Home Tropics

Cape Cod Report-A-Thon 6/17-26th!

Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
Jenn and I own a 1-week timeshare in her native New Zealand and we are able to 'trade' that week for units all around the world. We even traded our 'week' to upgrade to an outer cabin with balcony for an Alaska Cruise that we did out of Seattle in 2005! We did the same in May on 2014 down in St Maarten.

We looked from Puget Sound to Maine to use our 'week' some place where we could enjoy cooler and drier air from our normal, South Florida, Keys and Bahamas summers and we hit a grand slam with this one! We found a wonderful, one-bedroom, 2-bath townhouse type of unit just minutes from Hyannis Harbour in nearby Yarmouth. "The Cove at Yarmouth". This Report will be full of fishing, boats, commercial fishing boats, lighthouses, maritime, seafood, docktails and more!

We hopped on our jetBlue A-320 flight out of FLL only to be delayed and delayed for hours due to rain. Finally, 3 hours late, we were making our approach to the southwest into nearby Providence Airport (PVD). Nice view of Narragansett Bay, looking south.......

DSC01092_zpsw4at6snd.jpg

Very cool shot of the Pomham Rocks Lighthouse! One of the original lighthouse keepers had a piano brought over for his wife. They had to hang it between two masts and then tilt the boat over to lower in onto land! :willynilly

DSC01090_zpsj3xeb1ev.jpg

Got our bags, got the rental car (Mustang Convertible of course!) and ended up having the put the top up because it was getting too cool on the evening drive to Yarmouth!

Had a nice dinner at Captain Parker's on Hwy 28 but I was furious when I realized that I had accidently left my heavily highlighted Cape Cod guide book back at the airport! :banghead The IPA beers and wonderful baked scallops did help a bit! There are dozens and dozens of places like Captain Parker's. All, with fresh, locally caught seafood.

captain-parker.jpg

Nice, cozy, 2-story unit! The small bedroom looks down onto the main floor! We have just enough of a kitchenette to enjoy tea, coffee in the mornings and we later prepared a small lobster bisque and sashimi 'dinner' too!

DSC01097_zpsfaesj1tm.jpg

"The Cove at Yarmouth" is located between 'Hyannis' and the Hwy (28) symbol. Very centrally located!

cape_basic.jpg

Jenn wanted to go to the Keltic Kitchen for breakfast so we did just that the first morning (last Saturday). I had Seafood Hash which has diced up shrimp, clams and mussels under the eggs in a crab cake sort of patty. The portions here are huge!

DSC01098_zpsfqkkn6le.jpg

Being just Day One, we took a drive along Hwy 28 which is the main drag for the southern coast in this part of the Cape. Found a very fun place called 'Sea Treasures'!

DSC01099_zpscdzcsslj.jpg

We resisted buying about 100 things but did go behind this fun place to an outlet for G. H. Bass shoes and clothes. There, the discounts were just too good to pass up and I picked up a new pair of fishing shoes and Jenn got some sandals.

We made our way to the Inner Harbor in Hyannis and soon found ourselves hopping on to the Jonathon Lewis which does one-hour harbor tours. We do these things all the time because it's fun and a great way to 'see' a lot of things in a short time! We also discovered that this Inner Harbor area is our favorite part of all of Cape Cod!

DSC01187_zps4vje0dni.jpg

Our Guide Book (bought another copy!) keeps talking about the crowds in July and August and it turns out that we got lucky in that not all Massachusetts schools were out for the summer when we got here! Lots of parking and on our Harbor Tour we had made 20 people total on the big boat!

Actor Donald Sutherland has a new summer job being the Captain of the Jonathon Lewis and he was nice enough to let me take a photo of the helm area. "You'll notice here on the Cape that the bright blue Solo Cups are THE cups that the locals use around the waterfront." Huh? :huh

DSC01111_zpsla6nbahh.jpg

We shoved off and we saw a lot of the Kenndey stuff as the Kennedy family has owned homes here for nearly 90 years. Here's the Kennedy Memorial.

DSC01142_zpskzu8rgnn.jpg

Here's the 6 acre Kennedy Compound. Father Joe and mother Rose lived in the large, middle house. JFK lived in the home to the right and Bobby Kennedy lived in the home to the left. Ted lived in the parent's home until he passed away in the home, in 2009. There is another home out on a point, that JFK used when he was President because it was easier to protect him that way, surrounded on three sides by water. If you have seen the Bush Compound in Kennebunkport, it's similar.

"But Gary, why do you still use a camera when your Super iphone takes great photos?" "Because my camera has a 30 power zoom." I needed and used it on this day and most others...........

DSC01167_zpsrtydgdak.jpg

DSC01162_zpsrsvkjphe.jpg

Uggggghhhh...... this is how accidents happen! :nono

DSC01154_zpsbv5uovee.jpg

This house/compound was across from the Kennedys and although I'm not a sailboater, this looked pretty nice!

DSC01151_zpslak4ibpo.jpg

The main 'inlet' from Nantucket Sound is actually a bit narrow as you can see here where this freight boat is coming in as we are about to turn around to head back in.......

DSC01148_zps3rc4rj7w.jpg

'Rachel' was our very cute and very knowledgeable tour guide! She's in school for Maritime Studies with plans to be a boat Captain!

DSC01160_zpspdlcrmbo.jpg

Here's the 'Grey Lady' coming out on her way to Nantucket. She's part of the Hy-Line Fleet based in the Inner Harbor at Hyannis. "See ya soon, Grey Lady"!! :)

DSC01173_zpst4i150lg.jpg

:huh

DSC01175_zpsqts6i3mp.jpg

"Look"! Jenn said. "She MUST be a local"! :grin "Yep, a blue SOLO cup for sure"!

DSC01178_zps9sgemxzu.jpg

The car ferrys dock up at a drive-on, drive-off Ramp and we had not decided if we were going to take the Mustang over to Nantucket or not, but here's the 'Gay Head' at the ramp. W-i-d-e........

DSC01181_zpsmqjfrt40.jpg

Our 'first day' was not quite done!

Replies

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
    After we docked back up from our harbor cruise, we just happened to be next to Spanky's Clam Shack! Plopping down outside just yards from the Jonathon Lewis, we ordered our first of a total of FIVE dozen oysters on this entire trip! Jenn got a new visor (since lost!) and I got a new sticker for my fishing bucket!

DSC01219_zpsfshrjxib.jpg

From our table, I saw that the local party boat was pulling in so I walked over to see how they had done. Lots of small fish, but the crew worked hard to clean them for the folks......

DSC01209_zpsjiwpm3jf.jpg

DSC01210_zps4r3dr3tl.jpg

Rods and tackle included......

DSC01214_zpsassllalv.jpg

Across the dock, this charter boat pulled in. Her Captain works out of John's Pass (Tampa area) in the winters........

DSC01213_zpszqhpn37p.jpg

They caught two nice fish....

DSC01217_zpsfkhhkmja.jpg

We then wandered down the harbor to see what what was going on down there on this nice Saturday afternoon. This nice owner of an older Intrepid was weighing in his two best Bluefish for a local Tournament.

DSC01206_zpsxbcjxmqg.jpg

DSC01205_zpsd4s3oj6m.jpg

They have a small commercial fishing fleet right there too and it was very cool to see these boats and chat with the crew! Mostly steel hulls and all with a countless number of dents and lots of rust!

DSC01192_zps5nmxp8wt.jpg

DSC01193_zpsysxidnhz.jpg

There's one area where the seafood trucks can back right up to the boats to unload as well as to also for the boats to take on fuel. Here, we saw a load of squid being unloaded from the ice bins below decks.

DSC01202_zpsgqnqlp0j.jpg

DSC01194_zps7crjo4he.jpg

They winch up 5-6 heavy, plastic bins that are full of squid and ice. They set the bins onto pallets that are on the trucks and then pull the full pallets into the trucks. They were nice enough to let me poke my camera in there.

DSC01195_zps56wdlvgq.jpg

DSC01196_zpsvps69rgr.jpg

DSC01200_zps2eg74qns.jpg

DSC01197_zpsg8j9jajl.jpg

We later wanted to walk around the top of the Inner Harbor to have dinner at Baxter's. Baxter's ended up as our favorite restaurant of the entire trip.

Ran into some fun things and a really nice 'family' fishing boat. Here's a nice, old boat being restored....

DSC01221_zpsk48slia4.jpg

Identical to our first Grady-White.

DSC01220_zpsst0r8sz8.jpg

Here's the 'family' boat. They were loading bait to be ready for a dawn departure the next morning. That Spanky's Clam Shack and our cruise boat just beyond to show how small the top of the Inner Harbor is.

DSC01222_zpsecgbmrwb.jpg

The boys with flats of frozen bait....

DSC01223_zps6gwbqvrq.jpg

Being old school, not a lot of really fancy, hi-tech electronics here. They probably operate under the plan of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

DSC01224_zpss7ozapxf.jpg

New traps...... The Dad/Capt designs them and the Mom (whom we chatted with) builds them.

DSC01227_zpsoytfydun.jpg
    More bait and prep work......

DSC01232_zpsnak6jiwc.jpg

DSC01231_zpsevcza3eg.jpg

We also saw this type of work boat.

DSC01230_zpsnd8np5qo.jpg

As well as this beautiful, older Viking.

DSC01229_zpswrccvhlx.jpg

A nice, old anchor in front of this house just up the road from Baxter's.......

DSC01234_zpsr1mh0x7m.jpg

Finally at Baxter's, we treated ourselves to the Fried Fish Bits! Wow were they awesome! Haddock on this day. A very dry, crispy coating which is my favorite.... Their IPA beer was nice too and Jenn enjoyed some New Zealand wines all during the trip.

DSC01233_zpsd0bkfeci.jpg

At the end of that first day, we realized just how much FUN we had enjoyed already! We still had a lot of things to do and places to see, so stay tuned!
    Next day was Father's Day and we already had dedicated Monday to take the ferry over to Nantucket so we did a 'road trip' west on Sunday to visit Wood's Hole and Falmouth, two small towns in the far southwest of Cape Cod. We also have friends that are buying a small home in Falmouth so we wanted to do a 'drive-by' to see where we will be visiting in the future! :grin

Falmouth was all decked out for Father's Day! The big lawn next to the Post Office had music, tents, displays, etc. What a fun little town! We had the top down on the Mustang and took the off-beaten path along the shoreline. We stopped at the Nobska Lighthouse that was built in 1876. This was the second lighthouse in as many countries that we had visited in just 10 days!

DSC01251_zpsv2lhyso5.jpg

We could easily see over to Martha's Vineyard and it was 'sloppy' that day......

DSC01244_zps7iuwayme.jpg

We had a nice discussion with a man at the Lighthouse and what he told us about Martha's Vineyard was enough to decide to not spend a day going over there. However, spending the next day in Nantucket was a blast!

We made our way back to the inner harbor at Hyannis in order to have a nice dinner out on the deck at the Black Cat Tavern. Seeing a boat being unloaded across the street, I had to go over! Here, they are unloading their version of 'Conch'. I never found them on a menu unfortunately.

DSC01257_zpsucf9bzjy.jpg

Back breaking work no doubt......

DSC01259_zpssd1mpov6.jpg

Back at our table on the deck at the Black Cat Tavern, dinner was served! Jenn had the Stuffed Lobster and I had a delicious Bouillabaisse!

DSC01262_zps7epuioaf.jpg

Next morning we got tickets for the one-hour Nantucket Ferry and an hour long bus tour around the island. Great view of 'Baxter's' as the ferry boat backs out of her slip.

DSC01265_zpsjkddhiyn.jpg

We saw the beautiful 32 Blackfin 'Black + Blue' several times. What a great looking boat! Almost enough to make me go shopping!

DSC01271_zpsi0d5rsge.jpg

This compound is located right at the exit/entrance to the Inner Harbor at Hyannis.

DSC01275_zpsu9iznxoi.jpg

We saw this USCG chopper on the way across to Nantucket. Jenn later read that a fisherman had fallen off a boat, became tangled in the net and drown. They were out looking to recover the body....... a sad day. :angel

DSC01280_zpssurezgyr.jpg

We barely made the Nantucket tour bus but the driver wound us all around the tight streets downtown before we moved out into the countryside. This is the oldest house in America going back to 1686!

DSC01283_zps1ymgkjmt.jpg

Windmills were used to grind grain. We saw another way to do that a few days later!

DSC01285_zpsulqf1lgn.jpg

If you had a home, your taxes were set based on how many windows your house had! Farther out to the east side of the island, we saw many former sea captain's homes. They usually named their homes for their ship! Many had a small 'widow's walk' on the roof and the wives would often sit up there, hoping to see their husband's ship coming back in. Many fishing 'trips' last 2-3 years! :hairraiser

Here's a huge home and most have tall hedges around them....... for privacy!

DSC01289_zpsjqorr1vz.jpg

Finally back at the harbor in Nantucket, it was time for lunch! We got a window seat at 'Cru'. With the large windows open here, we had a great view and a nice breeze. This is typical of the weather that we had 95% of our time! Daytime temps in the low 70s and dropping to the upper 50s at night! :grin

DSC01293_zpsvdsjkhph.jpg

Here's lunch! We had four types of Oysters here....... a New Zealand wine for Jenn and a local IPA for me.

DSC01294_zpstotp5yjf.jpg

So delicious.................... that we had another dozen! :hairraiser

We then walked the docks........ "Gorgeous boat! What year was she built?", I asked.

"2008", came his reply! :huh

It was based around a design from the early 1960s and it's based in Jupiter, Fl in the winter.

DSC01295_zpsgtvzepit.jpg

DSC01296_zpsm3vfwvgc.jpg

DSC01303_zpsl8udcha7.jpg

Yet another 'Harbor Tour' departing!

DSC01298_zpsxfwxxpnt.jpg

Very nice lines.......

DSC01301_zpsfnnhcrto.jpg

Looking back at 'Cru' as we depart on the ferry boat. You might notice all the empty boat slips in the photos above. We found out that Cape Cod is not very busy IF you visit before all the Massachusetts schools let out for the summer. We slid in with just a week to spare before the July and August crowds arrive.

DSC01312_zpstylnaidz.jpg

The Nantucket Harbor is pretty big, but some areas get a bit crowded.

DSC01317_zpslenos11z.jpg

The small lighthouse and the fairly narrow inlet on our way out....

DSC01319_zpskzyso9fa.jpg

Passing a Nantucket inbound fishing boat.

DSC01323_zpshv9dnwti.jpg

The ferry docks up right next to where the fishing boats unload. Here, this fisherman is filling his twin, 300 gallon fuel tanks while waiting to unload.

DSC01331_zpsop34bvwx.jpg

We drove around to Baxter's and I got a good look at this gorgeous 31 Bertam as well as this small Boston Whaler.

DSC01335_zpsmscjocoa.jpg

DSC01336_zpsoizyacs9.jpg

We grabbed a few beers and sat out on the deck at Baxter's to watch the evening 'boat show'.

DSC01340_zpsyuthtyn1.jpg

We saw 'Tina & Tom' go deep into the Inner Harbor and then depart. In the background is the Hyannis Marina and JFK kept one of his boats there.

DSC01345_zpsyd7vrer5.jpg

"Make sure that you take a photo of how Baxter's is mounted out over the water and explain to the guys in your Report, that Baxter's was originally an old fish house", Jenn said to me.....

DSC01343_zps8ky6q63j.jpg

The next few days had us planning to drive up to Provincetown, way up on the tip on Weds so we planned to take an 'easy' day on Tuesday. It ended up being a great 'easy' day!
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    wow very cool Gary. honestly never even thought of going there before this report. as usual, well done.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure anyone was enjoying this Report!

We spent a full week there and still did not see everything or everyplace even though we 'got out' all 7 days. The Cape is set up by 'areas/villages' etc and the guide book broke each of them down with tons of info on what to do, where to eat, where to park, section maps, etc so it was easy to be organized and not get overwhelmed. We feel that we know the Cape fairly well now......
  • KaimanaKaimana Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Fantastic report! I haven't been to the Cape in several years now and really miss it. Loved seeing all the shots you took of the boats and the fishermen.
  • the other tomthe other tom Posts: 123 Deckhand
    great job Gary, awesome pictorial!

"Barbie Doll" is a Rybovich that Summers in Nantucket.
    Tuesday, after the busy day on Nantucket, we decided to lay low and relax. But with yet another fantastic day weather-wise, I told Jenn that we 'needed' to take the Mustang out for a spin! Game Plan: Lunch at Alberto's Ristorante on the way west out 20 miles to Isaiah Thomas's Book Shop. I had seen their Ad for over 70,000 books on all subjects and that draws me like a moth to a light!

For those guys that have fished with me in the Bahamas, you'll know why I laughed when I took this photo of the Book Shop! :rotflmao

DSC01352_zpstibczksn.jpg

Four books later we were back on Hwy 28 and headed home. But, whenever we see a road sign that says
    > 'Marina' or 'Harbor' you can bet that we are making the turnoff! In this case the road took us down into the small but wonderful village of 'Osterville'. More super cute homes, winding roads, lush green trees and low and behold we found the harbor and the marinas!

It's a gated community across the bridge to the left but we pulled into the Oysters Harbor Marine facility to the right and above the bridge shown below.

aerial_lg.jpg

Super nice people there that allowed us to walk the docks looking at the various boats. Lots of fun boats blocked up as well!

The gorgeous 'Haymaker' with her 5-bladed props and prop pockets......

DSC01360_zpsdbkuc5mq.jpg

A cute Boston Whaler right in front of Haymaker with her fresh coat of bottom paint.

DSC01353_zpsi1cjp0bd.jpg

We don't see anything like this in South Florida!

DSC01356_zpsbwy2izel.jpg

But this looks more familiar! Not sure of the make......

DSC01359_zpsw2agqwhi.jpg

Saw these last two pretty ladies as we were leaving....

DSC01365_zpsiyptqfwu.jpg

We drove around the corner and found another boat yard tucked away. The beginnings of the Crosby Yacht Yard goes back to 1798! :hairraiser

http://crosbyyacht.com/history/

Notice the roof line and the timbers holding it in place! This building says 'Since 1850' on it!

DSC01366_zpsccivmqbe.jpg

We left cool little Osterville behind and pulled into a Seafood Market close to Hyannis. Since the timeshare unit had a kitchenette, we decided to whip something fresh up back there for a late dinner. We got a chunk of fresh tuna and a nice piece of salmon...... which is the tray that is missing!

DSC01367_zpsrs1aylgj.jpg

A lemon, soy sauce, wasabi and a quart of lobster bisque and we were on our way home!

Waiting for the lobster bisque to heat up.........

DSC01368_zpsmrviz4xm.jpg

The tuna was good, the bisque was great and the salmon was fantastic!

The next day, Weds was all set for the big drive up to Provincetown, 'P-Town' as the locals call it!
    Weds was P-Town day so we drove east on Hwy 28 to work our way over to Chatham, then north to Wellfleet and on to Provincetown.

cape_basic.jpg

Wow, Chatham was also a gorgeous little town! We drove through more neighborhoods and found a small public beach.

DSC01375_zpsrgjugyui.jpg

DSC01376_zpssijsg4hu.jpg

Also saw this old Grady-White! G-W revolutionized the small boating industry when they came out with the first, walk-around cuddy cabin like this one. We've enjoyed all three of our WA CCs by Grady. Notice the faux-wood slats on the hull! For sale! Runs great! $4,800!

DSC01373_zpsrsr9glvz.jpg

We had heard about the famous "Wellfleet" oysters so our guide book Recd 'Moby ****'s'. Order at the counter and they bring it to you......

DSC01379_zpsc2e4r5na.jpg

They were great!

DSC01377_zpsvgbzikcs.jpg

I'm not a fan of Maine Lobsters and I think that Lobster Rolls are way overrated but I got tempted by theirs and it did not dissapoint!

DSC01378_zpsjqlpvje2.jpg

The owner sat with us and gave us great advice on visiting Provincetown as well as to see a beach on the way back. Somehow military history came up and we found out that we both had a deep interest in D-Day and Normandy! We will be visiting there soon and he told us of the La Fiere Bridge and the 4-day battle that happened there after our paratroopers dropped in on it the first night. I told him that in fact, I was reading a book about that battle right then! He gave us a name of a lady to ask for there as he's friends with her and we plan to track her down. Small world!

Overall, we were not impressed with P-Town. Too touristy, too many T-shirt shops, etc. Glad we went but will never return. We did see this fishing 'boat'! :hairraiser

DSC01385_zpsb0sku61l.jpg

DSC01387_zpstfikzcrz.jpg

DSC01388_zpshju978ik.jpg

"Arrrrrrrggggg....... Leave me wench alone!" :cool

DSC01389_zpsf7d53h92.jpg

Fishing charters were to be had.....

DSC01391_zpspd427xd3.jpg

Downtown........ This is before it gets crowded next month.

DSC01395_zpsid19fgqf.jpg

Had a cool drink and watched some boats head out...

DSC01400_zpskxev6nuz.jpg

DSC01398_zpsxmji52nj.jpg

No shortage of wrecks around the Cape! :willynilly

DSC01410_zps8ilrmvmp.jpg

Made it out to the beach across from Wellfleet. Families were building bonfires, grilling lunch and the kids were having fun. Great to see this in America. :USA

DSC01411_zpsfssv4xc7.jpg

Man, was the water ever COLD!!

DSC01415_zpsrucdzup4.jpg

Finally we made a beeline for Hyannis and we tried a new reaturant to enjoy a drink to watch the boats, etc. Here's the car ferry coming in.

DSC01426_zpscmx5vuzn.jpg

"This place only rates a 3.2 out of 4 on TripAdvisor. I'm ready to head next door to Baxter's", Jenn said! I was right behind her!

This big fishing boat is docked right next to Baxter's and it had the 'cleanest' deck of any boats that we saw! The deck appears to have some sort of non-skid tiles on it and that makes a LOT of sense in an area where it gets sloppy.

DSC01429_zpsdbhmq6mm.jpg

Docked up at Baxter's........... and I don't even want to know what happened to # 1!! :hairraiser

DSC01430_zpscr7su5xr.jpg
    Okay, let's wrap this Trip Report up........

For our last full day (thurs) we decided to take the Mustang out for on last, top-down spin and we headed up to the north and west into the very old village of 'Sandwich'. That would be the last 'corner' of the cape for us to have seen.

We had seen in the guide book that we'd have to visit the Dexter's Grist Mill and it was right downtown! We parked the Mustang nearby and in front of this gorgeous old home.

DSC01432_zpsb2dqbfor.jpg

Another gorgeous day to be outside! The Mill uses water from a nearby lake to turn the big wheel which in turn, through wooden gears, turns a huge/heavy grinding stone inside.

DSC01433_zps6ri71udt.jpg

DSC01434_zpslitijjog.jpg

DSC01437_zpsi9qt8wns.jpg

Right outside the small mill, I saw this.... I instantly wondered how many hundreds of other boys had fished right there over the centuries! And yes, we saw many small bass in the clear waters!

DSC01438_zpsdfc0a4q3.jpg

"Now go on boys! You know you can't be fishing here when the mill is open!", I heard one of the caretakers say to the boys!!

The stones weight 3,000 pounds each and were imported from France. They can regulate the spacing in between the two stones to regulate how 'fine' they want the meal to come out.

DSC01441_zpsb0rimp0i.jpg

The dried kernals of corn fall down from the hopper and are regulated to spread the kernals around the bottom stone (located inside the brown, wooden box).

DSC01442_zpsyq3msntr.jpg

The speed of the big water wheel outside is regulated by this long lever as the USMC vet demonstrates.

DSC01443_zpsyaxv4ljk.jpg

Inside, this USN vet shows me how the wooden cogs and gears turn the vertically spinning water wheel into the horizontally spinning stone wheels! The ground stone meal slides down a chute where he carefully bags and weighs the meal.

DSC01444_zpsxo6irvgb.jpg

Yes, we bought a bag and it includes some Corn Meal recipes! My checked luggage weighed 20 lbs when we left FLL but weighed 28.5 lbs when we flew home! Six books, new fishing shoes and two pounds of corn meal! :willynilly

We left there and drove up and down a few locals streets where we saw this home for sale and it's on a historic Register. First built in 1675 on Nantucket! Read all about it and see the photos of the inside!

http://historichomescapecod.com/index.php/sandwich-village

DSC01445_zpsmgbeekei.jpg

There are a LOT of cemeteries in Cape Cod and the surrounding areas! But the Cape was a sea-faring community so many of the older house were owned by ship Captains. If you can 'expand' your screen to zoom in on these, do so. These were located right across the street from the house above. We were told that the headstones were usually facing away from the prevailing winds to protect the etchings.

DSC01446_zpshjsjmi68.jpg

Here lies Captain Moses Allen.

DSC01447_zpsbdxdtkbl.jpg

The 'Nye' family were well known on the Cape.

DSC01449_zps2plasfer.jpg

Here lies Stephen Fefsenden. The rusty star to the left seemed to indicate that he may have fought in the Revolutionary War.

DSC01451_zpspmynvgfb.jpg

We then took a tour through the 1675 home of the Reverend John Smith.

DSC01457_zpsbjnykeo7.jpg

The upstairs 'master bedroom'.

DSC01453_zpsof8ceotc.jpg

Downstairs with some of the typical 'machinery' of the day.

DSC01456_zpsyrmu0u8g.jpg

It was by then, 'Beer O'Clock' so we found a place outside overlooking Cape Cod Bay which is due north and west of the Cape.

Here's a work boat about to run in the north end of the Cape Cod Canal. This 7 mile long man-made canal actually cuts the Cape off from the mainland but it save boats and ships some 135 miles from not having to go around the Cape and over the top! It was started in 1909 and it's part of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway.

DSC01462_zpsiamsn8sv.jpg

And a USCG boat exiting out the north end.

DSC01463_zpszoijacer.jpg

On Friday, it was Check Out day so we made sure to do a few more things on the way out of town! First up was our third awesome breakfast out on the deck at the Keltic Kitchen!

7673408772_695a4ea59a.jpg

We had seen his unique place and it was only a short drive after breakfast! It actually is the front half of an old ship that blew up on shore many years ago in a storm. The Fish Market is to the right and the restaurant is to the left. We're sorry that we did not have dinner here.

DSC01471_zpskyhbfdol.jpg

DSC01468_zpsewrpa55g.jpg

The Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce (I think) sponsors an informal kind of competition where they will dump a pile of sand at your place of business and then various local artists will design and build something from the sand. Since last year, the owner of the above restaurant has built a protective awning overhead and now Captain Nick is protected from the wind and rain! We only saw a few of these completed as it was all just starting the week we were there. Fascinating and gorgeous!

DSC01469_zpscm4ziroz.jpg

We finally headed west and took a new, small road to pop in and say Hi to the nice folks at a Grady-White dealership right before we crossed the Cape Cod Canal.

I hope that you all enjoyed our week on the Cape! We had a BLAST! We've enjoyed previous vacations in Bar Harbor and Kennebunkport, Maine as well as a really fun cruise out of Boston last September so we plan to head to New England again next summer in early June to enjoy the cool temps and hopefully beat the summer crowds.

But, was 'this' vacation over and done with? Nope, not by a long shot!! We crammed more stuff into those last days on Friday-Saturday-Sunday, but that'll be a new Report........ once my fingers feel a bit better!!
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    thanks for the report, the pictures, the stories and the details. very much appreciated.

• KmonKmon Posts: 806 Officer
    NICE!!! Thanks for sharing. Now get your butt back here so we can go fishing.
  • edkedk Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Nice report. Brave of you to go to a restaurant called "Moby ****" in Provincetown ��
    edk wrote: »
    Nice report. Brave of you to go to a restaurant called "Moby ****" in Provincetown ��

Hehe......... we lucked out that Moby's was in Wellfleet!

Thanks guys.......... more fishing later on next month. One more little trip to knock off before that...... more boats, seafood, planes and beaches........ yeah some very 'special' beaches this time...... :machinegun
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,824 Admin
    Great report and pics, Gary - thanks!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Thanks......... I'll show you what happened on the last three days of this adventure! Three places that start with "New"!
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,824 Admin
    But one question - did you eat any whole fried Ipswich clams?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Did that only once a few years ago...... :puke

Clam Strips only from then on and we had some really good ones on the Cape.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Nice report and I am glad you and the missus enjoyed yourselves. I grew up on the Cape (So. Yarmouth and Bass River) and Martha's Vineyard, 50's, 60's and into the 70's. My family had a Summer beach house on Chappaquiddick (YES, where Ted Kennedy supposedly drove off the bridge.....he didn't, but that's a different story) Anyway, that incident called great attention to Chappy, which was serviced by just a 2-car ferry from Edgartown. It became a stiff PIA, waiting to go across, what with all the tourists and gawkers wanting to see the bridge, collect a piece of it, along with a bottle of sand and water. Then a few years later they filmed JAWS at the Chappaquiddick beach Club and that killed anything left of the tranquility that used to pervade the island, even in the "on" season.

I don't think my parents ever went back. In the Summer of 1986, I lived again in So. Yarmouth but commuted to Chatham to fish giant bluefins. We caught 11 giants that year, the year before the prices took the big jump from $4.25/lb. to $10.00/lb. in 1987. I remember being amazed at how the Cape had "grown up," in 15 years.
    .......Rick
    Thanks Rick! Nice insight on how it used to be!

:thumbsup

One of the books that I bought at that pink book shop was written by a woman, who as a young girl, survived an airline crash going into Nantucket on a foggy night in 1958......
  • inshoreinshore Posts: 257 Deckhand
    It's hard being you GMon! As usual, great write up and pics.
    inshore wrote: »
    It's hard being you GMon! As usual, great write up and pics.

Thanks Mon......... now get down to Key Largo and let's go fishing soon!

(PS: I have another surprise Report coming...... something about the English Channel! :hairraiser)
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,174 Officer
    Great report and photos as always
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,471 AG
    Very nice trip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Thanks Flash........ Hope you liked the old Mill part.........

I got my bag of freshly ground corn meal home and it included a few recipes, so I will have to get busy in the kitchen. I'd like to try it on some fish but I may have to make it a bit 'finer' for that......

Thanks for the comments guys....... it was a very fun trip that I'd Rec to anyone!
  • firemedic1560firemedic1560 Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Looks like you guys had a blast! I would like to see that area someday. Closest we have come is Boston. One of the kids that Marissa went to water polo camp with has a family house out on the Cape somewhere. I'll let you know when the new sled is up and running!
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    Thanks Gary
    Just what I needed for my trip to
    Cape Cod next year.
    Was planning a July date.
    But will move it to June.
    Will be a good trip there with my son.

Thx
    Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
    SeaSpy wrote: »
    Was planning a July date.
    But will move it to June.

Find out the normal time for when Mass schools let out. Apparently, if they miss any days for snow in the winter, they add them on at the end of the year. Try to time it to be there the week before they get out or the week that they let out. The Guide Book we bough kept talking about 'crowds in July and August'.

Here's the book that saved us a lot of time and money!

$_35.JPG
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Gary M wrote: »
    Find out the normal time for when Mass schools let out. Apparently, if they miss any days for snow in the winter, they add them on at the end of the year. Try to time it to be there the week before they get out or the week that they let out. The Guide Book we bough kept talking about 'crowds in July and August'.

Here's the book that saved us a lot of time and money!

$_35.JPG

It used to be that the Cape and Islands "opened up" on Memorial Day weekend....then shut down on Labor Day. But I would have thought that would have changed a lot, seeing as there are a lot more full time residents in all three locales now.

Way back in the 70's (I believe) a bar on Cape Cod was the very first to be sued by a drunk driver, for them having served him his last drink before he was caught or maybe he had an accident...I don't remember, but he won the case. We all know that this action has been repeated, perhaps hundreds of times since then.

So even as far back as 1986, the bars were still extremely paranoid about anybody who looked like they were "having too much fun." I met 3 ladies from Canada, who were on the Cape for vacation. We strolled into a restaurant for brunch at about 11 AM one morning and were refused service from the bar (bloody marys) because we were laughing and joking as we walked into the place. Hadn't had a drop to drink between us, before entering, but still......

Just wondering if things were still the same there.
    .......Rick
    Although we enjoyed many 'docktails' at many places during our visit, we never saw anyone drunk and we were careful to enjoy some drinks and then have dinner.

It really was not crowded at all everywhere we went but we did see the beginnings of a possible 'incident' at the bar at Baxter's (we were sitting nearby) where a 'festive' guy may or may not have said something inappropriate about a female there. It was quickly de-fused. That was the limit to that kind of excitement!

One thing that we found strange was that all along Hwy28 near Hyannis was the large number of Mini-golf places there were! Obviously that's for the kids so that would be a wise indication to NOT be there during the heart of school holidays!

We loved that entire area........ all the way to Newport and New London on the way home! That three-day adventure (posted here) was the icing on the cake of a great vacation!
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Thank you for the nice report, looks like you had a great time.

I liked the numerous boats you displayed, specially the 31 Bertram- Don Q. I wonder if it was named after Don Quijote.
    I can see that beauty taking many quixotic adventures at sea.

On the other hand, it could have been named under the influence of my favorite rum, DonQ.

Thx