Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

fishing next to beach... kinda fun. PC, 7/16

Took my nephew, FIL and wife today. Ran a few miles, and had a GREAT time. Low expectations is when you get to enjoy yourself. Left at a reasonable hour amidst some thunder. BOUGHT bait. Fished one spot on the hook about 9 miles out and got, 7-8 beeliners, 12 white snappers or so, 5 small kings, 4 bonitis, maybe 7-8 small dolphin, one nice lane snapper.

Neatest part was a fine sailfish. I've got some vid, but no pic. Need wife to help with video. We all decided not to kill, so I put some REAL heat on him (as much as I could, anyway with small king gear ) and he fatigued the 29# single strand. Got some cool jumps though. Large sail.

At the island by lunch. Sent nephew back home with enough for a good fish fry.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,801 Moderator
    Btw... inshote triggers (at least spot we sat on ) were insane! Glad to see a rebound, but enough is enough. If two years of regs can bring em back that quickly, then there is ZERO threat of putting them in a bad spot!

Granted, I'll give a trigger more grace than a snapper, but I'd say insurer inshore trg stock in about 85% wide open!
    Only pic worth a darn. Screen shot from her video.

Neat deal. Probably a 45# fish. Wish we could have billed it, but we got the best part and fish swam off real green and clean.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,124 Captain
    Good eats & good times!!
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    PH... What are you saying about triggers?
    Here's how you turn a real quick trip into a decent meal. ...

Have more pictures to post, but FS won't let me upload from phone. An emailed thread also won't show thatpics on Facebook to non registered viewers. Not sure if I get that strategy.
    Split Shot wrote: »
    PH... What are you saying about triggers?

That IMO its a stock slower to respond to regs than some fish; also known as slower breeders that only flourish on healthy bottom.

That being said, they deserve some protection I think. Especially once they got hammered / "discovered" for about a decade when snapper regs got silly.

Take a **** rabbit breeding fish (snapper ) that's easy to catch, tastes okay and looks real pretty. That's BREAD and BUTTER for EVERYBODY. Shut them down then folks go from slash pine to live oak.

Anyway. Was just saying that even the live oak have responded in quick fashion. Inshore covered up in em.. bad.

I only fished one spot, but pulled cigars over other inshore stuff between 8-9 miles out and marked them on every piece of head boat bottom.

Glad they've made a rebound. Just sick of being told what to keep , when and how. So so so many fish being killed these days yet many folks can't bring home a fish dinner.

I think the answer is 6-7 reef fish per person. Problem is, you'd need honest b anglers. They used to be the majority. No longer. Mismanagement has left so many people so frustrated, you'd see culling like nobody's business. All over reaction post law nonsense. It would ensue.

Granyed, I'm venting NOAA more so than fwc.

Just frustrating to watch anglers pound what's legal for 2-3years, it shuts down, the other ONE fish gets it next, etc. Crazy.

I consider humans to be an apex predator. What does a shark do? Fills his gut with what's available and quits. Pretty sure most anglers would do the same. Fine us all a handful of reef fish / head, and we'd be happy.

Nature would take care of what fish flourish / decline / rebound. And when.

Let us be opportunistic. Cap off pounds, or # of fish. I support limits. Limit by species just dumb.

I'd prefer one year on and one year off. Or even 25% gulf as sanctuary. Of course they'd grab the 25% most fruitful. But maybe leave half most productive dwath open and other half closed?

Tired and fat and posting from phone. Just know that things could be better managemeny
    t wise.
    I think that they should implement a point system. This would include one of any fish = 100 points. ARS would be 50, grouper 50, grey snapper 25, trigger 30 etc. Watching fish float off the stern is ridiculous.
    BTW nice sail pic!
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I think that they should implement a point system. This would include one of any fish = 100 points. ARS would be 50, grouper 50, grey snapper 25, trigger 30 etc. Watching fish float off the stern is ridiculous.

Gotta do something different.

We pulled up behind where a head boat had been a couple weeks ago... No fewer than 40-50 snapper floating in about a quarter mile line. Not sure if they were shorts, Or if descend was culling. About 125' of water. I suspect tourist cranks one up and then stands there with dangling short for 30 sec to a minute. Fish losers vigor, deck hand comes by and flips bloated and now tired snapper into water.
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Very nice little trip. That's the kind of trip I was wanting a couple of weeks ago when we took my granddaughter & niece out for a few hours for their first trip. But, things didn't work out near as well as your short trip. :)

What did you find the dolphin on?

AWESOME sail!!! And cool photo. Can't wait to see the video......you need to post it. What did you catch it on? You're h*** on the sails this summer. Having never caught one before & now with 2 in the last month. Congrats!

Livin' the Dream !
    Yeah, kinda funny how things work.

Zero Wahoo this year. Past 5-6 years I'd averaged probably 1.5 / 10+ hr trip. Previous sail was not huge surprise... was weedline pretty far offshore. This Sat was more fun. Was on anchor with beach easily seen on horizon. Fish took a live minnow on flat line.

Dolphin came off log that I really wish was far offshore. Was verticle and OLD abd huge. I thought for sure it would have co cobes all over it. approached carefully and flipped live baits and jigs. No ling. Dolphins rose up, so we got few of them and called it quits for day.