Home Ask the Law!

what is the law to carry a pistol at all times in florida

silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 362 Deckhand
times are a changing, i have never carried a pistol before but want to start.
i always use a fanny pack as my wallet and it is the perfect place for a small
pistol so what is the law here in florida in order to do this? what do i have to
do to be legal? can i use it in self defense or to help someone else who is
being harmed?

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,453 Officer
    A fanny pack is kind of advertising that you are carrying and that might not be the best way to go, since a thug just might decide to cap you for the weapon without any warning. Most CWP people moved to groin, waist, or pocket holsters. Plus, law enforcement will scrutinize you where ever you go if you are wearing a fanny pack that is obviously laden with weight.
    Giimoozaabi
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    I have ohio ccw, I can tell you with the train I've had you would be dead before un zipping your fanny pack. Get the proper liscence for florida, take a class. Study the laws they give you. On or in your hip is probly the best conceal place imo. Good luck.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,378 Officer
    silentfaith; you cannot carry a concealed weapon in Florida unless you have a concealed weapon permit, period! Doesn't matter whether it's in a fanny pack or you carry it around in a 500 lb safe backpack style! Google Florida Concealed Weapon regs and all your questions will be answered.
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    As long as you have a CCW you can carry 24-7 hospitals and government buildings are off limits as are schools and airports if you happen to see signs at stores that say no guns its up to you if you want to go in or not those signs mean nothing in Florida. I have carried in places I shouldn,t have only because I forgot I,m carrying
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,453 Officer
    repair wrote: »
    As long as you have a CCW you can carry 24-7 hospitals and government buildings are off limits as are schools and airports if you happen to see signs at stores that say no guns its up to you if you want to go in or not those signs mean nothing in Florida. I have carried in places I shouldn,t have only because I forgot I,m carrying

I do not believe hospitals are off limits unless they changed the regulations recently.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html
    Giimoozaabi
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,774 Moderator
    Florida statues, Chapter 790, covers firearms.

To carry on your person, as you put it, 24/7, you will need to acquire a concealed carry license, FSS 790.06. When you review that specific statute, 790.06 (12)(a) covers the areas that you are prohibited, by law, from carrying concealed. Note: Hospitals are not restricted areas.

As far as carry in your home, no license is needed.

Carry in your private conveyance also does NOT require any special licensing. FSS 790.25(5), 790.251 cover these areas. You can carry in your vehicle so long as the firearm is not readably accessible or is securely encased. These two terms are defined in 790.001 as to their legal definitions.

There are other statutes that cover open carry of firearms. Although Florida is not an OC state, 790.053, there are certain statutes and circumstances where OC is allowed, such as: FSS 790.25 (3) (a-o) These statutes cover open carry while at gun ranges, going to and from a store that sells firearms, gunsmith locations, hunting, fishing, camping etc,.

Again, familiarize yourself with Chapter 790. Peruse through the statutes and educate yourself on the laws of this state.
    Be safe!
    TripX
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,934 Admiral
    times are a changing, i have never carried a pistol before but want to start.
    i always use a fanny pack as my wallet and it is the perfect place for a small
    pistol so what is the law here in florida in order to do this? what do i have to
    do to be legal? can i use it in self defense or to help someone else who is
    being harmed?

Is a guy who regularly uses a fanny pack even allow to buy a gun in Florida!
  • CpsdadCpsdad Posts: 119 Deckhand
    :rotflmao
    Is a guy who regularly uses a fanny pack even allow to buy a gun in Florida!