Home Fly Fishing

Just geting started with the fly.. basic question

rehartlinerehartline Posts: 800 Officer
I just got my first fly rod and want to go find out what this is all about. I have what is probably the most basic of questions. What knots do you typically tie the leader on with and the fly on with? I know it's got to be prettier than what I do with my spinning setups.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,167 AG
    Leader to fly line - nail knot or use a loop-to-loop system. Plenty of examples if you Google it.

You can buy a tapered leader (knotless), or tie your own using blood, uni-uni, etc.

You can tie on your fly with the same knot you prefer for regular fishing - clinch/uni/non-slip loop.

My setup for redfishing is a looped-on tapered leader (butt to fly line), most flies are tied on using a uni.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I suggest going to the nearest fly shop. I've never been in one (fly shop) that refused to help a newbie with his/her setup!
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I'll second the loop to loop for fly line to leader, it seems to transfer energy and roll over better than any others (nail etc.). As mentioned above just google it, but I simply take 10lb mono and nail knot the loop in the fly line then put a tiny bead of epoxy over the nail knot. All you have to do after that is put a loop of choice in the leader and connect em together.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,373 Captain
    rehartline wrote: »
    I just got my first fly rod and want to go find out what this is all about. I have what is probably the most basic of questions. What knots do you typically tie the leader on with and the fly on with? I know it's got to be prettier than what I do with my spinning setups.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

You're in Orlando. Go see Chris at Orlando outfitters, he'll walk you through everything you need to know. I use countless different leader configurations for many different situations. If you have the time, and can make the drive, this Saturday after our tying class I'll be going over pretty much everything anyone could ever need to know about building your own leaders. Call HG's to reserve a seat if you think you can make it. (321)723-4751
  • idlerickidlerick Littleton, Colorado & Sarasota, FlaPosts: 236 Deckhand
    If your fly line doesn't have a built-in loop on the end, you'll save yourself trouble by tying on a Butt Section, a 2 ft piece of 30-40# mono. Tie it to the line with a nail knot, then tie the leader to that with a blood knot. Then when you change leaders, and you will every few trips, you don't have to bother with the complicated nail knot, just re-tie the new leader onto the butt and it only eats up a few inches of material.
    (They make a neat little tool called a Tie Fast for doing nail knots - makes them a lot easier.)
    Coat both knots with Pliobond or Zap-A-Gap. Use 2 coats and form a little football over the knots to help them pass thru the guides.
    Also add a Tippet Section to the end of the leader, a 2-4 ft piece of level nylon or fluorocarbon mono. If you try tying flies straight to the leader, you'll eat the leader up in no time. A blood knot or the Orvis Tippet Knot are good for this knot. Google all of these terms to see a graphic.
    For the tippet-to-fly, I always use a loop knot; it give the fly MUCH better action than a clinch or Uni. I use both the Non-Slip Mono Loop or the DOA knot, the latter being a lot faster.
    Practice your knots, and stick with the ones you tie best.
    And, as the others have said, stop in to your local shop to get leaders, tippet, tools, etc, and have them set you up the first time.
    :)
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 800 Officer
    Thanks guys. I'll start looking up these and get to practicing tying. Thanks for the invite for Saturday, I don't know our plans yet but I may take you up on the offer.
    rehartline wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'll start looking up these and get to practicing tying. Thanks for the invite for Saturday, I don't know our plans yet but I may take you up on the offer.

We'd love to see you there. Even if you can't make it, you're going to need some help from someone who has a little more background on the fishing you do, the rig you're using, and the flies you're planning to throw.
    If your fly line doesn't have a built-in loop on the end, you'll save yourself trouble by tying on a Butt Section, a 2 ft piece of 30-40# mono. Tie it to the line with a nail knot, then tie the leader to that with a blood knot.

I used to do it this way as well until a big fish stripped the fly line under the nail knot and off went the whole line!
    Now I make a loop at the end of the fly line using two nail knots and go loop to loop. Or better yet you can make your own loop connectors using Gudebrod 50# hollow mono. They stopped making it for a while but it is now available again. You can go to youtube and learn how to do it.
    mtd885 wrote: »
    If your fly line doesn't have a built-in loop on the end, you'll save yourself trouble by tying on a Butt Section, a 2 ft piece of 30-40# mono. Tie it to the line with a nail knot, then tie the leader to that with a blood knot.

I used to do it this way as well until a big fish stripped the fly line under the nail knot and off went the whole line!
    Now I make a loop at the end of the fly line using two nail knots and go loop to loop. Or better yet you can make your own loop connectors using Gudebrod 50# hollow mono. They stopped making it for a while but it is now available again. You can go to youtube and learn how to do it.

I don't think he was referring to a backing connection. Off the top of my head I can't think of any manufacturers excpet for cortland/teeny that aren't putting welded loops on their SW lines.

At this point nobody here has any idea if you're targeting bluegills or bluefin, so as nice as the gesture is, you would be doing yourself a huge favor by just going to your local shop. Anyone qualified to answer your questions would know better than to speak up without having any kind of insight into the fishing you're planning on doing.

No offense MTD, I know you were just doing damage control.
    None taken ODC :) It didn't occur to me he might be fishing blue gills. I revert to my original reply, get thee to a fly shop...LOL
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    :A with Ol' DirtyCaster, Orlando Outfitters will get you started in the right direction; spent some time in store today talking with Chris and he's very knowledgable and extremely helpful + he has lots of good stories. Another good site for knots is here at Yellowstone Anglers http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/GeorgeAndersonKnotDVD.asp and the DVD is extremely informative and well worth the price IMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS