Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Plant City

Hi!

I will be staying in Plant City, Florida, from January to August 2017 and I plan to do as much fishing as possible, especially in saltwater. My options are limited - a car and a kayak should get me on some decent fishing, though. These are some of my questions:

1) Are private lakes clearly fenced off? Will I know when I am entering private property? I dont wanna get shot at if possible, yet when you look at the area from an aerial perspective, theres lots of smaller lakes and ponds that seem to be easily accessible. If they do hold fish, can I simply fish there?

2) Are alligators a considerable threat to kayak fishermen?

3) What are the saltwater spots you can recommend? If possible, they should be reachable within a one hour drive from Plant City. I especially love snook fishing, so it would be great if you could give me some advice on where to find them. I already found plenty of information on this topic, just wanted to know if you could come up with anything else.

Im from Europe; English is not my native tongue. I know those questions might sound stupid, especially the "stand your ground" laws were kind of hard for me to grasp at first :-D
In no way do i mean to be a troll, but its harder than expected to find information on some of these topics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings :-)

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    1) There are plenty of lakes, yes private lakes will be fenced off.

2) No, gators are not a problem, but hanging your feet over the side...not so much.

3) Saltwater is a 30-45 minute drive. Upper Tampa bay is closest. Double branch is the the only one I've done in that area and it is a great winter paddle fishing spot.

Here is a launch site map that should help.
    http://www.paddling.net/launches/

Snook are on the beaches in the summer backcountry in the winter.

On foot there is ft desoto pier or it's a great place to paddle fish. Also the skyway and pier 60 are fun.

Don't concern yourself with stand your ground laws, it's way overhyped.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • browntroutbrowntrout Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks! That site already helps a lot. Looking forward to it a lot!
    All the best
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 746 Officer
    cpr wrote: »
    1) There are plenty of lakes, yes private lakes will be fenced off.

2) No, gators are not a problem, but hanging your feet over the side...not so much.

3) Saltwater is a 30-45 minute drive. Upper Tampa bay is closest. Double branch is the the only one I've done in that area and it is a great winter paddle fishing spot.

Here is a launch site map that should help.
    http://www.paddling.net/launches/

Snook are on the beaches in the summer backcountry in the winter.

On foot there is ft desoto pier or it's a great place to paddle fish. Also the skyway and pier 60 are fun.

Don't concern yourself with stand your ground laws, it's way overhyped.

Like CPR said, the Double Branch area is a VERY fishy area and probably the closest saltwater fishing area for where you will be. The public access for Double Branch is "Upper Tampa Bay Park" and they have a pretty decent kayak launch area along the boardwalk there. Snook, redfish, trout and big jack crevalle were there the last time I fished it.

I would also suggest that you look at the "South Shore" area of Tampa Bay. By this I mean the areas between Cockroach Bay and south along the shore down to the southern end of the skyway bridge. That stretch of water is all within an hour drive of Plant City and there is a fair bit of public access between cockroach and terra ceia.

As a freshwater alternative to lakes, I would suggest that you give some of the local rivers a try. River fishing has a learning curve if you've only ever fished in lakes and ponds, but they have the benefit of getting less fishing pressure, on average. The Upper Hilsborough River holds a lot of largemouth bass and has several easy public access areas for kayaks. Hillsborough River State Park has access as does Sargeant Park.

The only place I've ever had trouble with gators from a kayak is Myakka River State Park; people feed the gators there and they are aggressive as hell because of it.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I would also suggest that you look at the "South Shore" area of Tampa Bay. By this I mean the areas between Cockroach Bay and south along the shore down to the southern end of the skyway bridge. That stretch of water is all within an hour drive of Plant City and there is a fair bit of public access between cockroach and terra ceia.

True, I drive over an hour to kayak fish near the skyway. I used to do cockroach, that's great also, just more people.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr