How long will the Snook be on the beaches?

palatkacrackapalatkacracka Posts: 107 Officer
Newer to Tampa and really wanna get on the Snook off the beach on my fly rod. Unfortunately my Powell 8wt was broken during the move and I'm waiting on a replacement. How long should the Snook be off of the beaches? Really don't wanna wait til next year!

Thanks!

Replies

• remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    I catch them in September, while on vacation on the West coast.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    Buy a TFO BVK and hit the beaches now and should you break it they are FAST on the replacement.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,281 Captain
    I had a 5 fish day in February this year. 2 shorts, 2 slots and a 35", I was targeting flounder and pompano. The numbers will hang around until mid November, but I get them as bycatch all year.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Til they're Gone
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Capt HansenCapt Hansen Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Get another rod and get after them. Even if it is a 50 dollar beater from a big box store. I can't imagine not having a backup rod
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 160 Deckhand
    What Capt Hansen said! Do it it now! Best snook bite in years.

My biggest ever was 40" on a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek 6 wt for $89. My first fly rod (a gift)

Good advice on TFO, I have 8 of them from 5-8 wts.( I like to keep multiple rods rigged) Good value, great warranty. The cheaper Orvis reels are decent in the Large Arbor for 8 wts and Mid arbor for 5&6 wts Rinse REAL well after salt use . TFO a little clunky, I overline mine by one line size.
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    They will be on the beaches into December for sure and most likely longer. Snook are still in spawn mode and stay that way until the water cools down and then they get back into the business of eating on a regular basis. The fall months are some of the best times to fish Snook on the beach.
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Posts: 1,255 Officer
    Until snook season comes back in ! They have a great sense when to go into the backcountry.........
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    Well did you get out there yet?
    I just got back from 3 days at Anna Maria last night. After much frustration I did finally get one to commit. Most fish I saw were after the beach goers pretty well filled up the beach and water. Saw very few to none before 10:00 am which was strange. And visibility was fantastic too. Watched an over slot girl swim six feet in front of a guy 25 feet from shore. Of the over 60-70 fish I saw and cast to ( with bout every different fly I had ) I only had four or five follows and two hits and caught just this one. AND it was the last fish I saw before packing it in to come back to Merritt Island.
  • Jared DJared D Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
    Way to stick it out Saltybum. Nice one.
  • palatkacrackapalatkacracka Posts: 107 Officer
    That's killer! Pretty fish. Good to see a fellow Merritt Islander on the forum.

Finally got my first snook on the fly recently, although not on the beach sight casting like I would like to.

I've been strapped for cash and looking for a good deal on a rod and finally purchased a new Cabelas tlr 8 wt that I actually like a whole lot. It's not a BVK or my old Powell, but I'm only in PA school for 1.5 more years and I have my whole life to purchase good equipment.

ANYWAYS I went out to one of my favorite wading flats and started blind casting an old deceiver type pattern that I got up in Maine when I was fishing for stripers. Looks kinda like a little pilchard. Cast up into an oyster bar and she slammed it! Started off barely knowing she was hooked and then took off towards the oysters. Thought she was gonna break me off but I ended up pulling her out. Stoked! 24". Crappy picture but I was shaking from the excitement and also waste deep in water avoiding being struck by lightning while trying to safely release her to go make some more!
  • FlySidelinerFlySideliner Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I travel down regularly Spring and Fall and see them well into October. A friend of mine is a guide and he said last year they found them into December, which is not as common he said. I think it depends on when the winter cold front hits. More experienced people than I are on this board that can answer with more detail.