and is probably why it's so much fun. The thing is though, more often than not you need to be patient and slow with working the fly. Try to cast as close to cover as you can. Once the fly hits the water let it sit a few seconds. If it isn't hit immediately (which happens a lot close to cover or under over hanging vegetation, etc) then short strip it a couple times and let it sit some more. Keep an inch or two of your rod tip submerged and pointed at the bug to get the best connection with the fly. Repeat this maybe 3-4 times then pick up and recast. I've had countless hits when I've cast the bug out there then stop to fiddle with something in the boat or what ever and after 10-20 seconds or more hear that pop and have an angry bluegill making off with the bug. :) Enjoy...
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra