kayaking around Ft. Lauderrdale

Keith BKeith B Posts: 128 Officer
I am wondering if there is any opportunities for me to get my kayak out around Ft. L?
I am coming down July5th and dont want to lug it down if there are no opportunities to get out on it.
Thanks for any help you can give. I am not looking for secret spots just general fishing areas.
Keith

feel free to send me a private message if that is preferred.

Replies

• sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Ft lauderdale go off shore from dania
    Hobie outback
  • webbwebb Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Keith B wrote: »
    I am wondering if there is any opportunities for me to get my kayak out around Ft. L?
    I am coming down July5th and dont want to lug it down if there are no opportunities to get out on it.
    Thanks for any help you can give. I am not looking for secret spots just general fishing areas.
    Keith

feel free to send me a private message if that is preferred.

Hollywood has 2 launch spots 1 south and 1 north
  • Keith BKeith B Posts: 128 Officer
    I would prefer to not get into the offshore in my kayak. Is there a place i can go to catch species like snook, trout, etc... without going all the way to a place like flamingo. I dont have that kind of time on this trip.
    Thanks guys
    Keith
  • krashkrash Posts: 634 Officer
    Not that many salty spots in Ft. L, but a short drive is Morning Side park in ur-ami is maybe the close'st spot to Ft. L. (Basically donw I-95 to 79th st, E to Biscayne, and a few blocks South. Other than that we Fl'rs got to Choko, Stuart, or Mingo.

You might also try N. Lake and/or West Lake in Hollywood, there are sometimes Snook caught in them areas.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Keith BKeith B Posts: 128 Officer
    Thanks so much for the info, any opportunity to get in the kayak and fish a new spot with a chance to hook something is a good place to me. I will check out the spots you mentioned.
    Keith
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    I would prefer to not get into the offshore in my kayak. Is there a place i can go to catch species like snook, trout, etc... without going all the way to a place like flamingo. I dont have that kind of time on this trip.
    Thanks guys
    Keith

Paddle the New River with live mullets. You'll get your chances at Tarpon,Snook,Jack,Shark, and Barracuda. I lived on the river for 5 years. Big fish back there.
  • webbwebb Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys
    Keith

if you go to west lake go north of Sheridan st. there's a couple of bridges and culverts to fish I've gotten snook, mangrove snapper and small cuda's back there
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,795 Captain
    Launch at any of the boat launches. I live on the Sth fork of the New River and at various times there are Snook, Tarpon, Jack Cravelle, Mangrove Snapper, Triple tail and Catfish right off my dock. ICW night time fishing is best for tarpon and snook. There are some huge Tarpon in the river. Slow trolling a live mullet can be deadly. Good luck