Home General Paddle Craft

Kayak Fishing in the Lower Keys..........

My buddies and I are planning a trip to the lower keys in about a month or so.

Can anyone here recommend some inexpensive motels that are kayak friendly (as in safe to keep the yaks outside, etc.) and not really expensive and close to the lower keys?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2015 Hobie Outback fishing machine.

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 686 Officer
    Inexpensive is not part of the Keys code...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Old Wooden Bridge fish camp wouldn't be a bad place. Launch ramp right there and more places to launch a close drive.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    krash wrote: »
    Inexpensive is not part of the Keys code...

I've gone twice for a week and finding a room under $100 is an effort. Try the travel sites like Orbitz, Kayak, etc and then look at their locations on GoogleEarth, to see the actual layout and proximity to water access. Our best deal was a weekly rental on the water on Little Torch Key. You guys split a weekly rental of a house and it might be ok pricewise, plus you can cook your catch (and other meals) and spread out a bit.

Absolutely loved not having to do anything to the yak but beach it and go inside, and when I wanted to fish, shove it off and fish some more (for a week, no loading or unloading - that was heaven on earth). Had a wide channel with good current at the place plus large variety of flats, bay, shoreline, islands etc within 2 miles. I was after tarpon but also caught a wide variety including big sharks, permit, barracuda, grouper, etc. Having the type of water I wanted to fish where I stayed was great. I made a high priority of places based on the waters near it, past fishing reports and historical data. Never had a bad weather day because the launch and channel were relatively protected. All that worked great for me since I went to fish.
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    I don't know if this is too late or not, but try The Edgewater Lodge, it's right on the water at Long Key. Great fishing there all around the bridge. We stayed in Key West last year, then after driving half way back up the keys, we decided to stay another night. I booked a night at the Edgewater Lodge, through Booking.com, for $98.
    It's no luxury place at all, but if you just want a place to sleep when you're not fishing, it's perfect.
    At the long key bridge I caught Mangroves, grouper, yellowtails, even two hogfish on rod and line. There were Tarpon, Barracuda and Sharks also in the area.
    But it's not exactly Lower Keys, It's almost in the middle of them
    Sincerely Karl
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 562 Officer
    Thank you guys. I'll look into each of these.
    2015 Hobie Outback fishing machine.