Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Snappers V/S Pilot House which do U prefer? Which else on the water in Largo U like ?

Have not been to either in a while. Foodies :Which one is better or whatnot? Value/service?

Is there any other spot on the water You prefer in Key Largo?

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    I have not been to either in a long time but Ii rated them the same. Good not exceptional except snappers is more rustic and outdoorsy.key largo also has Sundown the cheeky at Gilbert's, Drive a little further south and you have Loralie or Marker 88 both are good.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • gtpvettegtpvette Posts: 181 Officer
    I've been to just about every place in Key Largo. I like Snooks Bayside or Bayside Grill (behind Cafe Largo which has really good food as well). Both right at MM100 by the light
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tropic RatTropic Rat Posts: 113 Deckhand
    I was in Islamorada this week and S/W some locals that felt PH and S were fraught with over cooked fish and spotty service . Most felt a lack of value for your $$.

I like Snooks myself- and going to try Bayside grill- this weekend however, will be going to MM88.
    This Thursday the 5th Marrvelous Pet Rescue will be at Bayside Grill in Key Largo for Yappy Hour from 7-9 PM. I'll be bringing our foster pup Rexx. He's right at a year old and we think a Boxer mix. He's really sweet,, good with our two Labs and has lots of energy! Come by have an adult beverge, watch the sunset and see all the dogs looking for a new home!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK0wsGrDc9k&feature=youtu.be
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,207 AG
    Next Thursday, I'll be taking some guys to The Turtle at Snapper's. Snapper's has an indoor bar and restaurant and two outdoor bars and restaurants. The bar way out at the end of the docks in The Turtle and it's a locals hang out and lots of fun! Good food too.

Snook's is very good and great fun at sunset when they ring the ship's horn! A bit pricey but the onion crusted hogfish will make you want to lick your plate!

Bayside Grill is just south of there and also has good food. Only been there for lunch.

We also like Island Grill. Head oceanside between the Denny's and Shell World. 2nd Ave I think. Get any of the tuna dishes.

Pilot House continues to disappoint us for dinner but lunch there is pretty good. Good outside bar with live music.

Jimmy Johnson's Big Chill (bayside) has good food and a huge and active outdoor bar. Great jerk wings and really good pizza.

Skip Marker 88 and go on down to Lazy Days around mm80-82 oceanside.
    gtpvette wrote: »
    This Thursday the 5th Marrvelous Pet Rescue will be at Bayside Grill in Key Largo for Yappy Hour from 7-9 PM. I'll be bringing our foster pup Rexx.

Sorry that I'll miss that. It would have been great to meet you and to see all the doggies!
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Everything Gary said!
  • robert cibranrobert cibran Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Try the orignal Mrs. Mac, small wood building, not fancy, great food
  • snookerf150snookerf150 Posts: 298 Officer
    Gary M wrote: »
    Next Thursday, I'll be taking some guys to The Turtle at Snapper's. Snapper's has an indoor bar and restaurant and two outdoor bars and restaurants. The bar way out at the end of the docks in The Turtle and it's a locals hang out and lots of fun! Good food too.

Snook's is very good and great fun at sunset when they ring the ship's horn! A bit pricey but the onion crusted hogfish will make you want to lick your plate!

Bayside Grill is just south of there and also has good food. Only been there for lunch.

We also like Island Grill. Head oceanside between the Denny's and Shell World. 2nd Ave I think. Get any of the tuna dishes.

Pilot House continues to disappoint us for dinner but lunch there is pretty good. Good outside bar with live music.

Jimmy Johnson's Big Chill (bayside) has good food and a huge and active outdoor bar. Great jerk wings and really good pizza.

Skip Marker 88 and go on down to Lazy Days around mm80-82 oceanside.

100 percent spot on
  • pepe-2327pepe-2327 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    If you like something informal but great fresh food, go to Key Largo Fisheries. No A/C and no servers, they have a nice patio deck where you can sit down and enjoy your food. Pretty crowded lately.
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    Our favorite since Calypsos closed up is the Backyard Cafe at Key Largo Fisheries. Love the fried whole ytail!

BTW, went to Lazy Days, Isla.yesterday for lunch via skiff. Oceanside table, very good service, I had "best cracked conch" app and she had "onion-crusted hogfish sammie. The conch pales in comparasion to Calypsos, soggy breading,decent portion for 12.99. Her sandwich had but a trace of caramelized onion, fish was a very skimpy portion with thick panko, very good french fries tho. I know, its perfect for tourists, which we are not.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    The trend in Keys restaurants is this:
    Open up, get a good following based on good dishes at acceptable costs, back it up with good service and a great atmosphere.
    Once the good following is established, raise the costs on all items on the menu, while seriously diminishing the quality and quantity of every dish.
    Loose your good server base because your customer base is complaining about the increased prices and decreased portions/quality, and management does nothing.
    Attempt to exist on your former glory, and atmosphere, with rude service, mediocre dishes, and extremely high prices.
    Wonder why your customer base has become only tourists.
    Backlash wrote: »
    The trend in Keys restaurants is this:
    Open up, get a good following based on good dishes at acceptable costs, back it up with good service and a great atmosphere.
    Once the good following is established, raise the costs on all items on the menu, while seriously diminishing the quality and quantity of every dish.
    Loose your good server base because your customer base is complaining about the increased prices and decreased portions/quality, and management does nothing.
    Attempt to exist on your former glory, and atmosphere, with rude service, mediocre dishes, and extremely high prices.
    Wonder why your customer base has become only tourists.

+1 Well said......

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • buzzard302buzzard302 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Not on the water, but last time I was in Key Largo, I enjoyed Hobo's. Good food, staff was friendly.
    Interesting thread. Some places that some people love, we've had bad luck at and vice versa. The list of places that we've tried and won't return is a bit longer than those we enjoy.

We do consistently enjoy Hobo's whether it's 'cook-my-grunts' night (delicious!) or a nice lunch with a lamb burger. A great staff and owner too and we enjoy supporting them.......

We have only been there a few times, but we've also had good luck at Skipper's Dockside right behind the Holiday Inn where the glass bottom boat and the African Queen are located. Pretty good drinks, great live music and good food.
    Try the orignal Mrs. Mac, small wood building, not fancy, great food

Yes! Much better than the other Mrs Mac's just a mile away in the middle of the highway......
    Mrs Backlash and I went to Skippers for the first time a while back...
    Was very impressed by their Disney-harboresque faux scenery complete with replica Mako hanging from its head, not tail? Authentico.lol.
    Ordered cocktails and was in the mood for a nice conch salad, so placed the order. When the salad showed up, it was the standard arrangement of tomatoes, onions, peppers hot&mild, in a citrus juice.. But the conch consisted of pieces of operculum and skin in entirety.
    There was no actual white conch meat, only waste and slop.
    When I asked the bartender/server what the deal was, he looked at me like I was an alien because he had just moved here from Ohio or some **** place. He called over his mngr. who also apparently didn't know the difference between conch meat and waste. I explained it'd be like getting a fish sandwich, with nothing but bones, blood meat, and skin... Blank stares.
    We finished up our drinks, and did a farewell toast to the hallowed grounds of the ol tacky Coconuts.

Hobos does good. I live a few blocks away. Their churrasco skirt, w/ loaded baked potato and a chalice of Stella- yessir.

The Catch, is interesting...The old Paradise Pub bldg, across from Murray Nelson. Pretty good fare, decent prices. They've got down-home, and some pretty elaborate entrees as well, full bar, they do a good job. Have a great local following, but no nautical ambiance. Definitely get the cayenne shrimp app. Killer.

Fish House Encore is a good place to drop some coin on food and drink.

Cafe Largo does real good on the food and wine. Our favorite Italian place.

Old Tavernier is prob my favorite... But it's not in KL.

Shipwrecks is a funky stop on the water... Garden Cove, just inside N. Sound Creek.

To the OP- I prefer Pilot House for the food/bar (oyster shooters) and prefer Snappers for the boating access and scenery/ambiance.. But not real crazy about either.
    So, no help here, lol.

I miss the old Cracked Conch, up by KLS... That was real Keys.
    And the Captains Cabin, right on crash corner...
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Gary M wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Some places that some people love, we've had bad luck at and vice versa. The list of places that we've tried and won't return is a bit longer than those we enjoy.

We do consistently enjoy Hobo's whether it's 'cook

The main thing I have noticed about Keys eateries is the help changes constantly. one trip you will have a great cook or waitress the next
    time they have changed and it can be totally different experience.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
    Backlash wrote: »
    The Catch, is interesting...The old Paradise Pub bldg

Cafe Largo does real good on the food and wine. Our favorite Italian place.

Old Tavernier is prob my favorite... But it's not in KL.

Shipwrecks is a funky stop on the water... Garden Cove, just inside N. Sound Creek.

We keep saying that we ought to bring a bag of fish into The Catch so maybe we'll try it.

We saw Cafe Largo on Diner's, Drive ins & Dives and were impressed with what we saw. They also did an episode with the Green Turtle Inn in Islamorada and when the chef said that he uses ketchup in a dish, we just groaned!

Dinner twice at Old Tav and enjoyed it.

We'll try Shipwrecks... thanks.

Also at Garden Cove is Buzzard's Roost. First time there a boat was taking on gas and stunk the place up so didn't go back until a few months ago and the last two times, we had a pretty nice lunch there.

I'm meeting a Forum guy tonight at Bayside Grill for drinks and dinner and that will be my first dinner there but we've enjoyed a few lunches there.

Sharkey's on the upper canal in Port Largo? Only had a few lunches there but a local friend raves about their good (and cheap) breakfasts.

We love Made2Order just off Tavernier Creek for breakfast or lunch. My latest Capt Yuri Tortugas crew all met up there last Friday for breakfast and no one has ever complained. They catered my birthday party two years ago and the food was great. LOTS of easy dockage there too and not uncommon to see the Coasties tied up there having lunch.
    Love the Backlash resturant formula - found it to be true since the late 60"s.

Nothing new under the sun.

Sometimes I wonder if the owners of some of these places don't know any better because they are used to the bad value swill they got used to eatin' in the midwest where they came from, or they just think locals know no better and that the customer base is all no-clue travelers.
    "Oh we'll just gash them while the're, here cause they ain't coming back to the Keys again anyway!"

An update: made a visit to the Pilot House one week then Snappers the next - both were a loss. Our party left feeling we got Jobbed. Looks like it will be another long time before a return.

Lazy Day's: sat out on the veranda, a nice setting - but I guess that's what we paid for cause the fish was micro portion, over seasoned & slow served with indiffrent waiters. Surely not their best effort and not near that of a few years ago.

I did however bring a group to Marker 88 and suprise! They hit it out of the Park! the food, especially the appetizers were good and wonders of wonder the drinks actually had booze in them.
  • Sting RaySting Ray Posts: 11 Greenhorn
  • KmonKmon Posts: 806 Officer
    I have only been to a couple but snooks is my Fav. Onion crusted hog YUMMY
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Sent my kids to Lazy Days for his birthday with a bag of Yellowtail filets. They left the leftovers in my frig, and when I went to check it out. surprise! the Yellowtail had turned into Mahi. Not good. My kids don't know the difference, but some of us do. I won't be sending anybody there again anytime soon.
  • KmonKmon Posts: 806 Officer
    CaptJ wrote: »
    Sent my kids to Lazy Days for his birthday with a bag of Yellowtail filets. They left the leftovers in my frig, and when I went to check it out. surprise! the Yellowtail had turned into Mahi. Not good. My kids don't know the difference, but some of us do. I won't be sending anybody there again anytime soon.

Well that sucks!!!! We love that place. Never had a bad meal.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,427 Officer
    CaptJ wrote: »

Next time (If ever) give them some kingfish steaks, i bet they won't switch those out. LOL

Oops ! i just realized that fillets must be deboned for this place. Oh well, i guess i will have to cook my king steaks myself.
    Giimoozaabi
    Quick update: Did Snappers- it was all good!
    Did Skippers (mistake) Dockside- because it was a mistake!

Wot sez U : the dinner scouts of the Cayo's? any updates?
  • EdBEdB Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    No mention of the Fish House??? Did this place go south? I haven't been down to KL in a while but it was my go-to
    restaurant. ALWAYS packed and a minimum of an hour wait to get in...........
    Tropic Rat wrote: »
    Quick update: Did Snappers- it was all good!
    Did Skippers (mistake) Dockside- because it was a mistake!

Wot sez U : the dinner scouts of the Cayo's? any updates?

Can't say I didn't give fair warning... Lol. Place is a joke.
    EdB wrote: »
    No mention of the Fish House??? Did this place go south? I haven't been down to KL in a while but it was my go-to
    restaurant. ALWAYS packed and a minimum of an hour wait to get in...........

Fish House is decent. Fish House Encore is better.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,155 Officer
    pepe-2327 wrote: »
    If you like something informal but great fresh food, go to Key Largo Fisheries. No A/C and no servers, they have a nice patio deck where you can sit down and enjoy your food. Pretty crowded lately.

Have been very happy w their food!