Fishing has not been going well for me lately...

Pretty much since that tropical storm went through my fishing has been poor at best. I think I've jumped one tarpon out of the last 3 or 4 times out... normally this time of year I'm getting some double digit days. The bait that was in thick the past month (and getting better by the week) has pretty much vanished. I see a few straggler tarpon here and there but no more than what was around in March... and that's depressing.
Got on some nice ones in Boca last weekend but otherwise it's been a big bust.
Anyway... just wanted to vent.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Replies

• DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    That sucks man. Is it the water quality that's pushing the bait away. Not sure how the discharges affect you up north if any. I'm sure you get a lot of runoff too though. I know the bait is gone around here. Causeway is a ghost town in regards to bait. Found bait offshore, but the wind picked up and I had to run back in. The bait did not last long inside. Sad.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Mike RMike R Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Agreed, in Charlotte harbor bait and poons are scarce :fishingthat dang front.
  • Mike RMike R Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Think the full moon pulled the poons offshore to mate��
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,191 Captain
    Had to get this skunk off so I went out last night and jumped 5 tarpon. None made it to the boat but it was still fun. Up to 70 now for the year.
  • BlueRacerBlueRacer Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    IMHO the June hill tides in BGP have been terrible compared to May. Since at least Thursday there have been good numbers of mature tarpon in the upper harbor, but it's amazing how much they move around.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,191 Captain
    Agreed. I stayed out there for Father's day weekend and fished the whole time Saturday and Sunday and it was pretty sucky. The fishing was better there in March than it was that weekend. Luckily we found a pod and had them to ourselves for a couple hours on Sunday. While there I was reminded of why I never fish there... the assholery of 'guides' is just astounding. Had 3 different guides run right over the top of fish we were idling up on, on a flat and they were just oblivious to the fish or us. The only way I'm going back there during bumper boat season is if I have a backpack full of dynamite and one of those water balloon launching things.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,899 AG
    By the end of June, tarpon fishing becomes much tougher. The fish are doing their thing offshore, they move around more when they come back, and travel in smaller groups, and it will only continue to get harder and harder.

The good news is when they come back from offshore, they eat quite well and tend to follow the bait much more -- find the bait and some deeper water and you'll generally find them. If people run over the fish, like they did to you on a flat, the fish in deeper water don't care as much at least -- and they tend to eat better too.

Fishing after dark typically picks up again after the spawn, so there's always that too.

Late summer separates the men from the boys.

Good luck...>Mike
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,033 Officer
    the entire season has been weird fishing in Pinellas county. It seems every other trip out wind makes it to rough to fish beaches and passes, or storms move in early. Most days we saw plenty of fish when we could fish, but getting a bite was tough. Too many fish close to the boat just did not wanna eat, repeatedly. Only one day mid may did we see hundreds of fish everywhere (and only one bite). There's only been a few days with multiple fish for us - 1 fish / 1 bite / day was most common.
    Last week rocked for me...5 poons leadered/2 landed, one by my son(nothing better than catching poons with my boy!).
    Let's see what happens after this new moon, what the fish do and where the fish go. I would not be surprised if they July is a good month this year. Rigged with artificials for the morning. good luck summer **** fishing!