Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Jet Boat Mechanic?

New neighbor has a Sea Doo jet boat that he needs to get a little work done on. Any suggestions in the Merritt Island vicinity? Mobile preferred, but not necessary.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    I don't know.
    Mechanic is hard to find now a days.
    About all we have is parts changers now.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Thanks?......:)

I know what you mean, a real mechanic is hard to find.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    I'd take anything boating here.
    Ahoy marine sanford fl

Address: 511 E 25th St, Sanford, FL 32771
    Phone: (407) 323-8373

I have watched him trouble shoot computer controlled motors.
    That the scanner couldn't find the problem.
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    Anyone who works on regular motors shouldn't have a problem, especially carbed ones. I rebuilt a bombardier 2-stroke 7-8 years ago in my garage and I am an IT/Network guy. There are tons of videos on youtube that show you how to replace the impeller and how the propulsion system works which is unique to a jetboat/ski. The biggest problem is the mikuni carbs.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Thanks fellas, I'll pass it along. I think his main issue is that the throttle cable is entirely too stiff which sounds like an adjustment or possibly a replacement to me.

He was asking for suggestions so I said I'd ask on some of the fishing forums I was part of, but that most of those folks aren't really a fan of the jet boats. I personally wouldn't want to own one, but could definitely see where they could be fun to operate from time to time.
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    They are definitely fun when they are running.
    We used to have a 17 footer with the twin 85-hp rotax motors.
    Was a blast to screw around with and slide it out/etc...