Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Favorite Grouper Recipes....

Since I once again finally have a few fillets in the freezer (thanks Tobias), I thought I would try a new recipe.

Found this one last night and it was very good. http://www.fishermanspost.com/2008/cape-fear-cookin/shrimp-grouper-florentine-with-fettuccine

One of my other favorites is: http://www.cfnews13.com/article/entertainment/2011/july/274504/BackFin-Blues-Grouper-Oscar Just awesome and overall pretty easy to make. The blender hollandaise is pretty good too.

If you like fried, which everyone does, here is a good one for that. Take corn flakes and smash them up to almost a powder. Then take sliced almonds and smash them up so they are pretty small as well. Not a powder but small flakes. Maybe 2 or 3 cups of the corn flakes and say 3/4 cup of the almonds. More if you like almonds. I do... Take the fillet and dip it in flour then in an egg/milk wash then into the corn flake mixture. Fry away... Muy Bueno...

If anyone has some great recipes, put them on here...
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,526 Captain
    I have gone back to frying after many years, stumbled on a great batter since I'm not a corn meal fan at all. Something like Bob's Chuckwagon Onion Ring Mix - got it at Sweet Bay to do Onion Rings but Susan just did both in same batter - outstanding and easy.
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • skiffin16skiffin16 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I like nuggets, using a little nutmeg in the meal adds a hint of additional flavor also..

738f3e96.jpg

Broiled Grouper Parmesan is pretty good also.

JG
    2007 HEWES Redfisher16 ~ FLORIDAYS
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    49cfe2f3.jpg

Another vote for fried nuggets with a side of shrimp and hush puppies.

First I give the fillets a light coating of plain yellow mustard and then bread them............I like Louisiana Brand Fish Fry with lemon.
  • flyinmike21flyinmike21 Posts: 17 Deckhand
    Grouper Picatta

1 lb Grouper
    1/2 cup flour
    Pinch of Salt/Pepper
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 egg
    1/4 cup white wine
    Zest & juice of 1 lemon
    1 garlic clove minced
    1/4 cup butter
    3 Tablespoons capers

Preheat the oven to 350. Rinse/pat fish dry. Mix flour with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil. Dip fish in egg, dredge in flour, place in skillet. Sear for 1-2 minutes on each side (golden brown). Place fish on baking sheet, reserving drippings in skillet. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until fish is nearly cooked through. Add wine, lemon zest, lemon juice and garlic to reserved drippings. Simmer until mixture is reduced in half. Stir in butter and capers. Return fish to skillet with mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Spoon sauce over fish and enjoy.

I'd put this recipe up against CaptainBly's grouper anyday....
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,105 Moderator
    My Grouper picatta recipe is very similar and is one of my favorites

I also like Parm Grouper

2 lbs fish fillet ( this works with most any white fish - Grouper, snapper, dolphin, halibut)
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 Cup grated parmeasean cheese
    1/4 Cup softened margarine
    3 Tablespoons mayonaise
    3 Tablespoons chopped green onion
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Tobasco to taste

Instructions:

Place fillets in a single layer greased baking platter and brush with lemon juice. Bake, covered for @ 15 minutes at 350* until fish is almost done. While fish is baking, combine remaining ingredients. When fish is almost done, remove from heat and pour off liquid. Spread cheese mixture over fish and return to broiler 2-3 minutes until mixture is brown and bubbly. (Watch this closely)
  • electricblueelectricblue Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Good thread. x2 for the parm grouper
    My Grouper picatta recipe is very similar and is one of my favorites

I also like Parm Grouper

2 lbs fish fillet ( this works with most any white fish - Grouper, snapper, dolphin, halibut)
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 Cup grated parmeasean cheese
    1/4 Cup softened margarine
    3 Tablespoons mayonaise
    3 Tablespoons chopped green onion
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Tobasco to taste

Instructions:

Place fillets in a single layer greased baking platter and brush with lemon juice. Bake, covered for @ 15 minutes at 350* until fish is almost done. While fish is baking, combine remaining ingredients. When fish is almost done, remove from heat and pour off liquid. Spread cheese mixture over fish and return to broiler 2-3 minutes until mixture is brown and bubbly. (Watch this closely)
  • tokinredtokinred Posts: 202 Officer
    I don't know what to call this recipe other than to say that is my wife's creation and it is awesome.
    Ingredients:
    1. One medium large onion chopped fine
    2. 3 stalks of celery chopped fine
    3. 5 medium cloves of garlic minced fine
    4. a couple of fresh basil leaves chopped extra fine
    5. 1/2 of a bell pepper chopped fine
    6. 1 can of Rotel tomatos, choose which level of spice you like (reg Rotel has a pretty good kick)
    7. 4 Tblsps of fresh squeezed lime juice

Saute all vegies in 4 Tblsps of olive oil till they are tender. Then add the basil, lime juice and Rotel tomatos. Stir that together and immediately pour it over two grouper filets (a 25" fish has the perfect filets for this recipe) that you have waiting in a 9.5 by 13 pyrex dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve over white rice. I have found that an ice cold Miller Lite goes great with this recipe. Then again, I have found very few things with which an ice cold Miller Lite does not go well:hungry
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,431 Captain
    tokinred wrote: »
    Then again, I have found very few things with which an ice cold Miller Lite does not go well:hungry

I second that opinion...
    edited August 2020 #10
    Made something the other night that was awesome.  We got a gag on Sunday so wanted to try something new.

2 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp butter

add 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper and 2 garlic cloves

1/2 cup chopped onion

Saute until tender

add one 9 oz bag spinach

after wilted push to edges making like a bowl in the middle and 

add 2 oz cream cheese

1/3 cup white white

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup parmesan

I probably went a little heavier than 1/2 cup cream and parmesan.  Basically make an alfredo'ish sauce.

I cut the fillet into I think 4 pieces.  Sprinkle Garlic powder, salt and pepper on fish and saute in another pan in olive oil and butter.  Cook for a few minutes on each side until ALMOST done.

Move fish to the parmesan/cream sauce mixture and let it finish cooking.

I made garlic bread but this would be awesome over noodles too.

It was excellent.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,012 AG
    For me Grouper is easy.   Redfish magic, blacken, Ciabatta roll with lettuce tomato, little tartar, red onion, and just a smidgen of hot sauce.   Fried grouper sammich is just as good.   I know all the fancy pants recipes are also fantastic.  But for me, just a sammich is perfect for this fish.  
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 921 Officer
    Made something the other night that was awesome.  We got a gag on Sunday so wanted to try something new.

2 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp butter

add 1 1/2 cups red pepper and 2 garlic cloves

1/2 cup chopped onion

Saute until tender

add one 9 oz bag spinach

after wilted push to edges making like a bowl in the middle and 

add 2 oz cream cheese

1/3 cup white white

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup parmesan

I probably went a little heavier than 1/2 cup cream and parmesan.  Basically make an alfredo'ish sauce.

I cut the fillet into I think 4 pieces.  Sprinkle Garlic powder, salt and pepper on fish and saute in another pan in olive oil and butter.  Cook for a few minutes on each side until ALMOST done.

Move fish to the parmesan/cream sauce mixture and let it finish cooking.

I made garlic bread but this would be awesome over noodles too.

It was excellent.

I hope we're talking 1.5 cups of red bell pepper and not crushed red pepper.  Otherwise we're going way past "Thai Hot" on the menu.  Lately I've been making coconut grouper sandwiches with the red grouper from this year.
    edited August 2020 #13
    Yeah, red bell pepper...
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 725 Officer
    edited August 2020 #14
    I've been making a super simple recipe that does require an ingredient you won't find at your local Publix, though if there's an Asian market in your town it'll be very easy to find. Very quick to put together and just needs a vegetable on the side to be a full meal. I make it most often with whole fillets from small snappers like lanes or beeliners, but it works great with grouper too. Good use for the thinner pieces of the fillet near the tail.

Grouper (or any white fish) sliced into portions no more than 3/4" thick
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic powder
    Chinese Five-Spice
    White rice (plain long grain works fine, jasmine or basmati are my favorites)
    Szechuan chili oil (like I said, available in any Asian market or any grocery store with a big international section)

Wash the rice in a mesh strainer til the water coming out the bottom is pretty much clear, then steam/boil/cook it whatever way you want with a bit of salt (maybe 1/2 tsp per 1/4 cup dry rice).

Liberally season fish with salt, pepper, garlic, and five-spice

Get some neutral oil (vegetable, canola, grapeseed, etc) in a skillet over high heat and pan-sear the fish. For grouper I shoot for 130F internal temp, but if the fillet is thin enough you can just do 2 min per side as a starting point (for the snapper fillets I do this with often, it takes barely over a minute per side). Just make sure the spices don't burn, if you're doing this with a really thick piece of fish either dial back the heat or give it a quick sear on both sides then stick the pan in a 400F oven til it finishes cooking.

Place fish atop rice in a wide bowl, spoon as much chili oil as you can handle over the top. REALLY dang tasty and it's got flavors that not many fishermen I've met in FL are used to pairing with fish. 

There are good brands of store-bought chili oil for sure, but if you really want to take this (and SO many other foods) to the next level, making your own is pretty easy as well. This is a condiment that deserves way more recognition in our country.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 152 Deckhand
    edited August 2020 #15
    Redfish Magic , butter and hot cast iron.  Top with a little fish sauce and sliced Bird Chili .  The admiral has moved my grouper blacking missions out to the back deck due to excessive smoke and loud music.
    Everglades 243
    Redfish Magic , butter and hot cast iron.  Top with a little fish sauce and sliced Bird Chili .  The admiral has moved my grouper blacking missions out to the back deck.
    Cast iron goes perfectly on the grill just watch the turn, a few years ago blackened salmon burned the living hell out of my wrist because butter splashed out of the pan.  
    Redfish Magic , butter and hot cast iron.  Top with a little fish sauce and sliced Bird Chili .  The admiral has moved my grouper blacking missions out to the back deck due to excessive smoke and loud music.
    Last month I finally got around to upgrading our range vent hood and venting it out through the roof instead of recirculating back into the kitchen.  It's been a life saver, as far as cast iron cooking goes.  I love my cast iron.
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 135 Deckhand
    Grouper is so versatile since it is so thick and flakey and holds it's moisture and flavor. My personal favorites are: groupers nugs cut thick, blackened super hot finished in the oven (either make my own blackening without salt or use redfish magic), Baked with creamy sauce and finished in a white whine pan on stovetop... I dont have real recipes because I am typically freestyling with what I have in the fridge 
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
    Grouper is so versatile since it is so thick and flakey and holds it's moisture and flavor. My personal favorites are: groupers nugs cut thick, blackened super hot finished in the oven (either make my own blackening without salt or use redfish magic), Baked with creamy sauce and finished in a white whine pan on stovetop... I dont have real recipes because I am typically freestyling with what I have in the fridge 
    I do the same thing.   I"ll have to try fried grouper nuggets now though.   I've never done grouper tacos either but sounds like a good idea.   
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 135 Deckhand
    I do the same thing.   I"ll have to try fried grouper nuggets now though.   I've never done grouper tacos either but sounds like a good idea.   
    Long story short -> you cant go wrong with grouper
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
    Long story short -> you cant go wrong with grouper
    Maybe if you smoked it...?