Can I hunt this area or no?

HawgSlayer279HawgSlayer279 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
This area is close to the house and never see anyone hunting it but always see deer. There no "posted or no trespassing" signs anywhere, I don't see a problem with hunting here but I wanted to get a second opinion? Thanks guys

Replies

• dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 875 Officer
    Just because its not posted doesn't mean everyone can do as they please with it. Best thing would be to find out who owns it on your county property appraiser website and try to contact the owner and ask permission.
  • HookandStickHookandStick Posts: 152 Deckhand
    dilligaf84 wrote: »
    Just because its not posted doesn't mean everyone can do as they please with it. Best thing would be to find out who owns it on your county property appraiser website and try to contact the owner and ask permission.

This.. it wouldn't hurt to ask.
  • arrowheadhuntarrowheadhunt Posts: 167 Deckhand
    With permission from the owner....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    Armed trespass is a felony. Keep that in mind!
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 807 Officer
    Armed trespass is a felony. Keep that in mind!

He's right I have a friend who can attest to this. It cost him a rifle and almost 5 grand.
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 364 Deckhand
    I believe for it to be armed trespass, the property has to meet certain criteria such as having posted signs every so many feet. I also believe those signs must meet certain other criteria. Don't get me wrong, I would not hunt without doing my homework.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,899 Captain
    Definitely a gray area. Can be armed trespass if posted or you cross a fence or has obvious agricultural usage like tree farm or you have been previously asked to leave. Lots of leeway for the sheriff or FWC to decide. Best to ask permissions first.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,034 Officer
    Straight from FWC

"Trespassing

The possession of a hunting license does not authorize a person to trespass onto private land. Obtain landowner’s permission before entering private land. Trespassing while possessing a firearm or other dangerous weapon is a felony punishable by imprisonment up to five years and/or a fine of up to $5,000."

SO - Your answer is no.

The baloney about needing signs - if you don't own the land and don't have permission, you have NO RIGHT to be there. It really is as simple as that. Try doing that on a hunt club - most aren't posted.

The joy of it all is once convicted you can never legally own a gun again. If it is my land, I will gladly relieve you of that right.

Sorry if I'm over the top but that's how most people who've been stepped on are. Most landowners have been stepped on. It isn't worth it.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,410 AG
    County property appraiser site is your friend ;)

There is private property all around me that isn't posted. Doesn't mean I can legally hunt it though.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain
    Rich M has it pegged correctly!

I own a little over 100 acres in Washington, County. Backs up on 3 sides to Water Management property that is fairly loaded with rare and endangered biota and is closed to the public even for walking around in. (30 days in the "electric chair" IF you get caught on the Water Management's dirt!) I had a problem with a local "Sand Ridge Red-Neck" deer hunting on my property, crossing a well harrowed out fire line. Talked it over with the local Game Warden who went to the individual and read him the "Riot Act" on trespassing with a firearm. It definitely IS a felony to be on private property with a firearm regardless of signs being up or not!