Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Marsh Hen Recipes?

Anyone have any recipes for Marsh Hen? Not bad fried but I was looking for some other methods for serving them up. If anyone has any experiance please post a reply.

Thanks, :)
Yancey

Before
732cf506.jpg

After
913b6558.jpg

Replies

• YanceyMYanceyM Posts: 113 Officer
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,414 Officer
    YancyM, I just pulled out an OLD beat up single shot 410 shotgun from the safe that was given to me. I’m gonna give rail hunting a try and I plan on paddling through the Palm Valley marsh grass on these high afternoon tides.

I’ve been searching to see what type of shot is legal. I have not read anywhere in the regs that states you must shoot steel shot. Do you know if lead is allowed?

Regarding recipes it seems the old timers like marsh hens and they say it’s a tasty bird but they say to make sure you skin it rather than pluck it. I found this recipe that sounds pretty good:

Step 1: Start with 1 box of #8 shot, .410 gauge, 1 small boy, 1 old man, 1 jon boat, 1 push pole and one October 7 foot tide. Wash thoroughly after return trip home. Soak birds overnight in salted water. Store in refrigerator.

Step 2: Drain the birds the next day. Pat dry. Sprinkle liberally with garlic salt, seasoned salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Step 3: Mix equal amounts of instant mashed potato flakes and self rising flour. Set aside.

Step 4: Mix 2 parts prepared mustard and 1 part burgundy wine. Dip birds in wine-mustard mixture, shake in dry mixture.

Step 5: Fry until golden brown.
  • stokesstokes Posts: 324 Deckhand
    YancyM, I just pulled out an OLD beat up single shot 410 shotgun from the safe that was given to me. I’m gonna give rail hunting a try and I plan on paddling through the Palm Valley marsh grass on these high afternoon tides.

I’ve been searching to see what type of shot is legal. I have not read anywhere in the regs that states you must shoot steel shot. Do you know if lead is allowed?

Regarding recipes it seems the old timers like marsh hens and they say it’s a tasty bird but they say to make sure you skin it rather than pluck it. I found this recipe that sounds pretty good:

Step 1: Start with 1 box of #8 shot, .410 gauge, 1 small boy, 1 old man, 1 jon boat, 1 push pole and one October 7 foot tide. Wash thoroughly after return trip home. Soak birds overnight in salted water. Store in refrigerator.

Step 2: Drain the birds the next day. Pat dry. Sprinkle liberally with garlic salt, seasoned salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Step 3: Mix equal amounts of instant mashed potato flakes and self rising flour. Set aside.

Step 4: Mix 2 parts prepared mustard and 1 part burgundy wine. Dip birds in wine-mustard mixture, shake in dry mixture.

Recipe sounds awesome.

Does anyone know regs for marsh hens? Just looking for dates and bag limits. tyvmia
    Here are the regs but I am still unsure whether or not you have to use steel shot (?):

2011 season:

Rail and common moorhen
    Season: Sept. 1 – Nov. 9, 2011
    Shooting hours: one-half hour before sunrise to sunset
    Bag limits:
    Clapper and king rails – daily limit 15, possession limit
    30 (singly or in aggregate)
    Sora and Virginia rails – daily limit 25, possession
    limit 25 (singly or in aggregate)
    Common moorhen – daily limit 15, p
  • BakerActedBakerActed Posts: 285 Deckhand
    I do not know for sure but my guess would be that lead is not alowed being that it is not allowed in any other waterfowl hunting. You might want to let a gun smith look at that old .410 becasue a lot of older guns do not like the steel shot. They do make some other types of non-toxic shot for older guns it is just more expensive. Good luck!
  • YanceyMYanceyM Posts: 113 Officer

Thanks. :) That's sounds really tasty, I'll have to try that next time. I just used a little flour on the last ones.
    Here are the regs but I am still unsure whether or not you have to use steel shot (?):

I'm pretty sure you can't use lead. They make a "universal round" that shouldn't be as tough on the barrel as the steel and it cost less. And is approved for use to take waterfowl.
  • mcnallymcnally Posts: 358 Deckhand
    rail bird recipe.....

Breast only.....tho could use whole legs, tho, removed from breast.

Take large potatoes and cut across....spoon out most of the tater, and place pad of butter in each side, season, and place bird breast in one tater side; legs in the other, then "toothpick" tater back togetheer and put in oven for 45 minutes at 350.

Meat and taters in one sitting...do 2 per person, back "insides" of taters and make into mash...tho the baked birds have plenty of taters with them, and butter is there, too, with bird juice...my mom's old recipe from N.C.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,504 AG

2011 season:

Rail and common moorhen
    Season: Sept. 1 – Nov. 9, 2011
    Shooting hours: one-half hour before sunrise to sunset
    Bag limits:
    Clapper and king rails – daily limit 15, possession limit
    30 (singly or in aggregate)
    Sora and Virginia rails – daily limit 25, possession
    limit 25 (singly or in aggregate)
    Common moorhen – daily limit 15, p

I believe unless you are in a NWR or other place where lead is specifically prohibited, lead is fine legally. (just dont have a duck or **** in your possession if you get checked). You can shoot snipe and dove over water legally this I know for fact. You might just give FWC a ring to be sure about rails and clappers. It really doesn't make a lot of sense. I have heard for years that the lead ingestion hype in waterfowl is a complete bunch of BS. What is really **** is having to use non toxic shot to shoot geese in ducks in the same friggin field where dove are shot in droves with lead. ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tarpon1718 I like that recipe. THanks for adding it.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Lead seems to be the consensus although I still haven’t read it anywhere in black & white. It makes sense to me the steel is not necessary. I did post a thread about this subject on the FS Forum “Ask the Law!” and am still awaiting a definite answer. I’ll post it here if I get an official reply/answer.

BackerActed that was a great suggestion about being careful with an old shotgun and steel shot. Hopefully I won’t have to deal with that. I hope that South African Photo Safari went over good as a DU auction.

Brian
  • I don't normally try to help you guys on here, as most of you have me as your sworn enemy, being from NOOA and all.

But I think I'll help you on this one.

As part of my martial arts skills while training to be a special agent, I was to learn the ancient Chinese art of "hen snatching". I learned how to sneak up on those stupid marsh hens and grab them just before, and sometimes even as they took flight. And being a Ninja and all that, I must say that I was an excellent hen snatcher. Sometimes I would keep a few for the pot, too. So here's a recipe that I'd like to share.

First you take a large pot, and fill with a mixture of red wine and water, 50/50.

Add to that 3 medium onions, and a bit of salt to taste. You then want to bring this to a boiling point, but not quite boiling, while this is getting hot, open the birds and lightly butter them inside and out and set them on a ready grill.

Now back to the pot. By this time the water is "moving" so you'll want to add a half gallon of apple cider, and several cinnamon sticks. and set the pot on low or simmer.

By now the birds should be nice and brown, take them off the grill, and let cool for exactly 10 minutes.

Go back to the pot and strain the contents into a pitcher, or similar container. And carry it outside to an open fire pit.

Share the contents of the pitcher with your friends. and feed the birds to the dogs, they should be cool enough for them by now :p

Hope this helps.