New hogfish regulations being floated

Havent seen you guys respond to this one yet...

http://www.flkeysnews.com/news/local/article85819887.html

My first thought was, well, that sucks. But I have to be honest, what sucks more is seeing people spear a load of 11.75" hogs. New regs could be good, though I think the season should be longer and bag limits a little bigger than what they're proposing.

Replies

• SeaJunky03SeaJunky03 Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    I think it's a good thing. A few years ago I would spear a couple nice males every time a went out. I haven't seen any nice size hogs in a couple years now (not looking that hard). But every time I see someone filleting a hog they speared it looks like an undersized female. The population has definitely dwindled significantly over the last few years and everyone is killing shorts.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,002 Captain
    We target them in the Lower Keys....definitely find a nice fish here or there but most the time debate whether to shoot a possible keeper or not so we pass them up. I could understand raising the size limit and maybe a possible seasonal closure but would have to read up on that further. No doubt there are not many keepers around when we go looking for them.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,208 Officer
    I'm thinking since more people are figuring out how to get them with hook and line that's having an effect on population. I'm sure it also triggered FWC and other agencies into making regs on them.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,707 Moderator
    Hate seeing regs added but in this case it may be necessary .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,246 Officer
    Undoubtedly, the explosion in popularity of spearfishing has put a lot of increased pressure on hogs, but the new proposal does seem somewhat harsh.