Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Noise when rotor nut is tightened? (Spinning reel)

My spinning reel (Daiwa D Shock 2500-B) is making a very loud noise when I'm reeling (it sounds and feels as if something is rubbing on the inside), but when I loosen the rotor nut, the sound goes away. But with the rotor nut this loose, the rotor itself wiggles and I wouldn't want that. There's nothing wrong with the reel, no rust or corrosion, so I don't understand what could be causing this. I have lubed THE HELL out of the reel and still nothing. Any ideas for a solution?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,961 Captain
    Most reels have one or more bearings that support the pinion gear and allow it to turn silently and smoothly.... Yours is probably bad and needs replacing (once a bearing goes bad no amount of lube will improve it - when it gets bad enough you won't be able to turn the rotor with the handle -and many ruin their gears trying to "loosen it up" by turning the handle against bad bearings....). Your best bet it take your reel to a repairman with a good reputation (many local tackle shops have first rate repair guys....) and have it sorted out. There is a possibility that something else is causing the problem -but the only way you'll find out is to take it apart (and you'd better have a schematic on hand for that particular model before you tear it apart). I've been repairing my own and my customer's gear for many years and each reel has a unique set of problems (if it's not just a bearing). Good luck, and post up how it works out...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    You can get the same reel new at surplusfishingtackle.com for $10, which will most likely be cheaper than a diagnostic charge at any reel repair facility.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,008 Moderator
    Like ccrider says, a D Shock is a very inexpensive reel and not worth the diagnostic charge you will incur if you take it to a shop. Better to go to the shop and purchase a new one.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,008 Moderator
    Like ccrider says, a D Shock is a very inexpensive reel and not worth the diagnostic charge you will incur if you take it to a shop. Better to go to the shop and purchase a new one. Rod and reel combo at Wal Mart is $20