Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tailers for days..

Been fishing the goon quite a bit lately... Not really by choice but all my go to summertime spots were basically ground zero of the fish kill and I just haven't really had the gumption to go out and look at em just yet.. So I have been making the hour drive north up to the skeeter.. The bite has been very consistent on artificial.. Here is a little taste of what I have been finding out there on nearly every flat..

Since that little tropical storm rolled through and the subsequent rainy days after, plus more consistent south winds, the water levels have risen in the past week or so.. Still seeing tails, but less of them because the fish have more water over their back and it has allowed them to spread out more and they are less concentrated than they have been, but still pretty easy to find.. When they are tailing, about the only thing I have had luck on is small shrimp imitations.. I have been getting a ton of short strikes as well, missing 5 or more fish per trip.. Not sure why that is, could be the terrible visibility.. The water is straight doo doo out there.. When they're tailing they are so wrapped up in what they are rooting on that most fish you literally have to touch with the lure to get them to notice it.. A good handful of the reds I have been catching recently were cane poled right at the side of the kayak close enough to where I can touch them with the rod tip.. The vis is that bad that you can get that close to them.. We actually observed a group of tailers flushing out and eating shrimp around 2" in size... We sat there for about 15 minutes just watching these reds be redfish and it was awesome.. Love that place.. Been averaging anywhere from 5-10 reds per trip.. All slotties, no heroes.. Fishing in about 10" of water though so you can only fit so much redfish in water that skinny.. Here are a few from recent trips..

Cool story about this trout.. I'm out there poling around in the yak and I hear a disturbance overhead.. I look up to see a bald eagle in hot pursuit of an osprey who had a fish.. Really neat watching em, like a WWII dog fight.. Went on for a few minutes until the osprey bailed out, dropped his fish and **** near hit me in the head with it.. Pretty neat to see!

Replies

• beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Nice report and cool story. I want to get back up there, and if I could rely on the tailers I would. Last couple of times have just been pure frustration because of the lack of water clear enough for sight fishing.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,929 AG
    Nice work marc....

I really miss my redfish....seeing one or two in a morning of fishing makes me kinda sad for what used to be....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,032 Officer
    Way to go and make the best out of a bad situation. If the vis stays that bad, maybe FWC will open a redfish gigging season?
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    Net 30 wrote: »
    Way to go and make the best out of a bad situation. If the vis stays that bad, maybe FWC will open a redfish gigging season?

:rotflmao
  • Clements08Clements08 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Is this the southern end of the lagoon was going to go out there Friday any info would be helpful. Thanks
  • avidone1avidone1 Posts: 139 Officer
    Great Catch....I never saw that type shrimp before...similar to a doa but with a few more wiggly parts. LOL Is it the live target rigged shrimp?
    Clements08 wrote: »
    Is this the southern end of the lagoon was going to go out there Friday any info would be helpful. Thanks

In the past couple weeks I've fished anywhere from the **** end of the south goon all the way up to edgewater and found plenty of fish each trip

avidone1 wrote: »
    Great Catch....I never saw that type shrimp before...similar to a doa but with a few more wiggly parts. LOL Is it the live target rigged shrimp?

It's a savage gear 3D manic shrimp in the 2" size.. great little mini shrimp to throw at tailers.. plus they are made of that seriously tough stretchy plastic and you can catch fish after fish on em.. I rig them on a 1/0 weedless weighted hook and you can rig them both forwards or backwards .. Just don't store them with traditional soft plastics or they melt..
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    ^^^ my go to rig for tailers too. They seem to love it crawling by them instead of "popping" it off the bottom
    ^^^ my go to rig for tailers too. They seem to love it crawling by them instead of "popping" it off the bottom

It's a killer little shrimp... I usually rig it front ways, so I can do just like you said and barely drag it.. When I rig it backwards I like to pop it more to imitate a shrimp being spooked up... The small size of it is great because it's more representative of the size shrimp that the fish are naturally encountering on the flats..