Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Cooking Pork Butts "Fast"

Tried Flash's method of cooking pork butts -- worked great !! Entire cook was at 300 degrees -- indirect cooking on a green egg. First two hours injected and rubbed pork butt was smoked using chunks of pecan. At the end of two hours, internal butt temperature was 146 degrees -- removed from grill and double wrapped in foil - then placed back on the egg. One and a half hours later the internal reached 210 degrees. Removed and placed in a cooler for 45 minutes. Removed -- pulled or shredded and served. As good as i have ever had !!! Thanks Flash...............

Replies

• rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Nice. What rub did you use? Don't see much bark in the picture. Bark gives you more flavor,but I don't care for it very much. I've been playing around with Byron's Butt Rub adding cummin and different ground peppers. Thanks for the info.
    :thumbsup:Rockon
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    I injected the butt with Lawry's Tariaki Marinade -- also coated the outside with the same marinade -- then lightly applied Bryon's Bad Boy Butt Rub. Entire cook was at 300 degrees. I watched how fast the internal climbed with the double wrapped tin foil on it -- about one degree increase every one and a half minutes! The liquid inside the foil was thick and "beefy" tasting --very good and 4 1/2 hours.............. Now i only used two pieces of pecan for smoking, so it really only smoked the first hour -- we don't like the heavy smoke taste. Of course the fast cook is going to cut back on the "smoke ring" too.. Myron Mixon cooks his compitition pork this way...
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    [QUOTE As good as i have ever had !!! Thanks Flash...............[/QUOTE]
    Where is this recipe?
    I cooked another one Sunday on a rotissorie that came out pretty good. Indirect heat from hickory about 3 1/2 hours, wrapped and placed in a cooler for an hour, (was in a hurry to eat) and then sliced. Didn't quite make it to the pulling stage. Guess I needed more cooking time or more time in the cooler?
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
    I injected the butt with Lawry's Tariaki Marinade -- also coated the outside with the same marinade -- then lightly applied Bryon's Bad Boy Butt Rub. Entire cook was at 300 degrees. I watched how fast the internal climbed with the double wrapped tin foil on it -- about one degree increase every one and a half minutes! The liquid inside the foil was thick and "beefy" tasting --very good and 4 1/2 hours.............. Now i only used two pieces of pecan for smoking, so it really only smoked the first hour -- we don't like the heavy smoke taste. Of course the fast cook is going to cut back on the "smoke ring" too.. Myron Mixon cooks his compitition pork this way...

Thanks for the info. Never used Lawry's Tariaki before. Sounds good though. I've actually met Myron at TSC in Macon GA. He happened to be coming through and stopped at Tractor Supply to pick up a few things for his competion cook trailer. I happened to be there at the time he drove up. He's one of the best. I'll have to give the fast smoke and wrap a try.
    Native Floridian: The only thing to determine your finish time -- IS TEMPERATURE. You need to invest in a device to tell you what the internal temperature is before pulling your meat off the grill.

rbrickle : I am supposed attend Myron's class in Georgia in March 2012. I know the guy who preps and cooks much of Myron's food at his compititions. Myron believes in cooking at higher temperatures - and it seems to work. I plan on trying this again to make sure this can be duplicated................
  • tfranko29tfranko29 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    When I use my fast 4 hour butt method, we usually can't wait to eat it, try this; don't rest it in a cooler. If the internal temp is at 208 F, it's tender for sure and ready to be pulled. I've tried to rest it in a cooler and I can't tell a difference between the 2 methods.
    Native Floridian: The only thing to determine your finish time -- IS TEMPERATURE. You need to invest in a device to tell you what the internal temperature is before pulling your meat off the grill.

rbrickle : I am supposed attend Myron's class in Georgia in March 2012. I know the guy who preps and cooks much of Myron's food at his compititions. Myron believes in cooking at higher temperatures - and it seems to work. I plan on trying this again to make sure this can be duplicated................

Sounds great. I may check out his web site and check on that class.
    :thumbsup
    Fronco,

When i took the double wrapped butt off the grill at 210 degrees the liquid inside the foil was abut three quarters full -- 45 minutes in the cooler -- when i went to pull it, this level was 1/4 full. So that tells me that liquid went back in the meat. I never used to "rest" my food coming off the grill -- it was always "get it to the table while it's hot!!" .. I have been allowing it to "rest" for the last six months and i think it makes a difference - yes, the food cools off somewhat, but the flavor and juices are back into the meat.. Most professional grillers will tell you "your Que ain't worth a **** if you don't let it rest"..............
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Sounds good, although I would opt for a lower starting temp, just to give it more time in the smoke and better bark. Still, if you are in a hurry, you find it does not hurt to speed it up with higher temps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • QuailhunterQuailhunter Posts: 173 Deckhand
    I did an 8lb and 7 lb butts Friday night into Staurday at a low slow smoke but I injected the meat about 4 hours before I put them on with apple juice, sugar and salt. Took them off the smoker about one and straight into a cooler until we ate around 6:30. I went to take them out of foil and they would not stay together. Everyone raved that is was the best pulled pork they ever had. I love to do low and slow but I will try this method and see how it turns out
    I'm gonna resist temptation and rest it next time.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,982 Captain
    Anyone ever do a honey glaze on a butt?

I'll tell you guys how it turns out about 5:00
    I do a honey glazed ham, but never tried a pork butt ??
    That crispy piece just right of the temperature gauge needs to be removed
    could you fax it over to my house ??:hungry
    That crispy piece just right of the temperature gauge needs to be removed
    could you fax it over to my house ??:hungry
    Way ahead of you, that chunk is gone!:full

It's 170 and after gettin shot up with more creole butter its back in the redneck smoker at 300
    Tried to slice it but it just fell apart, I'll just call it "mangled pork"
    So how do you guys like to eat your pork when it's done? Of course other than just mowing it down plain. In sandwiches? with dill pickles on the sandwiches? Mustard? too.
    I'm getting hungry looking at that pan of meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a simple Black Bean recipe that you serve over rice and it's one of those meals you look ahead to more than a nice steak !!!
    It's interesting that the more we learn to do with pork and other less expensive meats...the more steak is not on our menus. I was at Costco last week and they have nice prices...but I just can't justify the price per pound. Not that I NEVER eat steak, I just would rather have the flavor and tenderness of pork now.
    Hey Charlie...wanna share that Black Bean recipe? It would be much appreciated.
    This is easy and a meal in it's self ---- but goes "hand in hand" with pulled pork.

Black Beans and Rice

1 1/2 Heads of garlic(i use two whole heads) finely chopped
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1 medium to large onion - chopped
    1 green pepper - chopped
    1 red or yellow pepper - chopped
    3 cans black beans(unseasoned) undrained
    1 packet of Goya's seasoning (orange package)
    1 can beef broth

Saute in the oil - the garlic,onion,peppers until soft. Add balance and bring to a boil. Then allow to simmer for one hour.
    Serve over white rice, with your pulled pork on the side..............
    Easy enough that you can even have a few beers without screwing it up !!
    I agree 100 percent ! I have taken up cooking as a hobby and in four years mastered the art of shopping. I know my prices and we eat around sale items. And as the prices are really on the increase, it's gotten to the point that if it isn't "on sale" i just don't buy it !! You really have to be careful, or you get ripped off. I think it intentionally done. Winn-Dixie had a price on lemons the other day --- $1.29 EACH --- the produce lady was there so i asked her if this was really "EACH" or was it "3 for $1.29" -- she kind of glared at me and said "NO! THAT'S EACH!" .... Well, a few days later, their lemon price was $.69 each??? Yesterday i was in a store that had pork butts "on sale" for $1.59 a pound. I wasn't buying any but naturally just took a look at the quality, which was good, but noticed the price was high. A closer look and i saw they were labelled "pork ribs" and were priced at $2.89 a pound. I called it to the butchers attention and he corrected the situation. Now we eat steak about once every two weeks. And we eat pretty darn good at the meals in between. I see people shopping and just grab this and that without a care about prices???
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    I agree 100 percent ! I have taken up cooking as a hobby and in four years mastered the art of shopping. I know my prices and we eat around sale items. And as the prices are really on the increase, it's gotten to the point that if it isn't "on sale" i just don't buy it !! You really have to be careful, or you get ripped off. I think it intentionally done. Winn-Dixie had a price on lemons the other day --- $1.29 EACH --- the produce lady was there so i asked her if this was really "EACH" or was it "3 for $1.29" -- she kind of glared at me and said "NO! THAT'S EACH!" .... Well, a few days later, their lemon price was $.69 each??? Yesterday i was in a store that had pork butts "on sale" for $1.59 a pound. I wasn't buying any but naturally just took a look at the quality, which was good, but noticed the price was high. A closer look and i saw they were labelled "pork ribs" and were priced at $2.89 a pound. I called it to the butchers attention and he corrected the situation. Now we eat steak about once every two weeks. And we eat pretty darn good at the meals in between. I see people shopping and just grab this and that without a care about prices???

Charlie T, good thread! Thanks for the info.

I'm with you on the shopping deal!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Thanks for the bean recipe, is that a Cuban recipe?
    No! I am an American. But maybe using the Goya product makes it Cuban?:hungry There are hundreds of Black Bean recipes --- i started with a Cuban's recipe i tasted at a Christmas party and doctored it up. It's easy and liked by all that tried it !
    We're nuts about Goya and Badia spices and seasonings. Our cupboards are full of many different spices from both companies.
    Now how about Goya ADOBO ALL purpose seasoning ??? And i do use the Goya brand black beans too... OK -- it's a Cuban recipe !!!!:hairraiser
    I did another test "Fast Cook Butt" using the above method. It came out a little salty and i think it was because i injected too much Tariaki marinate in it. It's good for me, but for someone who doesn't salt their food, it might be too salty. Thats my downfall --- find something good and then overdo it !!! I also finished this cook a couple of nights ago, allowed it to rest in a cooler and then put it in the refrigerator for two days. Yesterday i returned it to the grill and heated it up for supper --- the moisture and texture was just as if it came off the grill when fist cooked ---- so this would work for pre-cooking for an event -- just heat it up "on site".................
  • caldnsikcaldnsik Posts: 95 Deckhand
    I usually do my Picnics/Butts on the smoker at 250 with apple and hickory for about 3.5 hours then foil and into the oven at 350-375 for an additional 3 hours. They turn out killer.

For an awesome finishing sauce combine these ingredients in a pan and heat it up to dissolve sugar. This makes just enough for one 8-10 lb butt.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp coarse black pepper
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 tsp Tony Cachere's Cajun Seasoning.

Pull the pork and pour all over it then enjoy the hell out of it!!
    Flash i know has seen this. Its pretty standard over at SMF.
    "Beer is not a matter of life or death, It is much more important than that!!!"