Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Kayak fishing help

I will be in the clearwater/tampa area next week and we are carrying the kayaks. I was wondering where good areas are to try. My cousin and i will be fishing while the ladies are just going to be floating around. Also what kind of fish can we expect to catch? Will artificials work or live bait? Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Replies

• IDKIDK Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Front side of weedon island is pretty good on outgoing tides. Can launch kayaks from Gandy. I prefer artificials-shrimp is picked off by pins, etc. too quickly.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    The ladies will just be floating around, is that right? They would like it around Ft Desoto - lots of nice beach and protected areas and real bathrooms. And plenty of fish too for you & your cousin. Usually plenty of trout and some redfish around there, with some snook, Spanish macks, ladyfish & sheepshead mixed in. Often lots of bonnethead sharks, and other types if you fish the channels. It would seem hard to me to be skunked by going around the grass flats there, concentrating on potholes. Throw gold spoons, Gulps under a popping cork, jig head w/ grub body, a little Mirrodine. If that seems like what you are after, PM me and I'll give you more specifics. Good luck.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Just be sure you have spf 30.
    And bug spray.
    God, save the South!