Buying A Water Bike, Help Needed!

juicerjuicer GreenhornPosts: 3 Greenhorn
I'm very keen to buy water bikes for me and my partner but we have absolutely no idea where to buy them from online and we don't know which companies sell them or what kind of money we should be expecting to spend. I've been looking on the net at water bikes for sale but am struggling to really find any information out. I was hoping I might get a few pointers here so if anyone can offer any advice then that would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards.

Replies

• Android77Android77 Deckhand Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Don't buy them they are absolutely useless and the only people that actually own them live on a lake and they sit in the backyard and kill the grass. A kayak or paddleboard has much more purpose and use. They are something that you rent when you are doing the tourist thing.
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Greenhorn Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    My wife and I rented two "Water Bikes" in the Caribbean. Don't bother, they are terrible. If you want to exercise then a kayak is way better, or a paddleboard. If you want to use your legs, then buy a Hobie Mirage Drive. Its just not a good purchase. You can only use them on inshore, calm water. Even then, if a boat or jetski passes by you closely, you're screwed! The center of balance is way too high!
    Sincerely Karl
  • juicerjuicer Greenhorn Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    juicer wrote: »
    I'm very keen to buy water bikes for me and my partner but we have absolutely no idea where to buy them from online and we don't know which companies sell them or what kind of money we should be expecting to spend. I've been looking on the net at water bikes for sale but am struggling to really find any information out. I was hoping I might get a few pointers here so if anyone can offer any advice then that would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards.

Well that is definitely a thumbs down then for the water bikes. Sounds like kayaking may be a more sensible path to go down. I will speak with my partner and we'll have a talk. We love the water so thought it would be good to get the water bikes. Glad I asked, wondered why I couldn't find much on them. Thanks
  • jawrayjawray Deckhand Posts: 303 Deckhand
  • jcanracerjcanracer Moderator Posts: 4,334 Moderator
    juicer wrote: »
    Well that is definitely a thumbs down then for the water bikes. Sounds like kayaking may be a more sensible path to go down. I will speak with my partner and we'll have a talk. We love the water so thought it would be good to get the water bikes. Glad I asked, wondered why I couldn't find much on them. Thanks

Hah, I originally didn't reply because I thought you were trolling us (I mean seriously, why does our subforum even have waterbikes in its description???). Now that I see your inquiry was serious, I apologize! Karl hit the nail on the head, they are dying out because they suck. Kayaks and paddleboards are so versatile nowadays, I am sure you will find something to fit your budget and requirements. Let us know if you want help narrowing it down. I assume this is for pleasure cruising and not fishing?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!