Home General Paddle Craft

Kayak Recommendation

bdawk2020bdawk2020 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Had to sell my kayak(RTM Tempo Angler) a while back due to some circumstances at the time. Now looking to get back into it. Looking at used Cuda 14 or a OK Trident 13. Trident is appealing due to the lower weight. But seat is very appealing in the cuda. Anyone out there paddled these two for comparison? Dont know anywhere where I can demo a jackson in dade or broward. I do mostly inshore/nearshore but would like to slowly venture offshore in the near future once I get proper equipment. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    If you wait a couple months and save up, you could go for a brand new Ocean Kayak Trident 13 with their new seat.
    Here's a vid from I-cast in case you missed it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MNX-cuJO88
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • bdawk2020bdawk2020 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Definitely looks cool. Digging the hatch. Ive seen people online do that modification, nice to see OK update it. I still think I'll go for something used at the moment and continue saving. At the price point for a lot of these paddle kayaks id rather get a Hobie or one of the newer pedal kayaks sometime in the future. Hopefully some of the new options work well and add some competition to the pedal marketplace .

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    Trident 13 hands down. I've been on a Coosa, with the lawn chair seat. It makes make for crappy paddling angles and completely messes up your balance. While I've never paddled the Cuda, just looking at the specs, it's way too wide and bulky to be paddling over distance.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 872 Officer
    Coosa is a pig, designed to fish rivers and not what he asked about.
    Cuda is a good choice, not hard at all to paddle distances, i just raced mine a couple miles to the beach, bleeding pretty good. Got to car before the lightheadedness set in too bad. Tide and wind were against me as well.
    Do know that a hobie mirage drive wouldve hurt more.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
    Coosa and Cuda use the same seat. Which is what I was referring to since OP is only considering the Cuda for the seat.
    "Way too wide and bulky to be padding distance"
    So this was?
    I have a cuda 14. Its narrower than a cuda 12, which is narrower and shaped much differently than the river boat you borrowed for a day.
    Do have same seat though. But everything below that is not similar.
    I borrowed a coosa too, thought it was too fat as well. Wasnt in a river though.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
    "Way too wide and bulky to be padding distance"
    So this was?
    I have a cuda 14. Its narrower than a cuda 12, which is narrower and shaped much differently than the river boat you borrowed for a day.
    Do have same seat though. But everything below that is not similar.
    I borrowed a coosa too, thought it was too fat as well. Wasnt in a river though.

That was meant for the Cuda 14, but I'm just looking at the spec sheet so I'll concede the point to you since you've been on one. Also, I'm not comparing the Cuda 14 to the Coosa. I'm comparing it to the Prowler 13. I've paddled a Prowler 13 for 6+ years offshore with an average trip of 10 miles at 3.5 knots. In my opinion, the Prowler with a 28'' beam is the widest I would consider paddling offshore. I've recently upgraded to a kayak with a 24'' beam. Just looking at the spec sheet of the Cuda 14 with a 31'' beam and an elevated seat, it can't be in the same class as a Prowler. A 3'' beam difference might not seem like much on paper, but it's huge on the water. I've had a Necky Dolphin with a 25'' beam for several years and it's leaps and bounds faster than the Prowler. However, we all have different abilities and preferences, so if you can take a Cuda 14 offshore all the power to you.
    Dont think i couldve been standing up, rod in 1 hand beer in the other in a yak with 25in beam.
    Preferences and compromises.
    Jeff Cooper