Home Ask the Law!

probable cause

voltmanvoltman Posts: 140 Deckhand
Florida House Bill CS 703 was approved by the Governor March 25, 2016, and will go into effect starting July 1, 2016. The legislation requires law enforcement to need "probable cause" before stopping or inspecting a vessel if it displays a recent safety inspection decal issued by law enforcement on a previous stop.
q..do we really have to get stopped or can we request one somewhere ?

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,378 Officer
    You can call and ask for an inspection. Why are you worried about being stopped? They don't carry out a death penalty on the spot and they've always been courteous with me. It's their job!
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Please remember that if your fishing or hunting it is considered in this state as a highly regulated activity and you may still be checked for that. Also of note is that the new law has no bearing on the Coast Guard, U.S. Fish and Wildlife and Border Patrol.
  • voltmanvoltman Posts: 140 Deckhand
    fish_stix wrote: »
    You can call and ask for an inspection. Why are you worried about being stopped? They don't carry out a death penalty on the spot and they've always been courteous with me. It's their job!

i want the inspection sticker so they don't have to waist there resources on me, it would be better served if
    they use it on the 10 people on a 18 foot boat.