Shimano quality control

WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
Is it me or Shimano needs to step up on QC ? This year alone I've purchased one Sustaim FG 4000 after fishing with the first time I've found that there was something wrong as i retrieve the line the I noticed that the spool was moving side to side so I remove the spool and found the nut on the shaft was not tighten down so I tighten it down and all was good . Then I bought a 3000 Sustain FG and fished it the first time and it was not as smooth as my 4000 , so I had it checked out and found the line rooler bearing was defective and had it replace , I still don't think it's a good as my 4000 after it was service . Then I bought the Stella 3000 FI on August everything was good love this reel nothing comes close to it , then today I was at home putting on a new leader before I go out fishing then as I was reeling in my line **** bolt holding the line roller bearing came flying off with the bearing and also the shim . I did find the shim and the bearing but lost the bolt holding it together **** I'm so upset I pay top dollar for these reels and all im having is problems . Anyone else is having the same issue as me ? My 3000 CI4 + is ok and also I'm not having any issue with my Daiwa Ballistic 3000 and I beat the hell out of those reels cause they are my loaner reels for family members to us and abuse.

Replies

• WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Wonder wrote: »
    Is it me or Shimano needs to step up on QC ? This year alone I've purchased one Sustaim FG 4000 after fishing with the first time I've found that there was something wrong as i retrieve the line the I noticed that the spool was moving side to side so I remove the spool and found the nut on the shaft was not tighten down so I tighten it down and all was good . Then I bought a 3000 Sustain FG and fished it the first time and it was not as smooth as my 4000 , so I had it checked out and found the line rooler bearing was defective and had it replace , I still don't think it's a good as my 4000 after it was service . Then I bought the Stella 3000 FI on August everything was good love this reel nothing comes close to it , then today I was at home putting on a new leader before I go out fishing then as I was reeling in my line **** bolt holding the line roller bearing came flying off with the bearing and also the shim . I did find the shim and the bearing but lost the bolt holding it together **** I'm so upset I pay top dollar for these reels and all im having is problems . Anyone else is having the same issue as me ? My 3000 CI4 + is ok and also I'm not having any issue with my Daiwa Ballistic 3000 and I beat the hell out of those reels cause they are my loaner reels for family members to us and abuse.

I'm going to Tampa fishing outfitter tomorrow and hope they can help me out I buy all my stuff from them and also all those reels I'll keep you guys up to date
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 163 Deckhand
    I have bought a lot of Shimano over the years, Stellas, Tiagras, Torsas, almost the entire line of saltwater reels, many G/ Loomis rods and bicycle equipment (XTR), clothing, tackle and gear. For whatever it's worth, I'm done with everything ****mano. They are not standing behind their products like they used to.
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    I personally have not heard of any line roller issues with the Stella FI. To be honest I am surprised that you had a failure like you have described. It is not normal for the screw to simply fall out. We will certainly repair the reel and try to determine what caused the failure. We take all issues seriously and try to prevent any further issues.

As far as the Sustain issues. Please send the reels in for diagnosis and repair. I would feel much better having one of our technicians take a look at the reel to determine what is going on.

Profinity- We stand behind our products 100%. What happened for you to say that we no longer stand behind the products? I can pass you along to someone in the bike department if you want to discuss your issues on that side.
    bantam1 wrote: »
    I personally have not heard of any line roller issues with the Stella FI. To be honest I am surprised that you had a failure like you have described. It is not normal for the screw to simply fall out. We will certainly repair the reel and try to determine what caused the failure. We take all issues seriously and try to prevent any further issues.

As far as the Sustain issues. Please send the reels in for diagnosis and repair. I would feel much better having one of our technicians take a look at the reel to determine what is going on.

Profinity- We stand behind our products 100%. What happened for you to say that we no longer stand behind the products? I can pass you along to someone in the bike department if you want to discuss your issues on that side.

I can't send the sustains in right now because my Stella is still in repair and have been for two weeks so what do you want me to do send all my reels in and not fish ? I don't even know when if I will get my Stella back the guys at Tampa fishing outfitters is trying thier best to get me back on the water with my reel, but I should not even be in this position in the first place . Also thank you for the prom response I know you where on vacation .
    I just what to go fishing with the best that is what Stella is to me and was also ready to buy one more 3000 and 4000 , but this makes me think twice . I don't mean to be aggressive , but when you spent this much money on a reel you should not have this issue . Stella is the pinnacle of spinning reels that's why I bought it ! And not many ppl can say they have fished with a Stella .
    You could have sent the Stella to us for service. They have a 48 hour turn around time.

Reels are still made by humans and we are not perfect. This is why the reels come with a warranty. Once you get your Stella back send the Sustain in so we can take a look at it. I want to make sure you are satisfied with our product and our service.
  • RudefishRudefish Posts: 148 Officer
    I have had a few issues with my saros reels, but my Spheros, Saragosa SW, THunnus and Stradic Ci4 have been pretty bullet proof. If there is an issue, I send them back to Shimano in CA and they are repaired pretty quick!
    You could have sent the Stella to us for service. They have a 48 hour turn around time.

Reels are still made by humans and we are not perfect. This is why the reels come with a warranty. Once you get your Stella back send the Sustain in so we can take a look at it. I want to make sure you are satisfied with our product and our service.

So how do I go about sending the sustain in for repairs ? Already got my Stella back took over a month was waiting for parts finaly the Shimano rep got involve so he overnighted the parts .
    Bantam- it has been a while since I have checked in here.

I own a lot of Shimano gear. I have bought Shimano for about 20 years. The reason I stopped buying Penn products is because, in my opinion, Shimano was a superior product. Now the reasons I am disgruntled with Shimano...

The Stellas I bought 6-10 years ago are not supported by Shimano. I take care of my gear. My gear is maintained and without corrosion. However, I had a sticky drag on a Stella 4000 and sent it to Shimano, thinking I had platinum service. Instead the reel was returned to me, with no explanation and untouched. Not even the courtesy of putting a note in the return box. This is what Shimano calls platinum service? I sent the reel to a gentleman in California (Alan Tani). He fixed it. What does this say about Shimano?

The Shimano rods I bought have a lifetime warranty. This is a significant reason I bought them, along with liking the rods. Now I am informed there is no more lifetime warranty on Shimano rods. I have not broken a Shimano rod and to date have never required a replacement. However, I feel I was baited and switched. Shimano threw many loyal guides I know off their guide program shortly after they took over Loomis. This demonstrates their attitude towards US in my opinion and I don't like it. Now Loomis no longer has a lifetime warranty. I also have never had a Loois rod replaced and I own dozens of Loomis rods. For the money Shimano is wanting for its products the consumer is getting less and less. As a consumer who has spent significant money on Shimano products, many thousands of dollars, I feel betrayed and therefore am now talking with my wallet. I know quite a few people who are avid fisherman and who have and spend significant money and are also unhappy with Shimano. The reality is, Shimano is pissing off a lot of people and are losing significant sales. The company may still be very profitable from riding on what was a fine reputation, however, read the proverbial writing on the wall.

I have no present issue with my bike equipment, although, I did not buy Shimano XTR which I would have done on my last bike build.

I hope this information is taken constructively and that Shimano gets their Shimano together.
    Profinity,

There definitely was an issue with the Stella not being serviced, or at least you should have received a phone call. We have made several changes over the past few months to improve the parts availability for the older model reels. I will pass your complaint along to the repair supervisor and customer service manager.

For your rods: The rods you have in your possession are still covered by the lifetime warranty. We did not change the warranty on rods that were covered. This change is only for new rods manufactured in July 2014 to present. We have also added the new service programs which I posted on this forum several weeks ago. There was no bait and switch. I feel that the warranty change was not explained well. I did try to explain it on this forum when the changes were made last year.

G.Loomis still has a lifetime warranty. That has not changed and I am not sure where you read that it did.

I have forwarded your comments to everyone that needed to see this.

B1
    Bantam1- Your response is appreciated. No offense to you personally, however, it's going to take more than words to earn my business back. Shimano has burned me.

A fishing buddy told me he sent Loomis a rod, about a year ago, expecting it to be replaced and was told he would have to purchase a new rod. I don't know the entire circumstance. His claim is it broke. Loomis/Shimano's claim was he broke it. The policy has apparently changed where years ago this was not an issue. He told me he once broke the tip on a rod and Loomis told him to break the rod in half, so it would be easy to return/ship it back to them. They replaced his rod. To date, I have not needed a rod replaced. Although I take care of my equipment, it is comforting knowing their is or was someone standing behind it.

The unfortunate disposition that Shimano has taken in the past few or so years has turned many folks off and away from the brand. They need to do something, particularly change their attitude, if they want customers to remain loyal. I'm not looking for anything for free, however, it's going to require something more than than it's getting better for my return.
    The rod inspector at G.Loomis has been in the position for 27 years. She is very good at determining if a failure was due to a defect in the materials or from manufacturing. I stand behind her 100% if she says the failure was not warranty related. I'm not sure how the conversation went with your friend, but if he has an issue he can certainly contact us.

The warranty on Shimano and G.Loomis rods is not an unconditional, no questions asked warranty. It covers against material and manufacturing defects only. In situations like that you can use the G.Loomis Xpeditor or Shimano Express to replace the rods.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Not to jump on the bandwagon but I have a Shimano Sustain FG 3000 that has never been right. I want to get it fixed but since I've never sent a Shimano off for repair and I'm new to south FL, I'm not sure where to take it or how to go about it.

I bought it at Bass Pro after returning a Stradic C4i+ last summer. I didn't notice it in the store but when I got the Stradic home I could hear some rubbing. It was obviosuly not under a load at the time. I tried to exchange it but they didn't have another one at the time and I needed a reel for a trip the next day so I upgraded to the Sustain. It was the same story when I got the Sustain home but I convinced myself I was being too picky and just kept it.

Now, 8 months later it's worse and you can feel it when fishing too. I think the spool shaft must be rubbing on something. It was like this out of the box but a little worse now.

For the record, my cheaper Sedona and Saros reels have had no issues. I'm about to buy either two Accurate or Shimano Talica II reels so I hope Shimano demonstrates some good customer service here before I drop a grand on two more reels.

So how do I go about getting this fixed?
    I suggest sending the reel directly to us for repair. Make sure you include a copy of the receipt with the repair form:

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/service-centre.html
  • Shore Catch FishingShore Catch Fishing Posts: 127 Officer
    Well my 2 stradic's didn't even make it a full year. Even with diligent care. I dont' have the receipts. What am I looking at for 2 rebuilds aprx?
    We charge $25 per reel for service. I doubt they need full rebuilds. More than likely one or two bearings and a good clean and service.
  • Shore Catch FishingShore Catch Fishing Posts: 127 Officer
    We charge $25 per reel for service. I doubt they need full rebuilds. More than likely one or two bearings and a good clean and service.

Thanks for the quick reply. Refreshing these days.
    I try to be quick but there are times were I cant respond due to work travel.
    This is all BS. I needed a reel clamp with the bolts for a Tiagra 30 WLRS. I called ****mano this past week and was again informed they have no parts and do not support my model Tiagra anymore. They still manufacture the Tiagra and it still looks exactly the same as my model.

Folks beware. ****mano does not support their products after a handful of years. This is highly insulting having spent tens of thousands on what I perceived to be quality. I don't care how good your reels or equipment functions because your stuff is only as good as the people standing behind it for support. This means service and repair. I do not appreciate being informed to check with reel repair shops who might have what I am looking for. This treatment on a $50-$100 reel after five years I can accept that, not with a $600+ reel.

I have serious issue with any company that fails to stand behind their products and the amount of time is almost irrelevant. Furuno Electronics for example will service a 20 year old device without any BS. Garmin like ****mano does not service their products after a handful of years. Penn reels will service a 30+ year old reel without any BS.

I suspect ****mano is one day going to regret engaging such philosophy. You Shimano reps can defend the company all you want. Remember my post when you are looking for a job. When the general public understands you are leaving them without any support/service, your reign is over.

You f'ers lost me as a customer and I will continue to do my best to inform every person who is willing to listen.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,719 Captain
    Profinity,

We have made several changes over the past few months to improve the parts availability for the older model reels.

Can you elaborate? I have 8 Stellas that are 5 to 10 years old. The one time I needed a repair, parts were a problem. Heck, I was told that drag washers weren't even available. Lack of parts availability on $1,000 reel is a problem to me and a change in Shimino's policy would be very well recieved.
  • 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    PROFINITY wrote: »
    This is all BS. I needed a reel clamp with the bolts for a Tiagra 30 WLRS. I called ****mano this past week and was again informed they have no parts and do not support my model Tiagra anymore. They still manufacture the Tiagra and it still looks exactly the same as my model.

Folks beware. ****mano does not support their products after a handful of years. This is highly insulting having spent tens of thousands on what I perceived to be quality. I don't care how good your reels or equipment functions because your stuff is only as good as the people standing behind it for support. This means service and repair. I do not appreciate being informed to check with reel repair shops who might have what I am looking for. This treatment on a $50-$100 reel after five years I can accept that, not with a $600+ reel.

I have serious issue with any company that fails to stand behind their products and the amount of time is almost irrelevant. Furuno Electronics for example will service a 20 year old device without any BS. Garmin like ****mano does not service their products after a handful of years. Penn reels will service a 30+ year old reel without any BS.

I suspect ****mano is one day going to regret engaging such philosophy. You Shimano reps can defend the company all you want. Remember my post when you are looking for a job. When the general public understands you are leaving them without any support/service, your reign is over.

You f'ers lost me as a customer and I will continue to do my best to inform every person who is willing to listen.

AMEN!
    We still have clamp parts for all of the Tiagra models. I am not sure why they told you we didn't. Some of the parts are currently on backorder but they are all available. One of the part numbers has been discontinued but only because there is now a master part number for it. The parts are still available. If you need immediate help obtaining these parts shoot me a PM and I will dig some up.

We still service all of the Tiagra models. We have made several changes going forward to maintain parts for longer than we ever used to. We have heard the complaints and are making changes to assist our customers. It will be a long process but changes are being made.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 559 Officer
    Thought I'd jump on here. I have four Stradic 5000Fj's that have caught a lot of fish, and I maintain them regularly. Every one of the reel's roller bearings failed after a year or so. Cheap replacement, but with regular lubrication this shouldn't happen. Also loose nuts under the spool. What happened to the bullet proof reels of yesteryear? By the way I have all Shimano on my bikes (Durace and Tiagra) with a lot of miles and they do the job in fine fashion. Too bad the reels don't compare.
  • yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 129 Deckhand
    I've also had those roller bearings wear out on me. I have two Stradic 4000FJs purchased in the last 18 months and both have needed new roller bearings despite thorough rinsing and regular lubrication. As you say, they are easy and cheap to fix, but this is an obvious problem with these reels. They perform well otherwise.
  • Maverick1Maverick1 Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Wow......I've had the same problem with my FJ,s.....replaced 4 sets so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Having been a Shimano user/fan for 20 plus years I have noticed a definite Decline in Quality

my $400 New Sustains wobbled horribly I have sold all my Sustains 11 in total

I'll never buy another Sustain

My Stella's appear to have have much better QC
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You